Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m experiencing a failure of the strut mount on my ‘03 S55 and am looking at replacing the strut (Driver Front). I’m a pretty accomplished DIY-er so I know I can change the actual part. Wanted to get a definitive answer on whether or not I need SDS or if I can just cycle the ride height after replacement to bleed the system and get everything set the way it should be. Tips/tricks welcome!

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,271 Posts
SDS will let you do the "Rodeo" actuation, which should cycle any air out of the system.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this required or just an easier way to bleed the system? I don’t have SDS and trying to avoid a trip to the stealership. Also, I saw a disclaimer of sorts on arnott site that mentioned that the shock would need to be recalibrated?

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,271 Posts
It's an easier, and considerably faster, way to bleed the system. It'll eventually bleed out with driving; it'll just take longer. The ABC might be a little less quick to respond with air bubbles in the system, because it's got to compress that air when it actuates. Probably will feel a bit like AIRmatic until the bleeding's finished.

Not sure about the recalibration, because I haven't had to replace an ABC strut. I'll defer to the ABC gurus on that one.

If you're a pretty accomplished DIY'er, then you really should get SDS if you're planning at all to keep (and thus enjoy) a car like an S55 AMG. For US $700, you really can't beat it for these cars. See, SDS is the stealership tool, plus a little bit more (stealerships don't have Developer Mode).

Reactions: Dave2302

·
W220 Moderator
7,741 Posts
I have only had to re-calibrate one, and that was purely because some idiot had attempted to re-calibrate it because a strut was showing as faulty, normally, fit 'em and then run 'em up and down 10 times on the Dash Height Button, don't often do Rodeo's these days ;)

HTH :)

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,801 Posts
If it’s just the top rubber strut mount , members have fixed it with a thick rubber m10 washer for pennies . No need to change a whole strut

a foxwell nt510 scanner with Mercedes software can do a rodeo . I’ve seen them used on eBay for $75

1 - 6 of 6 Posts