Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figures, as soon as the temps get into the mid 90's, my AC decides not to work. I'm almost positive that it's my compressor, as the economy gauge doesn't move when I turn it on (while idleing) and I don't have the noticeable loss of power. Replaced the #5 fuse in the fuse box, no change. Hoping I won't have to replace the clutch, or worse, the entire compressor. I can work on most of the stuff in my car, but AC systems just scare the hell out of me.

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
I assume & clutch cuts-in & A/C works when temperatures are below 90 F. If this is so, your compressor & clutch are OK.

At high ambient temperatures (mid 90F), does the A/C work when you start up initally & cuts out after running a while.

If so,I think that the high condensing pressure switch attached to the receiver/drier, is activated, causing the clutch to cut-out.

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
You have probably just run low of refrigerant and the safety cut-out is protecting the compressor.Check gas level before anything else.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps. I hope not, I don't feel like driving to Mexico anytime soon. Looks like I might not have to. The car recieved an R12 recharge about two years ago. Guess it might be due. I'll check out the sight glass once I have a chance.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Before you go check the wiring that leads to the clutch magnet, as well as the magnet.
Check the magnet by puting the key in the ignition and turining it 2 clicks to the right, then hit the A/C button you should be able to hear it engage. Might help to have someone else around to help.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Thats what happend on my 123. No freeon, and once I put it in, A/C came right on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts