Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
E300 TD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W210 E300TD '98 114K. As soon as I put my headlights on the ABS, BAS, ASR etc all flag up as not working followed by a display fault and after checking they are indeed not working. Turn the headlights off and everything is working normally again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Welcome aboard. Please click user cp and complete your profile for vehicle and location, it's useful information.

The DIY/Help stickies and search functions are your friend; together they'll answer the vast majority of issues you may face...including this one.

The greatest likelihood is the brake light switch. Buy the replacement at the dealer; they're inexpensive ($25) and the aftermarket ones can be buggy. Basic 30 minute DIY.

Good luck.

·
Registered
E300 TD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for suggestion but you can brake as many times as you wish and no problems, only comes on when you switch on headlights without even touching the brake.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
W210 E300TD '98 114K. As soon as I put my headlights on the ABS, BAS, ASR etc all flag up as not working followed by a display fault and after checking they are indeed not working. Turn the headlights off and everything is working normally again. Any suggestions?
During the daylight hours, what happens when you move the light switch just one position to the right? Or when you turn on your fog lamps on? And the last question is what happens to the issue when you use your high beams?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Thank you for suggestion but you can brake as many times as you wish and no problems, only comes on when you switch on headlights without even touching the brake.
You're making the poor assumption that the BLS has nothing to do but operate the brake lights. Learning is a good thing: It's integral to ABS, ASR, BAS and ESP. It is also a part that is known to fail (I carry one with me).

A fault in any part of BLS functionality triggers all of those alerts. As I suggested, do a search if you'd prefer, particularly since you seem inclined to reject the advice you sought when you started this thread.

Your choice is to spend $25 and a half hour of your time to change the switch. I freely admit there is a possibility that may not be it (although it is the first thing I'd do if I owned your car). The other two alternatives are to hem and haw and waste time and argue about it on the forum, or to hop on down to your favorite dealer and spend $400 or more to have them plug in the SDS and run system diagnostics. From a time and money standpoint, replacing the switch makes the most sense, but whatever.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
This is strange. I went to autohausaz to check the price of brake light switch. There's no 98 E300TD, only 98 E300D. That year and model ain't got no brake light switch under any subsystem category.
For my E430, the brake light switch is listed under "Electrical & Vacuum".
Does that mean that his car got a different problem causing the firework of warning lights when he switched on the headlights? Or Autohausaz just don't stock parts for rare cars?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Thank God AZ is always out to lunch--------001 545 01 09 used on a gazilion models including the 210.020 and 210.025

Not to worry!!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Once again, I would suggest buying this particular part directly from the dealer. I don't know what brand autohausaz is selling for the BLS, but there's not enough savings involved to make it worth the potential trouble. There's plenty of stories about aftermarket BLS's on the net to make it a useful risk to save five or ten bucks. JMHO; you guys know I love autohausaz.com, right?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
One thing that you should remember is that all of those systems are very sensitive to large voltage swings, large in MB sense is 1.5 to 2.0 volts.

This seems very logical with this situation, ie car starts, alternator starts but the battery may be marginal.

Then when you add the increased voltage by the cars consumers, like high beams------the voltage dips to close to 10.5 volts and wada you know, the dash starts to light up.

That is why I was asking about the little consuming parking lights---Turn the AC fan on high and see what that large consumer of voltage does.

Before I bought anything I would have the condition of my batterey and charging system checked out.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
E300 TD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
During the daylight hours, what happens when you move the light switch just one position to the right? Or when you turn on your fog lamps on? And the last question is what happens to the issue when you use your high beams?
Thank you for your reply. If I just put the side lights on (1st position), no malfuntion. As soon as I put headlights on, problems. I checked switching fog lights on as well whilst driving and revs dropped like going into a limp mode. When I stopped I checked with just side and fog on and there was a slight glow in the indicators and the dashboard warnings. Once the headlights are on any extra lighting such as indicators, high beam etc create more malfunctions. As soon as you turn off the lghts everything is ok again, even after cold morning starts and turning fan on full along with hrw and wipers everything is ok 'till headlights. Needless to say this is all before the car has even moved.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I agree checking current issues first. There are a couple of ground points on each fender for all of the lights, remove and clean and reconnect quite firmly. Also inspect/clean/replace the connections for the ground strap to the engine, in your humid area that's also a good thing to check. Absent proper current flow all sorts of things will be weird, so it seems less likely with your additional description that it is the brake light switch.

·
Registered
E300 TD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Pluto, charging and battery were both ok, having an auto electrician check out all the lighting tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what that reveals.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Wada bummer, but if the mechanic has a good 38 pin scanner,the issue will become very apparent! Good luck!!

·
Registered
E300 TD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys for your input. It was the earthing point behind the offside headlight.
First problem I've had in six or seven years of ownership!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts