Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a AC/Heater Control unit. Where is a good place to buy one? AC blows cool air for about 5 mins then blows hot. Took it to an ac place. They charged the ac and it still blew cool then hot. AC shop was able to by pass the control unit and ac worked normal. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
Hang on! Are you 100% sure its the climate control unit because a failed sensor will also do the same thing. If you have the LCD version you can check for codes that a resident within the climate system. Put the left side on HI and the right on low with the key in the second position but do not have the car on. Then press and hold both the EC and REST buttons until the screen blanks - then press the right auto button until you see a FF. In between if there are any codes you'll see a b followed by 4 digits. Write those down.

A evap sensor, or any of the sensor that are attached to the drier if they are beyond limits will shut down the system. If your AC bypassed the system he probably shorted across the compressor which bypasses the MB shutdown.

Try this first. An controller at the dealership is major $$$$$$ and even on eBay they arent' so cheap - you also have to code them properly for you car to work which you can do manually but you need to know the P1 and P2 programming codes for you specific car. If the codes are wrong things don't exactly work properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I won't be home till tomorrow and will try this weekend and report back. Thanks again

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I tried the trick to get the codes and here is what came up:
E61 230
E61 232
E61 233
E61 416

What do these codes mean?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have these codes:
1 261
2 80
3 82
4 81
5 261
6 79
7 6
8 79
9 0
10 6.0
20 0
21 0
22 0
23 0
24 12.0
40 8
41 5
42 248
43 14

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
You do not need a CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT it is working fine. Thats good news but you do need at least 1 or more sensors.

The codes are read (e)error and its a B not a 6 followed by the code.

E B1230 Evaporator temperature sensor (B10/6)
E B1232 Refrigerant pressure sensor (B12)
E B1233 Refrigerant temperature sensor (B12/1)
E B1416 Coolant circulation pump (M13)

Looking at your sensor data a couple of things look way out of wack. First the first sensor which is the in car temp. It looks like its broken as it shouldn't read that high. Also the number 5 is alway way out of wack which is the evaporator temp sensor which is attached to the evap under the dash. Any of these sensors could cause the system to stop running.

Your P1 and P2 codes are the last two sensor numbers and they look ok. The codes thrown also could be misleading as one or both of the sensors are messed up. The good news is that your car still has a decent amount of gas of 6 BAR which is the 6 sensor. If the car was out of gas or low it would be 0 or about 3-4. The compressor is definately not running

First see if the in car temp is sort of working by putting a tissue on the small grille located next to the dome light. If it sticks up there with the car running the small fan is running. If not vacuum it and try again. Nothing - the sensor is definately shot. If it sticks on its own the sensor still is broken. I suspect its broken and should be replaced. Clear the climate control codes after replacing the switch. If the evap sensor is shot you have to replace it and clear the codes again.

Clear the codes by entering the diag mode again do the same thing - collect the error codes and then press both AUTO buttons for 5 seconds before pressing the REST key.

I'd replace the in car temp which is under the dome light first - it isn't cheap but its easy to replace. The evap sensor is cheap but its harder - never needed to do that.

The other sensor - refrig temp sensor is not easy because I think you have to remove the gas from the car to replace it. Its not a Schrader type thats just screwed in/out with the gas still in the system. Some cars have this the BENZ doesn't.

·
Registered
W208 320 Cab
38 Posts
If it helps I've just taken my temp sensor out out to clean it and it was OK bit of fluff but nothing major, was a bit of a pain to remove as it clicks in and no way to access the clips I also managed to throw it across the floor unplanned, back in and working thou,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I checked the cabin temp sensor by the dome light. No suction. I cleaned the vents and still no suction. So I will buy a new sensor and report back. Going out of town tomorrow for a couple of days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been a while but I wanted to report back with results:

I changed the in car temp sensor and I still had hot air blowing in.

I already had ordered a climate control unit, so I put it in. Still hot air. Took it out and put in original climate control unit. Anyone interested in a climate control unit let me know.

Changed the evap sensor, bingo. I now have cool air. Not hard to change. Follow link for instructions. It only took about 20 mins.

Here are my new numbers.
1 261
2 95
3 90
4 86
5 89
6 181
7 12
8 133
9 -1
10 6.0
20 0