Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
A Benz, a Toyota, and a bunch of ex-BMWs.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question regarding my relatively-new-to-me 1995 E320 with 218k on the clock.

The car sat for a couple of days in temperatures ranging from 39-65 degrees, with medium to heavy rain last night. This morning the car fired up just fine, as usual, and we motored down the road. After the first stop light, about a mile from the house, the ASR light came on after a right turn on red. The engine wouldn't accelerate without seriously putting my foot into it, and the transmission shifted only when letting up on the pedal. I pulled into a gas station, cycled the ignition, and the ASR light came back shortly after restart and before moving.

The check engine light has never been a problem, except for the ubiquitous Code 26 for the upshift delay valve, and that doesn't come on until the outside temperature gets above 65 degrees. While I have no documentation the engine harness has been replaced, I have to figure by this point it must have been. Of course, I'll check that tonight when I get home, but is there a tag or a date code somewhere I should be looking for?

Other than, "Take it somewhere and have it scanned," is there anything else obvious I should be looking at.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming I go home tonight via Radio Shack and build myself a code reader, is everything scanned through the port by the battery with the button and the LED on it? I know the button only shows engine/emissions faults, but will using the tool there show me what I need to know?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
A flash code reader will allow you to access all the functioning pins on the 16 pin connector - 3/DM, 6/SRS, 7/AC, 8/HFM and 14/EA/CC/ISC. You are most interested in 3, 8 and 14. On pins 8 and 14 there is level of detail, or sub-code, beyond what the flash code reader will provide. For that you need a more professional level code reader such as a shop would have.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Id check for throttle cable being too tight (happens sometimes) but engine wiring harness upper and lower and throttle internal wiring is a more possible issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, some information and another couple of questions.

For giggles, I pulled the codes using the button and the blinking LED by the battery. Got a code 6 (Idle Speed Control Faulty) and the aforementioned code 26 (shocking). I've not had code 6 before this. Again, no check engine light, but I guess whatever happened was enough for it to remember codes.

I checked the throttle linkage bits and lubed them. Everything seems to move smoothly.

The engine wiring harness looks noticably newer than everything around it; the electronic throttle body does not. Suck.

I've read on some other posts about a tag that is supposed to be on the engine wiring harness. Anyone know where that tag might be? I've traced most of what I could without removing the battery and didn't see anything.

Regardless, I've put everything back together and will now go for a drive.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Code 6 is telling you to check for faults on pin 14. The wiring harness tag would be near the source plug behind the battery.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
If the throttle looks old id bet its the wires in it are bad, and it will short and cause alot of codes that dont make sense. If you pull back the wire covers by an injector and it doesnt look like its all cracked and crumbling your probably good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts