Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M3 Coupe, 2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm away from home for a couple of weeks and I got a call from the home front. ABS seems to have a problem.

The BAS/ESP, ETS, and ABS warning lights (left 3 lights), as well as the ABS pump, were on continuously. The ABS pump kept running even with the key off.

I got my son to pull the battery cable and remove the ABS fuse. After that, he reconnected the battery. The ABS pump was stopped, but now the Brake warning light (3rd light from right) was also on.

He reinserted the fuse and the pump stayed off and all warning lights were off except the BAS/ESP warning light.

He went for a short drive and did a panic stop to kick on the ABS, which worked normally and the BAS/ESP light went out. He also triggered the ESP by spinning the tires in the snow. It also works properly.

Now everything is back to normal and all of the lights are off.

Anyone have an idea what is going on here?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,728 Posts
If pump was running with key off relay K25 had welded contacts. Replace it. Part 002 542 26 19

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The relay sounds suspicious. Turns out that the problem reoccurred so the relay may not be fused, but it could be stickly.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
With as often as the relay is cycled in winter climates I am sure it is the relay.
The contacts may not have welded closed yet, but it is a an inexpensive part
that will most likely fix the problem. Cut open the old one and look at the contacts
after replacing it.
They will be all but gone and there will be scorch marks and soot from the arcing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got back home yesterday and changed the relay. I opened it up and the contact was quite eroded, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. So far so good...

Thanks for the help, everyone.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
Glad it seemed to fix the issue. I love tearing stuff apart to see the wear factor.
We have clear relays on some race electrics so we can see the contacts. Some car
makers use them also. I wish Hella did for MB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts