Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 s430 the abs/ESP light has come on. I have taken it to a certified mercades tech and have been told the hydraulic brake pump for the Abs is bad. I have driven the car and applied the brakes on a wet surface and the abs seems to work fine. Any idea why this would be or what else would cause the light to come on?

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Whoah! The certified mechanic didn't say anything about brake light switch? Thousands of people had the BLS problem. Yours may be different.
The brake light switch looks like this
Part Number Image
You can test the BLS yourself to rule out the expensive ABS pump.
It's located under the dash, above the brake pedal ...
The forum for your S430 or W210 should have more details.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Or ...

if your battery has recently been dead or replaced or the like, you'll need to read the book on how to reset things. This turns the light off when this is the cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I replace the switch should the light go off or do I have to clear the codes to see if the switch is the problem?

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
If I recall, the lights should go off after engine started and the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the switch and drove the car. Still get the bas/ESP on the dash. Thanks for the info I will have a garage see if they can tell me what code is showing up on the computer
No way of getting the codes from in the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the car to the shop and was told the code is c1401-007 A7/3m1 (High pressure and return pump) Componet A7/3m1(High pressure and return pump) does not switch off. Tec said its the pump $2000 to have it replaced. Just wondering if it could be anything else any help would be grate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts