Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tiny 2.3litre 190E that does 12mpg on average in town. And if i really concentrate, i can get 15mpg out of it.
Whats going on!!?
The car was bought in 1993 and used for 4yrs and then parked in a shed for the past 10yrs, until i bought it a year ago.
I've changed most of the fluids, ATF, Break and Engine Oil.

Someone suggested that I should decarbonise the injectors, but will that work?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
You're getting approximately 50% of what the average MPG should be.

1) What has the performance been like? Does it seem low on power? Do the transmission shift points seem smooth?

2) Have you inspected the spark plugs for signs of excessive fuel (wet) or fouling?

3) When was the O2 sensor replaced last?

4) How many anvils are there in the trunk? :D

·
Registered
35,778 Posts
Before we start complain about the car, I know it is pretty cold in Ontario right now.
How far you drive every day? Is the car in warm garage at night, or do you let it idle for 15 minutes before you move?
I would start with getting infra=red thermometer and compare the cylinders temperatures. One colder than others would indicate a problem.

·
Registered
299 Posts
10 years? EEK I hope you got a deal on it. I would change the plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, tires, maybe a few other things. Have the fuel system cleaned out too.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Kajtek1
-20degC in Ottawa. its outside, no blankie even :(
i dont really give it time to warm up, so i kinda induce it to shift up by tapping the gas pedal, so i can keep revs under 3krpm

@MTI
1. the performance is satisfactory. however it seems to shift hard in winter, otherwise its ok
3. I dont think the o2 censor has ever been replaced

The only problem i know the car has is, the engine mounts are a little worn, and there is something wrong with the fuel valve/something, it hesitates (well hardly, but takes more than a second) to start when its hot outside.

·
Registered
35,778 Posts
Still no answer about daily distances.
12 mpg at -20C and short drives is not bad.
Still wouldn't hurt drop some good injector cleaner into the tank.
Some members recommend Chevron additive.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Not only do some members recommend Chevron Techron Concentrate, Mercedes has it on their very short list of fuel additives. There is an MB branded one the dealers can sell you, and that's it. There are only 2 that MB says are safe to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts