Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get some ac going in my new to me 380 and am looking for tips to check and see if the compressor is good. The system has been changed over to R134 at some point. When I turn on the ac system the motor acts like there a load put on it but the clutch on the compressor doesn’t spin. I disconnected the 2 connections at the dryer and jumped them with a wire both with the key on and running, nothing happened. I also,put a test light on each of those dryer connections, didn’t show any power. Any other tests? Pictured are the connectors I jumped.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Electric blue Valve

·
Registered
1983 380SL
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the key on, but the engine stopped, do you hear a click from the compressor clutch when you select A/C?
Can you manually turn the inner section of the hub on the front of the compressor (engine shut off of course)? It's the inner flat ring that's ~3" in diameter and on the very front of the clutch, it should turn smoothly with some resistance, no gritty or lumpy parts.
the clutch does turn with a little resistance.

·
Registered
1983 380SL
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anything else that should be replaced with the compressor? I’ve replaced the dryer and orifice tube filter on my old bronco when I got it’s system going. Found this kit on Parts Geek.

Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
1983 380SL
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
roncall, never noticed the wires, will look into that.

still waiting on the relay I ordered to come in so I can see if that is the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts