Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC blower motors squeals loudly at start up and periodically while running (there really is always a high pitched squeal, but un-noticed with radio on). It runs well at all levels of cooling, from full blast to low. There was only one time recently where I noticed it actually stopped for about 2 seconds. My question is whether I should take the assembly out and try to lube or go ahead and just replace the blower motor? The regulator seems to be working fine. If I do the motor, do I have to replace regulator too?

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 S500 W140, 2012 C300 4matic
24 Posts
Blower squealing

Hi, I have a 1999 s500 and the blower occasionally makes a loud squeal? Were you able to just lube the blower? If so, can you tell me what you used and how you did it to stop the squeal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1997 S500
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not try to lube it. I figured the blower motor was 15 years old, plus it was driving me crazy and had stopped running a couple of times (thought I heard squealing even when there wasn't). I got a new motor for $150 at partsgeek.com and replaced it. Really pretty simple to replace. The hardest part was getting the plastic fan blades off the old motor ( had to drill the shaft of old motor). There are many threads dealing with the blower regulator replacement on this forum that really tells you all you need to know to do it yourself. Just did it Thursday and couldn't be happier. NO NOISE!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think I might to replace it myself also...ying to save a little $$$ on the repair bills. I replace the entire antenna a few months ago...just had to take my time. So are the fan blades supposed to be part of the blower replacement...not sure if I would be able to get the blades off if you had to drill them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The blower is still working on mine...just squeals every once in a while. Do you know what to lube it with? WD40 or oil?

·
Registered
1997 S500
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My blower, in general, was still working also. I really didn't want to drill it, because I was thinking to always keep it as a backup. You might be able to purchase the fan shroud separately, but probably not for the website above. I know they sell the whole assembly(mount, motor, fan, regulator) which probably costs a pretty penny. Drilling it was easier than you think, just make sure you have some good drill bits. I just used a hand drill, put motor in vise, drilled a small starter hole in middle of shaft, then swithed to the larger bit. Maybe your fan will come off easily...trust me I yanked the hell out of mine; just be prepared if not.

·
Registered
99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
915 Posts
Hey Guys I have for sale complete blower with regulator just plug it and run it I can do it for $250 with shipping so if you need one PM me .
Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I read a couple of threads that say you can lube it with some ATF...I'm going to try that and see if that's helps the squel before I tackle replacing...again...thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
AC blower location for MB 1994 S500

I have a 1999 s500 and it is under the hood, under the black plastic piece that runs just below the wipers. Should be the same for a 94...still a w140. I have never replaced one yet.

Here is a good link on the blower...

PeachPartsWiki: Diagnosing the Blower Motor and Cabin Filter
Does the blower housing run Horizontally to the wipers or is it more of a rectangular housing just below the wipers on the passenger side?

·
Registered
99 S500
64 Posts
I did not try to lube it. I figured the blower motor was 15 years old, plus it was driving me crazy and had stopped running a couple of times (thought I heard squealing even when there wasn't). I got a new motor for $150 at partsgeek.com and replaced it. Really pretty simple to replace. The hardest part was getting the plastic fan blades off the old motor ( had to drill the shaft of old motor). There are many threads dealing with the blower regulator replacement on this forum that really tells you all you need to know to do it yourself. Just did it Thursday and couldn't be happier. NO NOISE!
I am also in need to replace the blower motor. There's evidence of corrosion from moisture/water getting into the blower assembly area, and the motor is making a squealing noise. Everything else in the blower assembly seem to work fine. I see that the entire blower motor assembly costs $600+ vs motor only costs <$150.

Is the motor NOT meant to be easily separated from the assembly/fan blades if one has to drill the metal shaft in order to replace motor only? Is it generally recommended to replace the entire assembly if your blower motor is still original and old in age? For those that have replaced the motor only, did you all have to drill the motor shaft to remove the old motor? How troublesome is inserting a new motor into the assembly.

Thinking about (1) doing nothing for now, (2) replacing motor only now (if not to troublesome to remove and insert), or (3) considering entire motor assembly replacement at later time.

Any comments would be appreciated.

1999 S500

·
Registered
24 Posts
AC blower motor replacement

I replaced just the motor about a month ago and it is working Great! You DON'T have to buy the complete assembly if just your motor is bad. The motor will come loose from the squirrel cage fan blades...I promise...but it takes the right tools and setup. I used a punch and a malot to get it out.

1. Remove the motor and fan piece from the assembly.
2. I used two small pieces of 2x4 lumber and placed them on the garage floor, something very solid.
3. Place the unit between the two boards with the motor suspended, hanging down...not touching the floor.
4. Take a nail punch and place it on the shaft in the fan and tap the motor out...NOTE...I put some wd-40 on it and let it soak for 3 minutes before it did this...also, you will have to hit it pretty hard, very hard at first....but it will come out. Once it starts to move, it pops right out.
5. Then place the motor on a hard surface where the shaft it against the hard surface. Use a socket set the size of the fan center tip to knock the new one into place.

I read several threads before I did this and finally to nerve up to really punch the shaft and it came right out. The blower works perfect now!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Very creative, southerncub77. You can also build a similar rig and press it on and off if one has access to a press.

·
Registered
99 S500
64 Posts
I replaced just the motor about a month ago and it is working Great! You DON'T have to buy the complete assembly if just your motor is bad. The motor will come loose from the squirrel cage fan blades...I promise...but it takes the right tools and setup. I used a punch and a malot to get it out.

1. Remove the motor and fan piece from the assembly.
2. I used two small pieces of 2x4 lumber and placed them on the garage floor, something very solid.
3. Place the unit between the two boards with the motor suspended, hanging down...not touching the floor.
4. Take a nail punch and place it on the shaft in the fan and tap the motor out...NOTE...I put some wd-40 on it and let it soak for 3 minutes before it did this...also, you will have to hit it pretty hard, very hard at first....but it will come out. Once it starts to move, it pops right out.
5. Then place the motor on a hard surface where the shaft it against the hard surface. Use a socket set the size of the fan center tip to knock the new one into place.

I read several threads before I did this and finally to nerve up to really punch the shaft and it came right out. The blower works perfect now!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
southerncub77,

Thank you very much for the detailed steps that you took to get the motor replaced. I saw that you were also somewhat hesitant to do this back in Aug if you had to drill the motor shaft. Good to hear that lubrication, nail punch, and nice tap got the motor out of the fan piece.

I'll try doing the motor only instead of the entire assembly. As far as I know, everything else is fine at this time. I see that "OEM" Bosch motors are available at places like autohausaz and partsgeek for ~$150. MB dealers on the other hand only sell the entire blower motor/fan assembly, but do not sell the individual motor only.

Below is how my blower looks now. Thanks for your input again.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 S500/93 350SD 130000/320000 miles
10 Posts
Blowermotor

Check out usautoparts and autopartswarehouse.
They both sell the blower assemly complete with regulator for about $230
I bought one 4 years ago for my S350.Works like a charm.Installation took about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blower motor

I bought my replacement motor at partsgeek.com...had it the next day with expedited shipping...OEM Bosch motor...$150. I have only had my Benz for 3 years and I'm slowly learning how to replace certain things. Believe me...this is an easy fix...just takes a little time.

My blower assembly looks just like yours...

Attachments

·
Registered
99 S500
64 Posts
Just replaced my blower motor. Bought Bosch OEM brand motor from autohausAZ for $146.46. Taking the motor out the of the fan piece was in fact the most fun part of the job. As southerncub77 mentioned, I just had to hit it "pretty hard" right on the shaft end. New and old motors pictured. No more noise!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts