Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Sunday I turned on the engine and the ABS ESP/BAS came on. Diagnostic reading: Code N1100 (no signal is received from right side speed sensors) and Code 1101 (no signal is received from left side speed sensors).
Any help I would appreciate.
Ulli.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,216 Posts
Welcome to the forum to you.

Thanks for filling out your profile information. I can use that to get you along to the W210 section.

Hope you get the car sorted.

·
Banned
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
4,837 Posts
Welcome to our forums Ulli.

I think as a first quick easy step, check your battery voltage.

Is it the correct battery, Type 019?

Measure directly on your battery terminals and check that the cable terminal clamps are clean and tight.

I measure directly on the battery terminals inside the clamps and then also on the cable clamps.

Although I don't have my W210 now, I had it for 5 years.

With all cars, I occasionally I remove the battery cables, clean the terminals with abrasive paper, then apply some Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to them before refitting the cables and wiping all the dust and crud off the battery, it can cause shorts.

It should read 12.6+ volts if it's in good health and fully charged.

If you've just charged it on a home charger or on a run, turn on your headlamps for 3 minutes to remove what's called the "surface charge", then turn them off before measuring. That will show a more accurate state of charge.

Mine used to read 12.4 volts when it was in constant use.

If it's below 12.2 volts you may get errors from control modules as they can't operate reliably.

12.0 volts is technically dead flat for most modern cars.

When you start the engine you should see 14+ volts if your charging system is good.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply.
Power is not the problem...new MB battery installed.
I've also jumped the pump relay (with ignition off) and the ABS pump is running.
Fuses are also good and grounds (what I can see) look solid.
It's unlikely that all ABS VSS sensors are faulty.

DSC_1510 (2).JPG

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,759 Posts
This past Sunday I turned on the engine and the ABS ESP/BAS came on. Diagnostic reading: Code N1100 (no signal is received from right side speed sensors) and Code 1101 (no signal is received from left side speed sensors).
Any help I would appreciate.
Ulli.
Here is link to diagnostic info.
For C1100 perform steps 9.0 and 9.1
For C1101 steps 10.0 and 10.1

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info...much appreciated.
I disconnected connector 1 & 2 from the ESP Module and probed all 4 VSS sensors (1.700 K Ohm +-).
One thing I don't understand. How do I test the "left & right axle VSS sensor (L6/1) L6/2 output - Terminal 1 & 2 on connector 1?

·
Banned
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
4,837 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Power is not the problem...new MB battery installed.
I've also jumped the pump relay (with ignition off) and the ABS pump is running.
Fuses are also good and grounds (what I can see) look solid.
It's unlikely that all ABS VSS sensors are faulty.
A new battery can still lose its charge, many have been caught out by unexpected drain.

Measure the voltage, it takes 2 minutes, it's a common oversight to assume it's charged.

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 215k miles
8,742 Posts
There is a big difference between N1100 /N1101 and C1100 and C1101 in that the N codes are reported by the Tele-Aid unit not receiving the speed sensor information, and the C code indicates that the ESP module not receiving the speed sensor information. The Tele-Aid unit may not receive the speed sensor info if the wiring is tempered with.

If you do not receive C type codes, it is safe to say that the ESP is receiving the speed sensor info and happy with them (unless there are other C type codes).

After the battery changeout, have you reset the steering angle sensor by turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times ?

Do you have a scanner that can read codes and live data from individual modules ?

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a big difference between N1100 /N1101 and C1100 and C1101 in that the N codes are reported by the Tele-Aid unit not receiving the speed sensor information, and the C code indicates that the ESP module not receiving the speed sensor information. The Tele-Aid unit may not receive the speed sensor info if the wiring is tempered with.

If you do not receive C type codes, it is safe to say that the ESP is receiving the speed sensor info and happy with them (unless there are other C type codes).

After the battery changeout, have you reset the steering angle sensor by turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times ?

Do you have a scanner that can read codes and live data from individual modules ?

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you.
My scanner ( Autel AL619) does not communicate with MB ABS.
I just went to pick up a copy of the report (copy attached) and now I am really confused!! There are so many faults and I've no idea what is related to the flashing of the ABS ESP/BAS lights.
I've been driving this car for years (mostly highway) with proper maintenance until last Sunday when I started the car and the lights came on. I can still drive the car with the exception that the ABS/ESP is not working.
Btw. I changed the battery the day after the lights came on.

·
W210 Section Moderator
8,742 Posts
The codes in 21. and 2.2 are of significance.

You can clear all codes from all modules and see which ones come up again.

N1100 and N1101 are STORED, that means they happened in the past (history) and can be ignored or cleared. Anything of significance is STORED & CURRENT.

codes in 21 and 2.2 are current.

Follow the steering angle sensor calibration procedure. Then you will see these codes clear hopefully.

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done that procedure...lights are still on.
It may be a good investment to get a good scanner that reads W210 MB codes w/ detailed info and diagnoses.
Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks for all your help.
Ulli.

·
W210 Section Moderator
8,742 Posts
You can get AP200m

AND

or

You can also get MB Star clone from china but it has a long learning curve.

Your problem is the steering angle sensor. Maybe you should try the procedure several times.

Of course it is best to have a scanner of your own.

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do any of these scanners point to the exact problem and part that has to be replaced?

·
W210 Section Moderator
8,742 Posts
Autel will provide output that will display faults as provided to you.
The Foxwell will be similar.

There is no scanner that will pinpoint a problem. They will display the fault codes, and real time data. The pinpointing has to be done by yourself, or if you post the codes as you did already, by the members of this forum, or the technician who works on the problem.

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 Wagon
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again, thank you for your help.
It looks like in my case I have to replace the Steering Angle Sensor.
Btw, pushing the ESP button did not reset the lights.
Ulli.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts