Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
E320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABS/BAS-ESP lights are on and my brake lights don't work...What could be my problem ?????...I have replaced my Brake light switch.......[xx(]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2001 w210. The problem was a blown fuse. The fuse box for that fuse is located inside the car in the auxiliary fuse box to the left of the headlight switch.

Hope this works

·
Registered
E320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jmansmann,,,, I will give that a try.....I replaced the brake light switch thinking that was the problem. So I will check the fuse....

Regards,

niwred

·
Registered
1999 E320 2 door avantguarde coupe
13 Posts
same problem,1999 E320, replaced brake light switch, replaced blown fuse (fuse 9) turned ignition on, fuse blows, took off light clusters, replaced bulbs, tried with clusters disconnected, fuse still blows, stumped!

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Where did you buy the brake light switch ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
have you tried simply to clear it? I know it's basic. But turn the wheel all the way to the left, all the way to the right and then back to center. Assuming the brake switch has been replaced and there are no outstanding codes, this should work. Whenever I disconnect the battery I have Yo clear the codes this way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
EDM trading, internet company OEM part.
tried the wheel turning thing a few times, goes away, replace the fuse, it blows and warning comes back

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,581 Posts
Go get another brake light switch from your local dealer. (And fill in your profile so we can offer advice based on where you are.) The part's cheap there, and aftermarket parts are known to be problematical.

I don't think that's your problem, but it's something you need to do in any case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bought genuine brake light switch, fitted, replaced fuse, turned ignition on, fuse blows straight away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
got genuine mercedes brake light switch, fitted, replaced fuse, turned ignition on, fuse blows again.
Disconnected switch, replaced fuse, same thing
took all bulbs out of the light clusers, left switch disconnected, same thing,
disconnected light clusters, same thing
now got 4 warnings, faulty bulb, abs/bas/esp
totally stumped!

·
Registered
1987 190e 2.3-16v Cosworth; 2000 E320 Saloon
135 Posts
have you tried simply to clear it? I know it's basic. But turn the wheel all the way to the left, all the way to the right and then back to center. Assuming the brake switch has been replaced and there are no outstanding codes, this should work. Whenever I disconnect the battery I have Yo clear the codes this way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm having the same issue. I used a genuine MB switch too

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic
15 Posts
I had the same issue in my car about a year ago. Problem was the brake light was actually making contact with the trunk lid causing the fuse to blow every single time. Remove the trunk liner off the lid and make sure its not touching the metal and check to see if thats your issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks for the reply, i will try that, ive tried everything else including taking it to an auto electrician, stumped him!

·
Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
244 Posts
Light control module might be your problem.
Cause it is the one in charge of the electricity distribution...before R/R it, make sure both of your rear brake bulb socket fittings and its seats are well bound to its plastic molding, especially spots where the metal contacts for that socket should not be loose or lose binding with the main metal board.
Or it will trigger intermittent faults.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,661 Posts
Light control module might be your problem.
Cause it is the one in charge of the electricity distribution...before R/R it, make sure both of your rear brake bulb socket fittings and its seats are well bound to its plastic molding, especially spots where the metal contacts for that socket should not be loose or lose binding with the main metal board.
Or it will trigger intermittent faults.
Jimmy,
Your responding to a 5 year old post. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts