Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S600
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

All was well today until "the incident." I was driving down the street and stopped at a light. I heard a tremendous bang! Then in white the "ABC VISIT WORKSHOP" appeared. A second later the RED "ABC DRIVE CAREFULLY!" appeared. I usually observe a moaning around 1200 RPM but now witness nothing. I drive 1.5 miles back to my house and pull it into the garage. I look all around the compartment and see that the main hose in broken. It is directly below all of the drive belts. I then pull out the ABC dipstick to measure the fluid...there appears to be none. I open up the reservoir to remove the filter and sure enough no fluid is in the tank. What in the world do I do????? Please help! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
MB S600, Volvo XC70
169 Posts
Ouch, Sorry to hear.

Hope every ABC car owner familiar with the action list I compiled, in case getting ABC issue: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/5358383-post7.html

You shouldn't keep driving it. As I mentioned, keep engine running without fluid will kill the ABC pump. Less than a minute maybe ok, longer than that, adding 1k in the repair order to replace the pump.

Let your mechanic check the pump first, hope it can survive.
But you mentioned you get noise when pump ran, so you were going to replace it anyway.

Good luck.

Howard

·
Registered
2003 S600, 2002 C320 Wagon
156 Posts
You will have to change the ABC line that runs under the engine. The power steering and ABC are powered by a tandem pump. Pump is about $2,000 from dealer....try autohausAZ for parts. Takes about 4 hours of labour. ABC line is about $700 And takes about 14 hours of labour as the engine has to be lifted. While the engine is lifted, replace the engine mounts if they haven't been changed already. (the engine has to be lifted higher to replace these $70 parts). It will cost you a bit more but it will save you another $2,000 in labour later on.

·
Registered
2003 S600
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Had the car flat-bedded to Mercedes-Benz of White Plains earlier today. The car bottomed out and was scratched. I went ballistic to say the least and it is being fixed at no cost to me and the tow is also free. They expect my extended warranty to cover everything. I will be updated later on with specifics. Thanks for all of the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts