Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have an ac that is giving cool but not cold air from the drivers side vents, the passengers side is cold.
i had taken it to an indy mechanic a few months ago for a whistling noise coming from the vents. the whistling noise is quieter but not gone.
here are the codes. and the interpretation from eclassbenz.com thanks
sensor code
1 102
2 85
3 57
4 57
5 64
6 184
7 11
8 111

trouble codes
EB1234
EB 1416

Interpretaion
Your refrigerant temperature sensor indicates 111 degrees ,which is warmer than the outside air. This is good. When the refrigerant is warmer than the outside air, it can transfer heat out of the car. This means that your a/c is working but just barely. This is a sign of low refrigerant rather than something more serious like total compressor failure(although your compressor may be leaking)
Code B1234 Explanation: This sensor detects strong sunlight and increases the fan speed slightly.This sensor is not critical.
Code B1416 Explanation:The coolant circulation pump powers the REST residual engine heat function and may be involved in circulating coolant after the engine shuts off to help with engine cooling.

Would appreciate any help with troubleshooting this. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
It does seem to indicate low refrigerant. I would connect a set of gauges to read the pressures at the compressor. #7 is at the receiver, and there is no low-side reading at the pushbutton unit. Check the pressures at 1500 RPM.

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
931 Posts
Driver/Passenger Cooling

Here is my experience, as of yesterday. Ran the diagnosis tool with the read-outs and a number of error codes. It told me that the evaporator temperature sensor and others were malfunctioning and that I was low on coolant. EC light off. Cleared all the codes.

I bought a refrigerant refill kit at Wallyworld and added one can. Sensor 7, refrigerant pressure, increased from 3 to 9 and the passenger side started blowing cool, driver's side slightly warm.

The difference between the driver's and passenger's temperatures led me to open the duovalve, which seemed clean and free to operate.

Then I added a second can of refrigerant, increasing sensor 7 to read 14. Now the passenger side was cold, driver side unchanged. There was a hissing sound heard from the center vent. From posts on this site, the hissing indicates low refrigerant.

So added a third can, which barely increased the pressure to 15, but the driver's side started blowing cold and the hissing sound from the center vent went away. Yay!

From this I conclude that low pressure obviously leads to a loss of cooling. When you add refrigerant the pressure increases up to the point where a vapor/liquid, pressure/temperature equilibrium is reached. Cooling can happen. Adding yet more refrigerant does not increase the pressure, but only adds to the inventory of condensed liquid. For some reason cooling starts at the passenger side, and spreads to the driver side when there is enough refrigerant in the system.

Obviously if you keep on filling you will reach an overfill point, but the evidence is that if you have hissing, or the driver side is not cold, then you need to add more refrigerant. This is why there are many posts where the passenger side is cold, the driver side is not.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Indeed, low refrigerant does cause a loss of cooling. What most people don't realize is that it also causes a loss of compressor lubrication. The oil is dissolved in the refrigerant.

I wish they didn't sell the cheap recharge kits, because they are one path to destruction of your system. A real gauge set is not very expensive, and I highly recommend using one.

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
When you refill the system, do you turn engine on? I have no cool air from vents at all, and thinking about to add a few cans of refrigant.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
ifs

run the diagnostics and post the values.
To the gent who had to add 3 cans of r134a the leak is so large you wasted your time,all you discovered is you have a major leak which could have been done with the diagnostics.You now need to get a dye kit or the super sensitive electronic sniffer at harbor freight tools and sniff out the leak and repair it,before it leaks down again and destroys the compressor.

on the cover of the ecu on the pass side engine compartment is the total weight of r134a and refer oil needed for the system.To locate the leak and fix it properly is going to take evacuation of the system, leak detection and repair,a new drier and new oil and full charge of r134a by weight.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
ohlord,

Is possible to run diagnostic test thru a/c system get some codes and start from that point? I have seen somthing like that on youtube, but verbal instructions was on dutch lang. What guy performed on that video clip was that he set one side of climatronic (dual clima) to HI and other side LO and pushed and hold ec and rest buttons for couple seconds till err and codes were dsiplayed.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts