Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2001 SLK-230.<br>
And I saw on this site that somebody actually changed the head unit of the radio to aftermarket ones.<br>
So I wonder how that can be done. Is it possible to use the factory speakers with the aftermarket one? Because I heard from the dealer saying that if the harness wire is cut then it is going to give you the system error or something?<br>
If anybody have done installing the aftermarket radio, could you please tell me how you did it?<br>
Thank you....<p>ool-18b9532d.dyn.optonline.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have an SLK320, and I had my head unit changed to a Kenwood. This was done at a car radio shop in Bellevue, WA (Cartoys). The new head unit feeds into the existing Bose power amp & factory speakers. I also had them install a Kenwood 10-CD changer in the trunk, and a Nokia hands-free unit, which mutes the radio (just like the factory system). Everything works like a charm, no system error, the dealer is just trying to scare you.<br> <br> By the way, the total cost for everything was approx. $1100, about half of what the dealer woukd have extorted from me for that outdated Motorola phone plus the MB 6-CD changer. Additionally, the cellphone is now right in front of me on the console, between the keys and the cupholder, so I don't even need to take my hand off the wheel for dialing.<br> <br> Werner<br> <p>1Cust202.tnt2.seattle2.wa.da.uu.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also installed a Kenwood CD/mp3 head unit in my 2001 SLK. A modified VW wiring harness was used and NONE of the stock wiring was cut or spliced in any way. To go back to the stock head unit takes only a few minutes. I also added a subwoofer amplifier and subwoofer in the trunk. I kept hte stock Bose amp and speakers inside. The results were great, and cost about 1000$. For pictures and more info search for my posts on the SLK (R-170) board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts