Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and I'm interested in buying a used SL550 and what has me most concerned are all the ABC issues I read about here.

What are the chances that a car will have an ABC issue?

What can be done to prevent it?

Has MB improved the system over the years? Is it applicable to all SLs or just certain years?

Is it something that occurs later in the cars life? Is it related to miles or time?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
The later model SL`s like the SL550 have improved on the ABC system. Better Pump and better filtration systems. But as always the ABC system is an expensive system if there is a failure. So maintain it with care. Check the fluid level on a constant basis and if the car does "Sag" dont drive it. Change the fluid at about 40K miles and have a qualified shop do the work. Hopefully you have a warranty and that will keep the costs down in the event of failure. I have 2 ABC Cars. Its a great system when its working correctly. My CL is almost at 100K and my SL is at 70K miles. I just had my SL ABC system flushed and new filters with a Rodeo. If you stay on top of these cars they will last a very long time.

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
hey bltserv, how long have you had your sl and have you ever had any issues?
Mine has been almost bullet proof. Bought it used in 2006 with 22K miles.
Here is the list of fixed items.

Secondary Air Pump. Warranty/Recall
Transmission Mount
Idler Pulley and belts. Bearing Exploded on inner Plastic Pulley.
Plugs and Valve cover Gaskets replaced at 60K Miles.
Transmission Electrical Connector and a Tranny Flush
Trunk Gas Shocks. DIY
Adjust Right Window for air leak. 3 times now. DIY.
Top. Small flap broke and replaced.
On my third Intercooler Pump. I have Johnson CM30 now.
Had the entire front end repainted by AMG authorized shop to get rid of rock chips.
Just had ABC system Flushed and Filters at 70K miles.

And as always Tires and Brakes Pads every 20K Miles. Fresh Michelin PS2 a couple months ago. Its due for pads/rotors all around in about 6 months.

Overall been very pleased with my AMG. I can honestly say it runs better now than when I first bought it. Normally only drive it on weekends and its garaged 100%.

Using Total/Quartz Racing Oil. 10/50. Used to be called ELF Oil.

These are great cars. But you need to be able to afford to maintain them properly.
Especially when they are out of warranty. And I am lucky to have a really good local Indy Shop so I can avoid the stealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts