Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
received my xenon assembly set today for my 99 clk320, going to attempt it tomorrow, anything i need to know before or after the install? Any programming neccessary? And also where can i go get bulbs for it, i'm looking for 6000k's as it seems to be the best bet based on the forums searches. Thanks.

P.S. Halogen set for sale if anyone is looking for it.

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
when i first bought 6000k bulbs for my oem xenons i got them from www.suvlights.com and they were the philips ultinons and were i think around $250. now i have 8000ks that i bought off ebay for $100 and they look sick.

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
BKLYNbenz - 4/21/2005 3:33 PM

when i first bought 6000k bulbs for my oem xenons i got them from www.suvlights.com and they were the philips ultinons and were i think around $250. now i have 8000ks that i bought off ebay for $100 and they look sick.
You wouldn't happen to have pics as compariison..or even just of the 8000K, would ya?

Arabian...it should be plug in play, however I'm not sure how your 320 is set up, but I had a plastic screw on cover for my lights to keep out moisture. You might have to modify that so the ballast wires fit in. Also, get some zip ties to anchor down the ballasts in you engine bay so they don't go flying anywhere.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally got it done, yes plug and play after taking the bumper off ... it took 2 hours but worked fine, i will post pictures later on as i have a comparison with both halogens and xenon's on at the same time. Only one problem is that i'm missing the bulb on both sides that go into the smaller headlight closer to the grill, the high beam is in there but the other one is just empty, does anyone know which bulb part that is?

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Arabian Knights - 4/21/2005 12:01 AM

finally got it done, yes plug and play after taking the bumper off ... it took 2 hours but worked fine, i will post pictures later on as i have a comparison with both halogens and xenon's on at the same time. Only one problem is that i'm missing the bulb on both sides that go into the smaller headlight closer to the grill, the high beam is in there but the other one is just empty, does anyone know which bulb part that is?
Took the bumper off? I assume you change your fogs?

The light number should be in your manual.

·
Registered
CLK430 Cabrio
188 Posts
Arabian sounds like he's installing OEM Benz HID light housing which have different optics than the halogens and include the ballast. Those require removal of the bumper.

Str8, I would guess your xenon retrofit used the original halogen headlight housings and just added the HID ballast, cable, and bulb. Probably an easier install; how's the light quality?

By the way, the bulbs on the small inside lights are H6W for the city light and H7 for the high beam lamps.

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
splib - 4/22/2005 10:24 AM

Arabian sounds like he's installing OEM Benz HID light housing which have different optics than the halogens and include the ballast. Those require removal of the bumper.

Str8, I would guess your xenon retrofit used the original halogen headlight housings and just added the HID ballast, cable, and bulb. Probably an easier install; how's the light quality?

By the way, the bulbs on the small inside lights are H6W for the city light and H7 for the high beam lamps.
Ah, the whole housing makes sense. Yes, I retrofitted an ML55 xenon bulb and ballast in my halogen housing. The light is bright and looks good, however the spread of the light is not that of original xenon's....for example, OEM Xenon housings give a nice cut-off point or horizontal line when shined on the garage. My cut off point is not as clean as the OEM set-up. However, it still lights up the street SO much better and looks nice!

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
That looks tight man. Mine turn that color when I turn them on (almost gree if it's really cold) and slowly turn whitish over a period of 30 seconds.

I want that color all the time!! lol I might have to upgrade bulbs after seeing that pic..

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
I like them alot but the day time running lights are so yellow compared to them. Thats the color the headlights are all the time. Anyways, after these photos I took out the city lights. Anyone know how I can have no bulb in there and have the lamp failure light not come on? Dont tell me to just leave the bulb in and hide it under the hood somewhere cuz I dont like that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wire in a load equalizer so it still draws current. I have them on my car because I have color matching LEDs in my standing lights and I don't get a bulb out warning. You can get them at www.f o r m y merecedes.com

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes i actually bought it from ebay, the whole oem assembly, took about 2.5 hours to take off the whole bumper and install the new xenons, wow i love them ... totally change the car. I was going to change the fog lights to match the colour but i'm waiting for the lorinser kit to come next week hopefully and see what bulbs they come with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts