Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally ordered a new compressor for my 1995 S500. Now for the replacement, does anybody have a link or diagram showing how to remove the old ac compressor? I have a repair manual but it only shows the overhaul procedure after the compressor is removed. What I'm specifically looking for is a detailed procedure and/or a diagram. Any help would be appreciated.....thank you. (the compressor is a denso 10PA20)

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,756 Posts
It isn't a difficult job to R/R the compressor. Once you have the front of the car off the ground and secure, drop the splash guard. Remove the serpentine belt. Disconnect the drivers side mounts for the sway bar. Remove the manifold from the compressor, un-plug the electrical connection. Remove the 4 mounting bolts. This all takes about 45 min. once the car is up. I'd also suggest replacing the receiver/dryer.

Jayare

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply Jayare

I figured it to be a standard procedure or else they would have explained it in the repair manual. The new compressor manifold looks more like a dust cover of a sort. It only has one vented outlet in it. I'm assuming that's just to keep the unit sealed to prevent oil loss. And that the manifold that is still connected to the old compressor will have an inlet and an outlet. The initial problem with the climate control system is that I found out that the high pressure nipple on the condensor was cracked. Needless to say the system wasn't able to maintain pressure. And being that the nipple is a permanent fixture on the condensor, I replaced the entire condensor with a new one. I then started the car, turned on the a/c to prepare to add freon, and when I heard the clutch kick on I immediately saw smoke coming from under the hood....sigh. I immediately turned the car off but it was to late. The compressor was frozen and burned off the serpentine belt. Alas, here we go. I purchased a new serpentine belt and a compressor. I have my foot in a cast so I'm having a mechanic friend of mine come over and do the work tomorrow. But last night I began thinking about it and thought that if the system was without pressure, hence air in the system, I realized the dryer must be saturated. So I jumped online last night and order a new dryer as well (just like you're suggestion) to be shipped overnight so it should be here in the morning. That being said, after all is done I plan on taking it to an a/c shop and having the system purged and charged. Did I miss anything? lol
Thanks again for your information, you have been helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts