Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm an active member of various forums when dealing with things I own.

If this post is in the wrong forum, please advise and I'll move to the correct forum.

I'm in the process of obtaining a used 2007 C230 Sport Sedan, and my first (of I'm assuming many!) questions is how to verify if the radio is satellite ready or not? I am trading in a 2011 Nissan Frontier which has XM Radio built into the radio, and would like to keep my SiriusXM subscription with the replacement car.

I called SiriusXM and they offered me an Onyx radio 'package' that is supposed to easily connect to any existing radio in any car system blah blah blah, with a discounted 3 motnh service package, blah blah blah....but I am loathe to pay for something I am not even sure would work correctly, as this is not your ordinary car :D

If the existing radio does not natively support SXM how can I verify if it is easy enough to add it in? What about obtaining a MB OEM radio (from, say , a wrecked c230 in a junkyard) that has SXM support built in to replace the existing radio?

From what I've been reading in the forums, it seems that SXM is a (depending upon who posted) either a dealer installed option or a factory installed option. I'm told that the car *does* have the 6-disc changer in the glove compartment, and that it is pre-wired for NAV, Telephone, etc., but the only thing I can verify right now (will have car later this evening) is that

1. It is a good price
  2. It has low miles (less than 70K)
  3. it has BT connectivity for my smartphone
Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
the radio will have an XM/Sirius button if it is satellite ready. if it doesn't it is not. most don't.

I have the aftermarket onyx in mine and it took about 20 minutes to install and works fine. it uses the aux input (see sticky at top for how to connect an aux input cable).

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
John, If the car doesn't have Sirius built-in, then I would go aftermarket. In fact, I'd replace the entire head unit with an aftermarket unit. For the price of installing the factory Bluetooth, iPod and Sirius options, you could buy a near top of the line Pioneer touchscreen with all that plus NAV. I noticed that you said you had XM in your Nissan. MBZ is Sirius, and while they are the same company, SiriusXM does not allow "crosswalking" or combining subscriptions between the two services. For all practical purposes, it's still two companies.

One other thing, you might want to post the VIN of the prospective C230. Some of the V6 engines used in the C230, C280 and C350 vehicles have a bad flaw (search "balance shaft") that is very costly to repair. We can lookup the engine serial number by VIN and let you know if it's affected.

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the radio will have an XM/Sirius button if it is satellite ready. if it doesn't it is not. most don't.

I have the aftermarket onyx in mine and it took about 20 minutes to install and works fine. it uses the aux input (see sticky at top for how to connect an aux input cable).
Thanks for the heads up.

John, If the car doesn't have Sirius built-in, then I would go aftermarket. In fact, I'd replace the entire head unit with an aftermarket unit. For the price of installing the factory Bluetooth, iPod and Sirius options, you could buy a near top of the line Pioneer touchscreen with all that plus NAV. I noticed that you said you had XM in your Nissan. MBZ is Sirius, and while they are the same company, SiriusXM does not allow "crosswalking" or combining subscriptions between the two services. For all practical purposes, it's still two companies.

One other thing, you might want to post the VIN of the prospective C230. Some of the V6 engines used in the C230, C280 and C350 vehicles have a bad flaw (search "balance shaft") that is very costly to repair. We can lookup the engine serial number by VIN and let you know if it's affected.
Kewl, good info to know. I know that it has the BT capabilities as the current owner has a phone paired with the car, but it is currently at the local MBZ dealership getting a couple of things worked out (broken Passenger front Door handle, rough ride, see note later).

The VIN on the car is: WDBRF52H07F915331 - THE 0 may be the letter O, not sure as I'm copying this from hand writing from the inside of the manual. I can verify it tomorrow when I get back to the dealership.

So, if I go aftermarket (a really good friend of mine that I went to grade, middle and High school with owns one of the premier local audio enthusiast shops) I can stick with XM and thus keep my subscription current? Awesome. I'll look into it first thing tomorrow.

On a side note - the current owner recently had all 4 tires replaced (as you all know, they are staggered, 225/45R17 front and 245/40R17 rear) at Sears, probably about 4 months ago. After driving on them for a couple of days, he took it back to them b/c the car was handling rough. They checked everything out, said it was no problem. Then he took it to the local MBZ dealership, whereupon it was determined that the tiers were, in fact, not balanced properly. The MBZ dealership charged for a simple mount and balance, which he then got Sears to reimburse him for the charge from the original price of the tires.

Then, last week, the RR tire abruptly blew out. He got the car towed back to Sears, and they did a replacement via Road Hazard coverage pro-rated basically, 3% of the tire price had to be paid again. Again, the current owner stated that the car was running roughly, and was going to take it back to Sears to see what the problem was.

I offered instead to get everything done in one shot and drove the vehicle myself to the local MBZ dealership again. I've never driven an MBZ before, and to me it didn't seem like anything was wrong, but I took the laundry list of things that the current owner listed that needed attention to the Svc Mgr there.

While waiting for my ride to show up, I noticed that the RR tire looked ... odd. Upon closer inspection, it looked like the RR tire sidewall was bulging out more than the LR. Calling the SM over, we both confirmed that it was not my eyes, that he definitely saw the same thing. Then we realized that the tire width was narrower on the RR than the LR. Then we realized (wait for it):

The #%^#@%^ at Sears put one of the tires sized for the front axles on the rear. Yup, confirmed and verified: I have both front tires at 225/45R17, the LR at 245/40R17 and the RR at 225/45R17.

Just ... wow.

I know where that car is going for any and all repairs and such, and I definitely know where it is NOT going for tire service lol....

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Verified, 0 not O.

Also, Svc. Mgr. found three remaining HUs with Sirius satellite radio, but it runs $1440.00 just for the HU. Time to go the alternate route with the Onyx....

He also didn't know anything about the balance issue but said he would also research it on his end.

Sent from my rooted BIONIC running ICS 6.7.235 via Tapatalk 2

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
WDBRF52H07F915331 has M272 engine #570843, which is beyond the affected range, so you're good there :thumbsup: (FYI, all VINs are "zeroes", no "ohs", to avoid this confusion).

I am very surprised the car has factory Bluetooth - that's an extremely rare feature in a W203. So it has the cradle and adapter in the center console? Or maybe the previous owner put in an after-market solution (but those are still expensive).

On the tires, I have had mixed results with Sears, but nothing like that. I gave up on NTB long ago - totally crappy service. I have had decent service from Big 10, but my last 10 sets of tires have been from Costco - excellent service.

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No cradle, just a pair able phone. I'll know more in a couple of minutes.

It definitely is not aftermarket - the previous owner doesn't do squat after market. I do, but he does not....

Of course, I'm going by his word, so it may not have BT and his phone may not be paired after all...I played with it a little and didn't see a way to pair.

Thanks for hte heads up on 0s versus Os.

Sears owned up to the mistake and have ordered a replacement tire completely free of charge, so I can't really moan anymore lol.

·
19,447 Posts
Sorry, John. Like I said, the factory phone option in a W203 was very rare. Most C-Class buyers were very price conscious, so adding a $2K+ phone option to a $36K car was not typical. Because of this, few dealers would have ordered it as a factory option for their "lot cars". Of course there could have been some custom orders, but again, those were rare for C-Classes. Now, if we were talking SL, CL or S-Class, the phone option was quite common on those - what's another $2K on a $100K car?

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so is there a built in phone for the auto?

·
19,447 Posts
Yes, there is an OEM option to add an integrated phone. Unfortunately, it's very expensive. You'll probably spend around $750 if you DIY. There are a few aftermarket solutions, but most are not as clean as OEM, for example, the Grom device works, but uses the CD changer controls for the phone, so you have to remember things like Track+ = answer, Track- = hangup. Honestly, I'd probably just replace the radio with an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha. So even if there is not a phone installed there are the phone controls on the standard radio.

Read through the manual last night, and I'm a lot more familiar with the system.

A couple of Qs:

1) Are the interior door handles easy to break, particularly at the top? Both front door handles are broken and can be pulled off - the bottoms of both are still intact, but it seems only a matter of time when those break as well...

2) I've added aftermarket Xenon-based HID lights to other vehicles in the past. I've become addicted to them ever since I had my '99 Infiniti Q45 Touring about 8 years ago (stock option on that vehicle). I haven't really looked closely under the hood (plan on doing that for about an hour today) but if it can be accommodated, what are you opinion(s) on adding aftermarket HIDs to the C230 machine? I prefer excellent vision when driving, and would not necessarily need to replace both low and high beam lights, only the low (and possibly the fog lamps as well, if I can find a good solution for those as well).

3) How about LED replacement bulbs for interior lights as well?

I'll read through this forum more in the coming days to see what sorts of mods people have performed. The guys over at Audio Zoo (Macon / Warner Robins, GA) would love to help me get XM and BT ready, and have also quoted me a price on adding a remote start to the vehicle - pricey, but financing is available, too. I'm a bit tempted to go for that b/c I've added the same to my last 4 vehicles - a godsend in GA summer heat.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

·
19,447 Posts
Gotcha. So even if there is not a phone installed there are the phone controls on the standard radio.
Correct, every MBZ HU and steering wheel has the phone controls even if the underlying hardware is not installed. Also, there is an option called "cell phone pre-wiring" which can be confusing. It's nothing more than the wiring harness for the cell phone equipment.

1) Are the interior door handles easy to break, particularly at the top? Both front door handles are broken and can be pulled off - the bottoms of both are still intact, but it seems only a matter of time when those break as well...
Yes, unfortunately, this is a common failure. The door handles are about $40 each to replace and it will take about an hour to remove the door panel to fix them.

2) I've added aftermarket Xenon-based HID lights to other vehicles in the past. I've become addicted to them ever since I had my '99 Infiniti Q45 Touring about 8 years ago (stock option on that vehicle). I haven't really looked closely under the hood (plan on doing that for about an hour today) but if it can be accommodated, what are you opinion(s) on adding aftermarket HIDs to the C230 machine? I prefer excellent vision when driving, and would not necessarily need to replace both low and high beam lights, only the low (and possibly the fog lamps as well, if I can find a good solution for those as well).
I'll not chastise you for adding HID lamps to lenses designed for halogens, which will likely blind oncoming drivers, but a better solution is to replace the headlights with aftermarket units with projector lenses and all the hardware installed. Also, you will either need to have the car programmed for HID's or you'll need to install the necessary resistors to fool the system into thinking it still has 55w bulbs in place or else the HID's will flicker and you'll get error on the cluster's MFD. Some aftermarket units come with everything ready and "error free".

3) How about LED replacement bulbs for interior lights as well?
Search the forum - someone already did this and has all the details.

I'll read through this forum more in the coming days to see what sorts of mods people have performed. The guys over at Audio Zoo (Macon / Warner Robins, GA) would love to help me get XM and BT ready, and have also quoted me a price on adding a remote start to the vehicle - pricey, but financing is available, too. I'm a bit tempted to go for that b/c I've added the same to my last 4 vehicles - a godsend in GA summer heat.
I would be very hesitant to deal with a shop that claims they can install remote start on an MBZ. The DAS (Drive Authorization System) in these vehicle is very secure. The only successful remote-start systems I have heard of either embed a key in the vehicle, or, replace some critical security components making your vehicle very easy to steal.

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct, every MBZ HU and steering wheel has the phone controls even if the underlying hardware is not installed. Also, there is an option called "cell phone pre-wiring" which can be confusing. It's nothing more than the wiring harness for the cell phone equipment.
OK, that answers that. Thanks.

Yes, unfortunately, this is a common failure. The door handles are about $40 each to replace and it will take about an hour to remove the door panel to fix them.
Yeah, I found the thread where it was mentioned on an 04.5 which linked to InstallU. That is a great site. Knowing where everything is will make this a lot easier - I used to install car stereos myself, so I'll definitely be going the DIY route. Never had a major problem with any of hte 8 vehicles I've had so far, and every one has had a door panel (or 3) off at one point or another.

I'll not chastise you for adding HID lamps to lenses designed for halogens, which will likely blind oncoming drivers, but a better solution is to replace the headlights with aftermarket units with projector lenses and all the hardware installed. Also, you will either need to have the car programmed for HID's or you'll need to install the necessary resistors to fool the system into thinking it still has 55w bulbs in place or else the HID's will flicker and you'll get error on the cluster's MFD. Some aftermarket units come with everything ready and "error free".
Ahhh, didn't think about that. I that case I may just opt for SUlverStar Ultra bulbs until I decide on a more permanent solution such as this.

Search the forum - someone already did this and has all the details.
Kewl. Made it through 3 pages thus far, and have found a ton of resources already.

Wonder if it would be a good idea to make a thread just linking to those posts that a mod could then sticky? Would probably save some searching (I know, I know, we always tell new users to search - I'm pretty good at it myself, but some new users, particularly those not very familiar with forums, tend not to know how to use the correct keywords for successful searching...

I would be very hesitant to deal with a shop that claims they can install remote start on an MBZ. The DAS (Drive Authorization System) in these vehicle is very secure. The only successful remote-start systems I have heard of either embed a key in the vehicle, or, replace some critical security components making your vehicle very easy to steal.
I'm not - they had to do the exact same thing (embed a key in the remote start module) to my Infinit Q45 back in 2006. I have 2 keys only, so this could end up being problematic. I'll think about it.

The guys at the shop, particularly Mike (originally from Jersey), have a lot of contacts at other shops throughout the lower 48 and they are certain that it will work b/c it was performed on an 08 230 about 9 months ago, from what I understand. Plus, this will be a bonus for them as well, since they would then be able to say they have first hand experience with performing the remote start install on my Mercedes, meaning that they could then start mentioning it to other clients with higher end vehicles.

·
19,447 Posts
Well, you can always order another spare key (about $200 from the dealer). Personally, I still wouldn't do this. One of the things I really like about MBZ's is the DAS electronics that pretty much means they are theft-proof, at least from the standpoint of "hot wiring".

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm holding off for at least a couple of months. If I move up north then the remote start won't be as useful. It's only in this GA heat.

I've been here for 36 years and it is still too hot for me when the temp gets above 70 degF....

·
19,447 Posts
70F? Really? You obviously haven't been Down South long enough! 70 is "cool". When it gets into the 60's people start wearing sweaters. 50's and the news starts running stories about the dangers of space heaters and fireplaces. 40's and they start reminding people to check on the elderly. 30's and they start closing the schools. 20's and, well, I don't think our thermometers go that low! ;)

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol. Yeah, I'm hot natured. I wear shorts in the 50s....

·
Registered
2007 MB C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so i had a mini accident, and posted over in the classified section about a replacement rim. Or 2. Or even 4 if the price is right.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1671715

Anyone heard of that site or have any other recommendations?

I've found a seller on eBay selling authentic replacement rims for $300, but would like to save any money I can....

Sent from my rooted BIONIC running ICS 6.7.242 via Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts