Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

ok so last week i had a problem of fluctuating idle, brought it to the garage, turned out i had a couple of cracked hoses under the airbox.

When i got the car back everything was right back to normal idle was at a steady 750-850RPM.

But now everytime i roll to a stop or gently stop the car, when it goes down to like 5km/h the damn ABS kicks in (I hear that typical ABS Spring noise and my brake pedal becomes all crunchy)

Anyone know what may be causing this? This problem is driving me mad! :mad:

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Mine is doing exactly the same, but only when the car is cold and not used for some time... as soon as it warms up it works fine!
Really strange!!!

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if a mechanic were to purposely sabotage the ABS system while working on the engine (the wheels were not removed and the car was not lifted). Anyone have any ideas of what would be a common thing to do?

I'm sad to say I'm curently having serious doubts about my garage's integrity.... :( :S

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you hamada!,

my apologies but i have 0 zero mechanics experience, where would i find this ABS OVP relay and what would i look for, for signs of defect??

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5-16
58 Posts
Is your ABS light on?
If not check your ABS sensors...Often they are just dirty and need a clean.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My ABS light is NOT on.
Does that mean its simply a sensor problem or can it still be OVP?

Where exactly are the sensors? i know there's 2 on the front wheels and 1 on the diff.
but what do they look like and where are they on the hub? (once again if i sound clueless ---> 0 mechanical experience is why :S)

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,978 Posts
My bad, in your first post I thought that the ABS lights is ON, so I would ditto the ABS sensors in the front wheels calipers.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5-16
58 Posts
If your Idle is up to spec its doubtful its the OVP.
As Hamada mentioned the sensors are behind the wheels, best thing to do is get a pressurised air line and blow all the dirt out of the sensor housing also.
Clean the sensors with a lint free cloth.
If after that you still get feedback on your brakes then replace the sensors.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so here's a update on this annoying problem.

Got into my car last night after work and surprise suprise the problem was completly gone.....but my ABS light was on lol

This morning, i drove to work.... ABS light was OFF....but problem is back...

We still think its dirty sensors?

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah! hehe ok ok no more stalling...
this will be the first time i work on the car (or any car) so i hope its a fairly easy and straightforward job..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had that problem with my BMW, no light and abs crunch at brake. Check all your sensors and connections.

my passengers side sensor was done. bent and cracked.

If you know anyone with a 190e, swap ABS Relay's and see if it goes away.

Cheers

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
My ABS light sometimes goes on after 2 minutes I'm driving the car, but if I switch off the car and then on again the ABS light stays off!
But when braking is acting weird like you said, but after 10 minutes it doesn't do that any more. I have to try to clean the sensors as well, but strange: only happening when car is cold!

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here's an update on the ABS problem i was having..

i did NOT clean the sensors, did not even open the hood... I left it as is since last week i worked at the F1 race so i had no time to do anything....

The Problem is COMPLETLY GONE!! the abs no longer kicks in, the light if OFF... and surpringsly the ABS still works when it needs to..

......I'm thrilled that i didn't have to do anything and the problem is fixed...

You guys think that maybe my sensors were dirty and as i drove the car the wind slowly cleaned off the dust??

So thats like the 4 time this car fixes itself...... i'm beginning to understand what they meant with the "Overengineered" discussions that so many people have on these cars.

Cheers!

·
Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Mine it's intermittent too! Sometimes for months it doesn't show up, then it comes out again, but only when it's cold.
My Mercedes mechanic told me that it's very easy that the wire on the right front wheel wire brakes sensor it's to blame, since it's doing a sharp angle, or something like that! Tomorrow he'll put my car up on the elevator and check it too! I'll let you know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts