Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
S500/500SEL/300E
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery died, car was parked for a year, hasn't been started since. Has been in a field with a tarp over it for last year.

Is there anything special I need to know about it besides adding some good gas to the tank and replacing the battery?

It ran flawlessly before, I drove it 2,200 miles home then pretty much parked it. What are the chances it'll start up no problem?

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Check oil, top off if needed. It'll need the (good) oil to re-lube itself.

There's a safe method for cranking the engine to pressurize the oil/fuel systems w/ ignition disconnected (not as simple as unplugging the coil) somewhere on here.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,029 Posts
Mine started after 2 years parked. Started up first turn. You could tell it had two years of dust on her... That's what impressed me. Check all your fluids, brush her teeth... Etc...

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
I'm going to be in the same situation in the next week or two ( depending on weather ). My car has been sitting in the yard since Nov. 1 with a good quality car cover on it. I did take the battery out of it and have it in the house. I put a trickle charger on it for a few hours every month. The gas tank was topped up and I put in some fuel stabilizer. Oil was changed about 1000 km prior to storage and tires were pumped up and seem to be the same as when I parked it.
I to hope that when the time comes, all I need to do is hook up the battery and turn her over and she starts. I can hardly wait to get the car back on the road.
I will update with the results.

·
Registered
1995 E320 (totalled) 91 420SEL W126 (retired) 2002 S500 W220(retired); 2008 C300 Sport W204
662 Posts
Under the hood there is a green wire attahced to the ignition module on the drivers side front fender. Disconnect this wire from the ignition module and then crank the engine until you see the needle on the oil pressure gauge move. Reconnect this wire and then crank the engine. THis wire is the Crank position sensor connection. It is better to disconnect this wire rather than disconnecting the coil etc. Doing this reduces the chances of damaging the ignition module by changing resistance values etc...
This is the same procedure you follow when changing the Oil in the engine. Which I would recommend you do if the car has sat for a year.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If it were MY car I wouldn't TOUCH the starter until I removed both valve covers and poured a can of oil over the valve train and especially on the chain (both sides). Then I would turn it over (preferably with a breaker bar on the crank), and then pour some more oil on the chain until it's good and lubed. THEN I would start it. What I don't understand is people KNOW these chains give trouble so they ignore a 1 year dry chain? It makes no sense.

·
Registered
1995 E320 (totalled) 91 420SEL W126 (retired) 2002 S500 W220(retired); 2008 C300 Sport W204
662 Posts
It is not so much that the chain is "dry" it is not tensioned properly. The chain tensioner is hydraulic and needs to be primed so the chain is as tight as it needs to be before you light a fire in the engine. The starter is only 12 to 14 hp and will not cause an issue but will prime the tensioner just fine. Once the needle moves on the oil gauge it will be perfectly safe to crank the engine over. This all assumes that the oil is in good condition.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It is that the chain is dry. Dry chains under load gaul. A lot of gauling means stretch.

It is not so much that the chain is "dry" it is not tensioned properly. The chain tensioner is hydraulic and needs to be primed so the chain is as tight as it needs to be before you light a fire in the engine. The starter is only 12 to 14 hp and will not cause an issue but will prime the tensioner just fine. Once the needle moves on the oil gauge it will be perfectly safe to crank the engine over. This all assumes that the oil is in good condition.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,136 Posts
JUST A NOTE ON BATTERY STORAGE; ITS GOOD PRACTICE TO HAVE THE BATTERY ON A SHELF, WITH A BOARD UNDER IT WHICH IS LONGER THAN THE SHELF IS WIDE, SO YOU CAN MOVE IT UP & DOWN VIGOROUSLY, TO KEEP THE LIQUIDS MIXED.

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
Update.

This afternoon at approx. 2 p.m. local time after hooking up the battery the Benz which had been under cover for most of the winter roared to life on the first try after cyclying the ignition twice to get the fuel pumps going. I took her out for a half hour drive on the highway and had a big smile on my face as she just ran so soomthly.
This week I will be replacing all my belts with Conti belts and the fuel filter as well as oil change. This weekend it is suppose to get to 16 C.

Take care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.