Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the panel out and it comes apart very easily, has anyone ever repainted the paper piece (white area) on these to eliminate the dull/aging color, or would that prevent the lighting from coming through the back of the panel? It seems like the white paper may be a special type and perhaps white touch up paint on the areas that show through the face will not light up at night like they should.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
I did it to mine--which is different from yours, but similar. Go to a hobby shop--they sell transparent paint for just this sort of thing. it will look white in day time and a glowing white at night.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,500 Posts
I used white correction fluid (liquid paper) on some small spots.. I'm sure you could replace it with any good paper. The lights are refracted by the clear plastic too. If I recall the lights are actually in front of the paper so the paper doesn't need to be transparent?
Now that I look closer, do you have a clear plastic piece between the front piece and the paper?

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did it to mine--which is different from yours, but similar. Go to a hobby shop--they sell transparent paint for just this sort of thing. it will look white in day time and a glowing white at night.
Thanks Robert, I'll check out the transparent paint, the other thought I had was take the original paper backing to a copy center and do a color copy of it and see if I couldn't come up with a decent duplicate.

Appreciate the response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts