Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 wagon, 1997 E420 sedan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the old thread for hours (5 to be exact)on this topic trying to find a course of action to take. The thread started jumping around a lot and it was difficult to go back and find recommendations for steps to follow, and in what order for my particular issues. I posted at the end of it a week ago so I figured I would just start over and try and keep this focused to solely the ABS/ESP issue. I understand it can be a variety of things but there are usuallt 4-5 main things that pop up. just did the brake switch replacement to a known functioning switch and no luck. When starting car it is fine for as long as it sits still (I can even move it back and forth in the drive until I move out of the drive and then it goes off. If I back out of the driveway and keep going backwards or put it in drive and start forwards it lights up. Seems to be an issue of time when it goes off. The code coming from the AC control is a B1422. I recently had the cluster rebuilt by BBA-Reman. Took the cluster out and checked the connections and all look good. Any thoughts of where to look next? this is the E420 sedan - also, cruise control works fine and so do the brake lights. With all the work I did on the car recently I had a run down on the battery but it seems to be fine now after driving for a while.

·
Registered
'68 280SE (w108), '72 280SE 3.5(w108), '88 560SEL(w126), '97 E50 (W210
179 Posts
Is it possible to hook the car up and check for codes? Star Diagnostics would be the perfect one to use, since I've tried some others and they couldn't access the ABS/ESP module in the car, communication fault or some such error.

The B1422 has nothing to do with the ABS/ESP error, I think.

I just finished (finally!) fixing a similar problem, with similar symptoms as yours.

Since it's a bit long to rehash here, please just check my post here:

International Mercedes-Benz Club Forum • Thema anzeigen - Jekyll and Hyde: Life with an E50

Meanwhile, I've attached some PDF files regarding the ESP that might help.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response and thanks for the link. Another forum for me!!! I was able to find a Star computer and we got it down to just the one code for the brake pressure sensor. My mechanic back in NC said he has never replaced a brake pressure sensor in his entire 20+ year career with MB and suggested we try another brake switch first to which I agreed. If not could be the ABS unit itself. We shall see. He is sending me another MB switch for $20 so it is a cheap way to cross one item off the list.

·
Registered
'68 280SE (w108), '72 280SE 3.5(w108), '88 560SEL(w126), '97 E50 (W210
179 Posts
You're mechanic is right, the brake pressure sensor is almost always never replaced. Most likely the culprit is upstream and downstream from the sensor.

Sorry about giving you another forum to read:D I went through the brake pressure sensor issue as well. How old is your brake fluid? You might want to pressure flush it, because in time the brake fluid can get really dirty and might impede the performance of the brake system.

Sorry, but here's the thread: International Mercedes-Benz Club Forum • Thema anzeigen - Jekyll and Hyde: Life with an E50

I read from Benzworld (I couldn't find the thread) that sometimes just tapping the M15 charging pump with a hammer while switching the key on might loosen the crud and dirt in it and get the pump working again, so maybe you could try that first.

All I know is that the WIS prescribes the best way to flush out all the brake fluid from the system and replace it with fresh fluid.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
This problem does not need to be too complicated. Agree with you mechanic that more likely a faulty brake light switch can create all these problems. Its easy to change, inexpensive and use only Bosch switch and pull the plunger all the way out before installation. It will adjust automatically to the length needed. (you had an star system and you could have checked that too by the way)

The other thing, a dying battery or low voltage battery can also create this problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, my next step is the battery. The star did clear out the break switch but an extra one comes in handy when I am about to pick up my third W210 - lol. Star cleared the switch but it can't hurt to pop a new one in there. Next is the battery because it has an Interstate battery in it but I had to trickle charge it not too long ago and although it seems to be keeping a charge just fine I have also read that is a major issue for the ABS ESP lights going off. Someone said before you could check the voltage via the climate control system but I have not seen that anywhere. any links for that?

·
Registered
C240 2002, ML500 2002 and GL550
10 Posts
ABS/BAS/ETS parking brake lights on with beep, no fluid out FR C1317

Hi triskaideka,

My ML500 has ABS BAS ETC lights on with parking brake light on and beeping when driving. There is no brake fluid from front right brake bleeder. I bought a star C3 scanner and I got C1317 code (pressure circuit 1 vacuum solenoid valve A7/3y26 internal resistance). Following the star C3 troubleshooting instruction, I checked the resistance between 2:46 and 2:27 after disconnecting N47-5. The resistance is in normal value. But there is no continuity between 2:46 and 2:29 which would be fault code C1319. I only got C1317.

I attached the picture for ABS module for my ML500. One solenoid was taken off and wires were broken. Would you please help to point out which is y26? Please let me know if more info. needed.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,
Hongjun

Attachments

·
Registered
C240 2002, ML500 2002 and GL550
10 Posts
I replaced ABS unit with an ebay used part. All lights went off and RF bleeder is fine too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts