Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990, Merc 190E fully automatic.

The ABS light on the dash board like all other light appears during ignition. Once the engine is started, all the light disappears.

When I begun to drive after some time, the ABS light appears, My brakes function normal. The brake oil level is also fine.

But when I shut down & restart the light disappears. Again while driving the light appears. I wonder why this light appearing???

COuld some one plz enlighten me about this problem!!!!!
Thanxxxx in advance

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320 with 345,000 miles
1,737 Posts
The ABS light will come on if one or more of the ABS sensors have failed or are disconnected (there are three, one for each front wheel and one on the rear differential). The light will come on when you first start the car as a normal test procedure like the other lights, then turn off indicating normal function, but when you hit 5MPH, if one or more of the sensors has a problem, then the entire ABS system is disabled and the light in the dash will come on.

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Check 10amp fuse on the Over-Voltage-Relay, behind the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday, I visited my mechanic. He opened the wheels, checked the brake shoes, cleaned the sensors at the wheel base. he even changed the brake pads as they were worn out a bit.

Next he visually checked sensors located in the front & also the 10amps fuse located behind the battery. Everything seemed fine.

Could someone tell me where is the sensor locaed in the back wheel??? Mine is a Left hand drive 190E 1990 fully automatic version. Is there any other method by which the sensor functioning can be checked???? Now itz become exactly as
n0alpha has described.

Itz a pain in the neck

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You have to unplug the sensor in the engine bay then hook up a multimeter to measure the resistance. Then you have to twist and pull the sensor. If it fluctuates then you have found your bad sensor.

The rear sensor goes into the front side of the rear differential.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ABS Sensor

I have done exactly as you have described the RHS sensor seems to have failed. I understand there are three sensors on the 190E 1990 2.0L Left Hand Drive car. I have been successful in locating front sensors under the bonnet, one near the battery & the other near the fuse box. Could someone guide me where is the third one located please.

My ABS hasn't been working as before

Thankxxxx in advance

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Trace it from the rear differential to the front. It may come up through the firewall behind the battery OR it may be located in the fuel pump panel underneath the car I'm not sure. But follow the wire from the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts