Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 type w126d
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha all, Just refilled ac unit with 134a, worked great for a while now clutch will not engage. Have read a lot about the klima relay ewitch but have yet to locate on my car. HELP in this area would be greatly appreciated. Happy Turkey Day

Frank

·
Registered
1983 type w126d
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aloha, No I did not. I do not know how to check for leaks. Is this something I can do on my own? Thanks

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Many A/C refill units have a UV dye that shows up under a black (UV) light. Kinda tough to find a UV light sometimes, but that's what you need. The dye is usually a fluorescent green that can be seen pretty easily if the leak is serious. You also might still have the original R12 A/C system, which is not compatible with R134a, although refilling it would have been tough because of the different fittings. I would say that either you have low refrigerant (leak) or perhaps a deeper issue. If you have a vacuum pump, you can pull a vacuum and see if it holds, then recharge if it is holding (you will also know how much new refrigerant you have put in, as opposed to simply "recharging" on top of an unknown amount in the system. Lastly, consider taking it in to an A/C guy and having him pull the vacuum and check for leaks. I'm leary of any mechanic that has a profit motive in mind (my A/C was "looked at" by a local guy here-- he said I needed $1700 worth of repairs). I got my own gauges and refrigerant and sealers and did it myself for under $150-- and I've had good A/C here in LA for the past two summers, too!

·
Registered
1983 type w126d
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have a vac pump but will take your advice and have an ac mech pull tha test and see where I stand. Much mahalos for your reply. My ride looks just like yours!!! Love it --

1 - 5 of 5 Posts