Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz S430, Mercedes Benz SL450
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends, I just joined the club and must say with all the respect, that it feels great to become a part of such knowledgeable and experienced community!

I am looking to buy a 1973 MB SL450. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow morning. A gentleman who is selling it mentioned that it sat in the barn for quiet some time and that there is some rust on. I will take pictures and will put them up tomorrow. I need an advise if this is a smart buy or not. I really want to buy this car but there is no one to advise me.

I have attached few pictures from the site I found it on. What should I do? How bad is it to remove the rust?

Please advise if I should stop my search here or ignore this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
I'll chime in, but this is just my opinion, rust (cancer) can be the end of a car depending on how extent it is, its the hidden rust that is dangerous to the pocket book and the structural well being of the car. On top of that, by looking at the engine bay, this car hasn't run in years and most likely by the picture you have, is a parts car or it will take some serious $$$$ to get that thing operational. If the engine isn't running (apparently not) expect the worst and hope for the best. These engines and all the components are not cheap and by the looks of it expect to shell out alot of $$$ to bring it up to driving standards. That said, if its a project car and you can do most of the work yourself, it will be a real challenge under that hood. Then there is the braking, electrical, suspension, fuel system, etc.....If at all possible, try and find a rust free car to start with, but thats my .02 only.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Rust is a deal killer. Read here and here.

If those missing bumpers are not included that's a 3K hit.

Read sections 5, 22, and 41 here.

The underhood pic scares me.

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
not a good candidate for a restoration imo That underhood is scary, god only knows how much money it will take to get it running again. If its over 100k it will likely need a costly timing chain system overhaul. Then you still have the rust/ body issues to contend with....

Looks like a decent parts car though, If the price was right i would buy it for a parts car.

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
I agree with the others, rust is the worst and that engine...... I don't even know if it's repairable the oxidation on everything is rediculous, I have a friend that restored an engine for a 500sl in slightly better condition than that, it set him back a fair bit, more than he paid for the car to start with.
Currently I'm working on a car (triumph stag) that had "a little bit of rust" but once you start picking at it, it just makes it worse.
I hope you do end up buying a 107 as they are great cars, but I would suggest just not that one :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,328 Posts
It is a 450SL not an SL450. Front turn signals indicate a U.S. model. No big differences between it and a euro.

If you have the tools and ability to DIY the mechanics and body work it is worth considering. If not then pass. Does it run? Where and how extensive is the rust?

They are harder to find in Canada and generally sell for more there but parts are also harder to find and cost more too.

I tried enlarging the engine picture but the quality is too poor to really tell anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANK YOU!!!

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies. I will drive to take a look at this car, will talk to the owner and will figure out the price. I will also make some pictures and will check if it starts or not!

If this car does not start or will have extensive rust damage I will follow your advise and will pass on it.

Thank you for your advice! Really, thank you!

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
I'm really new to the whole MB deal also, but from the looks of that car you could keep an eye out or even EBay a southern U.S. car (no rust unless oceanside) and spend your first $1000 on driving one back from here!

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts
Gentlemen, thank you for your replies. I will drive to take a look at this car, will talk to the owner and will figure out the price. I will also make some pictures and will check if it starts or not!

If this car does not start or will have extensive rust damage I will follow your advise and will pass on it.

Thank you for your advice! Really, thank you!
I don't know what they are asking for that car, but to me, it looks like a disaster. There are much better examples out there. Don't just look at the price of the car, make a list of everything that needs doing and you will find that you will be spending about $10k for a 450SL regardless of whether you buy a fixer-upper or a well maintained car.

I am in in Kingston, Ontario. There is a 1972 350SL (euro model) down here with an asking price of $8500 and probably will sell for quite a bit less. It has had one owner for 20 years. Probably still needs some work, but seems like a reasonable price. Just passing this along for comparison purposes. BTW, he has posted ad again with no asking price, so it obviously didn't sell at $8500.

There are other members in Toronto area that could perhaps help you as I would if car is in my area.

But don't buy that junk car unless you have an additional $10k to spend over and above the purchase price, and even then.....

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
$2500, lol. Come to AZ and you can get a 450SL driver in great shape for around $2000. Maybe that's a business opportunity for you Canadians, buy these rust free SL's cheap and import them and triple your money.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
I bought my 77 450SL 4 months ago here in Scottsdale for $1000. The previous owner had spent $6800 in engine and fuel system repairs (I have receipts). Car came with everything, AC works, transmission is perfect, etc... It will need a little TLC including paint but it has ZERO rust and a newer interior.

These are some pictures of it a couple days after I bought it:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NO NO and NO

Dear Friends,

I went to see that car and must say that I am grateful to you all for your advises! That car is an absolute disaster! The rust ate it all, I mean. ALL!!! From conversation with an owner he was ready to sell it for 1800 but he is a great guy and realizes that this is a part only car. From my very unprofessional view, I think that if someone is looking for parts even then it is not a first choice! The rust is everywhere! Small parts of interior are ok, but the body is junk.

I thank you all for being there for me! I am off to another search!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good price!

Dear Danz450sl, the car that you showed here is amazing! Do you know if anyone is looking to sell a car like yours? For this price I would love to buy one for sure! Please advise what site should I use to find one in AZ?

Thank you!

PS Those pictures really helped! Thank you!

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
The cheap stuff is usually found on Craigslist. AZ, CA , TX and FL are good candidates for bargains.

But...check with your Canadian authorities on importing . It's probably not easy, but doable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Customs in Canada

Guys, thank you! I will check Craigslist for sure. In Canada if the vehicle is over 15 years it is very doable to bring it here. From now on I will look for the car only in Southern States. I though about this before, but now you made me realize that this is an only way! In Canada most of cars have a rust problem. No wonder! With humidity in Toronto for example and amount of salt they through on the roads I think it is still not safe to take your baby out till late spring! So much salt must be washed of the pavement!

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
There are plenty of nice ones down here in the $4-8K price range all the time. Get a one way ticket down here in January and drive one home ( if you like adventure). Justify your vacation here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts