Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190E 2.6 196K , 2003 Audi Allroad 153K
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have searched this out on the forum and I dont like throwing parts at a problem till it is solved so I figured I would ask a few questions first.

Everytime I drive my car it will throw the ABS warning at 75-80 mph. Not a big deal but it is annoying. The pedal vibrates and you can hear a grinding like noise when braking. The slower you go the more noticable it is.

I just had the alignment done and had a the idle arm bushing replaced and they informed that I should do most of the bushing in the front end. Planning on it but going to do most of the front end at the same time so saving up money.

Now I have heard this could be caused by a bad abs sensor. Now I am hoping that it wouldnt be one due to the cost. Cuts into the rest of the repair on the car. I am told you can clean them but before I tear apart the car fiddling with it I would like a second opinion.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
remove the light from the cluster?

on a serious note grinding? bad brake pads eating up the rotors?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am fairly sure it is not the OVP relay. It was doing it on another one so I purchased a new one and installed.

I thought about doing that since it isnt to annoying. I dont think it is bad brake pads. It is when the ABS kicks on that it makes the sound and when the warning light is active it is quiet as can be.

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,250 Posts
I suspect that the grinding and vibrations are from the active ABS system pulsing the brakes. Remove the sensors from each wheel and clean them, I think you will see a lot of metal shavings clinging on to them.

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
hi,

i would just like to ask - how can the ABS unit activate the pulsing mechanism without any input from the pedal and no speed differential at all from any of the tires? is it possible that it would just self-activate due to some system problem? it is indeed scary to have your brakes suddenly come on without you expecting it..

i hope we find the solution to this...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next weekend I will tear apart the front end and look into the ABS sensors.

Is there any test that I can do to find if one has failed other than shelling out 150 per side and replacing them?

Also a side note do the ABS sensors work from the 190E on the 400e brake upgrade? That is a project on the horizon for me.

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
Next weekend I will tear apart the front end and look into the ABS sensors.

Is there any test that I can do to find if one has failed other than shelling out 150 per side and replacing them?

Also a side note do the ABS sensors work from the 190E on the 400e brake upgrade? That is a project on the horizon for me.
there are three sensors on the car
Measure each ABS sensor with an ohmmeter, if short or if open, the sensor is bad
would also check cables and connectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts