Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E-Class W210 model has the ABS and ETS lights coming on, on my dash. Previously I had unplugged my ECU unit from the engine and checked the connector as it was missing a clip, I made sure it was secure and put it back into its housing. For about 3 months both light stayed off and I was happy once more thinking it was just down to the connector.!
However after three months the 2 dreaded ABS and ETS lights came on again. I checked the ECU connector again which was fine, but if I unplug the ECU and plugged it back in again the lights go out, but only for a while. The same thing if I turn off the ignition and then back on again for a bout 20mins the ligths stay off.
I am pretty sure it is not the physical ABS or ETS because if there was an immediate problem then the dash lights would show after a few secs when the car starts. When the lights are on the ABS, Traction and cruise control does not work as I think they are all linked. When no lights showing on dash the ABS, ETS and Cruise works fine.!
I have changed the brake pedal switch as suggested and had the fault codes cleared.
....can anyone help!!!

·
Registered
96' E320
307 Posts
Im sorry to hear about this bro, unfortunatly I too have been struggling with this problem for over a year. I've made a post about this already, and most of the others that have had this problem tell me that its the brake switch. I recently had a service tech check the signal to my brake switch and he tells me that when the pedal is depressed evenly, the warning is not triggered. But when the pedal is played with (not evenly pressed) the switch gets a double negative trigger, causing the ABS/ETS warning. Sucks I know, Ill let you know what I find as soon as I get this fixed.

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it does seem to be the brake pedal in most cases. I have chcnged my switch twice. Thsi is only because I went to Merc to get one and they were closed for stock couting. I then got one from another comapny and it didnt work at all, Iwent back and got another it seem to work the brake light ok. But I am thinking that maybe its a delicate part and needs an origianl? I can change the switch in 60 secs flat now I've done this so many times!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FIXED!
> Well i think I have finally solved the problem with
> my ABS/ETS lights.
> It seemed to be down to buying a replacement
> aftermarket brakeswitch
> the whole time!!
>
> I went to replaced the usual suspect brakeswitch
> about 6 weeks ago but
> Mercedes at the time was closed for stock counting.
> So I went to
> Eurocarparts to but the switch instead. The price
> was only about £3
> cheaper (£9 instead of MB £12) so I thought there
> cant be much in it.
> I fitted the Eurocarpart switch and without pressing
> the brake the
> ABS/ETS light came on after 2 mins! I then noticed
> that when I pressed
> the bake the brake lights only dimmed and did not go
> out? as if there
> was a short. I checked the ratchet length of the
> brake switch plunger
> and it was operating fine.
> So back to Eurocarparts to get another switch and
> this time the bake
> ligths went out when fitted, but 10mins later the
> ABS?ETS lights onthe
> dash came on again!
>
> I had noticed however that the ABS/ETS lights seemed
> to come on mainly
> when I pressed the brake or shortly after, so one
> last try I went to
> Mercedes and bought an original bake switch, and
> Voila so far no more
> warning lights, for 3 days!!!
>
> ....and of course cruise, abs and traction are all
> back again too,
> just in time for the snow!!

·
Registered
96' E320
307 Posts
Congratulations, thats great to hear, I guess i'll have to try an new switch one more time. I'll let you know if it works.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its worth a try, they are not dear in the UK even from the main dealer about $17. The Eurocarparts place I mentioned is company that is now gone global that deals with all cars in Europe including Porsche, BMW, SAAB they sell both replica and original parts too, but the brake switch I got was not original!
Coudl you not take the old switch you bought recently back and get you money back? then buy from Mercedes?

·
Registered
2008 S550
24 Posts
I am having the same problem and would like to replace the brake switch. I have read that it is an easy DIY fix, but I don't know where to begin. Would someone mind posting the brake switch replacement procedure (preferably with pictures)? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have posted a procedure with 2 photos for you on the first page of this forum.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz E 230 w210 1995
7 Posts
Hey guys, new here. I have a mercedes w210 e class 230 year 1995, petrol engine. I have kind of the same problem. After few minutes when I'm driving ETS ABS lights come on, the speedometer stops working, and i noticed that cruise mod is unavailable too. I read the topic and my brake lights are working fine. Any ideas where the problem might be ??

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
7,215 Posts
Hey guys, new here. I have a mercedes w210 e class 230 year 1995, petrol engine. I have kind of the same problem. After few minutes when I'm driving ETS ABS lights come on, the speedometer stops working, and i noticed that cruise mod is unavailable too. I read the topic and my brake lights are working fine. Any ideas where the problem might be ??
I would check the codes from Traction system at the diagnostic port.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would check the codes from Traction system at the diagnostic port.
Thank you, i will check them out. Also i found an ABS sensor that wasn't showing any kind of resistance on my multimeter. Could that be the cause of the problem?

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Thank you, i will check them out. Also i found an ABS sensor that wasn't showing any kind of resistance on my multimeter. Could that be the cause of the problem?
Could be. Could also be the ABS solenoid valve relay. I am sure that there is a corresponding fault code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be. Could also be the ABS solenoid valve relay. I am sure that there is a corresponding fault code.
Thank you very much, I will give you a reply as soon as I have more info on the problem and with some luck a solution to it. Take care :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello again. I fixed the problem😎😎😎 It was a broken ABS sensor of the left front tire. The car symptoms were the two warning lights ETS and ABS, speedometer and cruise controll not working, problem with accelerating and unsteady RPMs on Drive while staying at one place. I really hope that this info helps others in need. Have a nice day, everybody and drive safe! Cheers!!!

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,749 Posts
Hello again. I fixed the problem😎😎😎 It was a broken ABS sensor of the left front tire. The car symptoms were the two warning lights ETS and ABS, speedometer and cruise controll not working, problem with accelerating and unsteady RPMs on Drive while staying at one place. I really hope that this info helps others in need. Have a nice day, everybody and drive safe! Cheers!!!
Glad to hear you got this issue resolved.

Please update your user CP info....so we all know what you are driving.

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Glad to hear you got this issue resolved.

Please update your user CP info....so we all know what you are driving.

This question is for the moderators and admin really. I wonder if there is a reason why the membership is allowed to be activated, if the the prospective member does not enter the above information re: vehicle details. It would make life easier for the posters, and the responders, if these details must be entered, as part of the activation process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Omg, I totally forgot. You are right. It's easier to find the right kind of info when you know the exact model that we are talking about. I'll get right to it :))

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes Benz W210 Avantgarde E200 Petrol Engine
3 Posts
Hi everyone, New here. I have a Mercedes Benz W210 Avantgarde E200 Petrol Engine which also have the same problem as you guys mentioned. The ABS and ETS light suddenly came on my dash when the car moving forward right after the car turned on. Before was fine and no issues at all. I have sent the car to the Mercedes Benz Authorized Workshop and took advice from mechanic to change ABS Sensor, battery, ABS Pump and Brake Light Switch but unfortunately the problem still exist after those action have been taken. Do you guys know anything else might cause this ABS and ETS light on?

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,749 Posts
Hi everyone, New here. I have a Mercedes Benz W210 Avantgarde E200 Petrol Engine which also have the same problem as you guys mentioned. The ABS and ETS light suddenly came on my dash when the car moving forward right after the car turned on. Before was fine and no issues at all. I have sent the car to the Mercedes Benz Authorized Workshop and took advice from mechanic to change ABS Sensor, battery, ABS Pump and Brake Light Switch but unfortunately the problem still exist after those action have been taken. Do you guys know anything else might cause this ABS and ETS light on?
Welcome jeunhorng,
===>>> Update your user CP info....

1) Did you scan and erase codes?
2) Did you use genuine oem BLS or a generic part? Generic ones can be a problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts