Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the ABS/ETC wiring goes bad like the engine, starter, and others in the 93-97 year SL's? ABS/ETC light is on and will not go out. Also I am having a problem in reading the codes as when I hook the test unit up (home made) it now will start to glow when you hook it up so it makes it impossible to read any codes.

Thanks for your help
Ronw435

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
ETC would be electronic transmission control but that wouldn't have a warning lamp. Are you thinking perhaps of ETS? ABS and ETS would each have a separate warning lamp. Are you talking about the triangle symbol that has no letters? Sounds like something is wrong with the code reader wiring. Has it worked in the past?

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes your absolutely right. Its the ETS and ABS lights.

Yes the code reader that I made worked before numerous times. But now when I plug it in it lights up immediately. Therefore not allowing any codes. ??

Does the wiring for the ETS /ABS go to the same place? Does the wiring for the ABS develop the same problems that the other wires do and disintegrate?

I plan on pulling the wiring harness out soon for the ABS as well as the main wiring harness that the MAP wire goes to. I took it to a indy that was recommended on this forum and he only spliced the new pig tail in, I took it there to get the harness replaced but I believe it ended up being more than he wanted to tackle. To his defense he was suffering some medical problems at the time, but I would have just rather had him tell me he couldnt do it.

The cruise control does not work either which it did before the ABS light came on. I am going to check the wheel speed sensors first and see if maybe one of them has a problem.

Thanks for all the help.

Ronw435

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
Yes your absolutely right. Its the ETS and ABS lights.
What's an ETS? I know that the ABS is the antilock brake system, but my '97 owners manual, which applies to SL320 as well as my 500, doesn't mention ETS at all or show a light for it.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
ETS is electronic traction system, a brake only traction control system. I believe 96 was the last year for it. ASR may have been standard by 1997.

Those codes wouldn't be a typical upper engine harness problem. You really need to try to get the fault codes off of pin 6. When you say the light goes on immediately do you mean when you plug it into one and three, or when you plug it into one, three and six?

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deanyel, I got the code reader to pull the code off of pin 6. I got a 12 reading and that was all. I'm not sure if I am reading the list correctly but it says a 12 is a "heated oxygen sensor shorted". I have replaced both O2 sensors unless it is talking about something else.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also when I try to read codes of the #19 pins which is supposed to be the base module I get nothing. It lights up when I push the button but I do not get any kind of blink out of it at all. ?????

Also deanyl is the code that I got off of the # 6 pin is that the right symptom? Doesnt sound like something that would be coming off that pin????

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There's something wrong - code 12 on pin 6 doesn't apply to your car, only to 140 models. And pin 19 would not be the base module. It would, in past years, be the DM. But I think it was shut down in 1995 because your car is OBDII, or perhaps it went digital. In any case you can't read pin 19 with a flash code reader. The base module is on pin 8. You've obviously got a bad code list for pin 6. Get an OBDII reader and check those codes under the steering wheel.

PS - never mind, I was on the wrong list too - code 12 on pin 6 is "ETS hydraulic unit, solenoid valves relay".

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deanyl, I do not have an OBDII. I know this sounds weird but I have been under the dash. There is the area that there could be one but I pulled the covers off and there is no OBDII port anywhere under the steering wheel. I just pulled the code again and it gave me a 12 on # 6. There is a pin in the # 19 hole on the 38 pin connector but I do not get a code from it. I'm really not sure what this car is as I have never been able to fine the module layout like it is on this car. The VIN calls it out to be a 95. The title says 95. But I have yet to see the layout of modules that I have. The all run perpendicular to the length of the car. As to say they lay across the car length wise.

?????

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it is saying that the ETS has a bad relay? Are they serviceable?

I was wondering if the wiring harness that goes to it goes bad like the others?

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your right about pin # 8 being the base module, I get only one blink off that which I believe represents no code. Is this the module that sets the dreaded CE light on?

Do know where I can get the code list for all the modules?

Thanks for your reply

Ron

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
deanyl, I do not have an OBDII. I know this sounds weird but I have been under the dash. There is the area that there could be one but I pulled the covers off and there is no OBDII port anywhere under the steering wheel. I just pulled the code again and it gave me a 12 on # 6. There is a pin in the # 19 hole on the 38 pin connector but I do not get a code from it. I'm really not sure what this car is as I have never been able to fine the module layout like it is on this car.
I think if it's a 95 U.S. model it left the factory with OBDII port - could have been tampered with I suppose. Clear the code 12 and make it come back if you haven't already. I think pin 19 is dead, at least to a flash code reader, on a 1995 OBDII.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
So it is saying that the ETS has a bad relay? Are they serviceable?

I was wondering if the wiring harness that goes to it goes bad like the others?
Not clear, you're into unchartered waters, ETS is normally so reliable. Just a guess but check the fuses on the base module. The control module wiring harness isn't known to be a problem.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Your right about pin # 8 being the base module, I get only one blink off that which I believe represents no code. Is this the module that sets the dreaded CE light on?

Do know where I can get the code list for all the modules?
It's the DM that sets the CE light, or in your case the OBDII. The Baum book, although not perfectly accurate, is the best place to get code lists.

http://www.motodok.com/Documentation/Files/MB/cs1000-mb.pdf

·
Registered
1995 SL500, 2008 GL450
51 Posts
Similar Issue

Ron - Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having a similar issue, i.e. I initially pulled code 12 on pin 6 after the ASR came on and now when I try to pull the code on pin 6 it lights up when I place the pins and stays lit. I am also pulling codes 2 and 3 on pin 7 and codes 4 and 7 on pin 21. I plan to pull the left front speed sensor this weekend to see if that might be the issue.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Prathermj I have not got it resolved yet. I only get the one code saying that its a relay or solenoid. I have replaced the relays but still have the light and code. I had the same problem with the light coming on and realized that if you do not have the key on the test light will illuminate. Turn the key on and it will go out and you can test it. My dash light is the ABS/ETC. I checked and cleaned all my sensors on the front and they test correctly. Would like to know what you find out.

·
Registered
1995 SL500, 2008 GL450
51 Posts
I am going to start with the speed sensors and go from there. I will let you know what happens. I've done a ton to the car already (ETA, MAF, brake light switch, upper and lower harnesses, etc.). One problem I am having that I have not seen anyone mention on the ASR topic is that the engine starts sputtering when the RPM's reach 4000. Are you having any problem similar to this? What relays did you replace? Thanks for the input.

Mike

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I replaced the two relays on the ABS unit under the hood. Have not had any problems with the engine since replacing the engine harness. Engine runs great.
Just hate the two yellow lights on the dash. Will figure it out eventually. Let me know how it goes with yours.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
'95 SL320
10 Posts
I pulled my '95 SL320 out of the garage this morning and found two bright yellow beacons of light shining into my eyes -- ETS and ABS! -- :crybaby2:
I'll now be watching this thread closely in hopes for a cure :D
Max

·
Registered
1995 SL500, 2008 GL450
51 Posts
Max - The most common problems (and ones I have experienced) are blown fuse, brake light switch failure (cheap and easy to replace), wiring harness failure, electronic throttle actuator failure, vehicle speed sensor fault (left front wheel). I would start with those. Hopefully your problem is simple and cheap. Otherwise, finding the problem just plain sucks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts