Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 300E
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have new pads and rotors, also there is no air in the system. Brake pedal is strong and firm, with no mushy feel.

It comes on somedays and not others, and for only 10-15 seconds then goes away.

Any idea what could be the culprit ??

·
Registered
1990 300CE
72 Posts
Have it checked by brake professional

Mine does it too. Whenever there is an ABS malfunction, the brakes revert to the old fashion 'Normal' operation. So, safety is still what it would be if the car did not come with ABS.

Your problem may be one of the wheel sensors. Cheapest fix! Or All the way up to the ABS computer or hydraulic actuator unit, both of which are expensive beyond my spending right now.:eek:

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Mine was traced to the contact in the steering wheel of all things. Apparently the airbags also initiate a error signal. When it was cold the contact for the bag in the steering wheel would miss a little and I would get light after a turn of the wheel it would go away. Took me a day to take apart and clean but no issues in 2 years.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
could someone point me to a thread where the proceedure for fixing these contacts is detailed? I have low brake pad and srs lights going on and off and I've found that if I turn the wheel to 11 o'clock neither light is on, if I turn to 12 both are on and if I turn to 1 the srs is on but not the brake pad warning light. I think it is the contact issue you refer to. read about this earlier but at the time I didn't think this was my problem and now I can't find the info anymore.

could the brake light flicker be part of the same issue? I do have to replace brakes but sitting in park with car running the brake light still flickers on and off and can be caused to go on or off based on wheel position. Maybe its a coincidence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts