Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi i was wondering how much that star c4 cost?
also on my 2003 sl, been working on abc system. the rear shocks are so high
and when run it they seem like there locked in that position. any ideas
thanks, crankie frankie fp4416
C3 or C4 system will work. C4 will run a couple hundred more and you get wireless. C3 will work just fine. I got one for just under 600 (that included buying a used dell to run it).

If you are going to be working on your ABC system it is a must have. If your rear shocks are high and don't move then you have something going on. SDS is needed to check out if they calibrations are correct and the height sensors are reading correctly. You can also adjust the settings with SDS as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After reading about all the problems everyone is having, I hope I haven't made a mistake. I just purchased a 2004 SL500 on EBay. The owner stated that the ABC pump is Kaput. I have a rebuilt on order and I will swap it out. Two questions, where is the ABC system filter, I want to change it. I am guessing in the oil tank? Also is commercial Hydraulic fluid ok or do you really need MB hydraulic fluid?
Thanks Dan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dan,
You will want to get the specific procedures to swap out the ABC pump. It has to be primed with pressure applied to the reservoir before you try and run it. If you do not do this is may not prime and you will destroy your newly installed pump in short order.
Yes you need to use the correct fluid. Pentosin 11S is available from Amazon for a decent price. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ESOQZU?colid=3OW1IXMWIT2N0&coliid=I2K9P622L06SB3&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

The ABC system on these cars is very sensitive so you do not want to go with another fluid or you could end up with all kinds of problems that will require a complete disassembly of the system (lots of work there). There are many different seals on this system and using a generic Hydraulic fluid could have problems with these seals. No sense trying to save a few bucks with the risk of thousands.

The big question is if the previous owner was correct and the ABC pump is Kaput or if there is just another issue that is causing the system to lock down. You will need to get the car scanned and codes pulled to see what was going on. Since you just bought the car (I hope you got a deal!) getting a good scan done and seeing what the status of the car is would be prudent anyway. Do you have any service history on this car? Try and find a reputable indy mechanic with a Star system or see if anyone in your area has one that would be willing to bring over and plug in for you.
If you are planning on doing most of the maintenance on this car yourself, invest in a C3 or C4 system. It will pay for itself in no time.

Good Luck

Tony

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chf 11 s is available on eBay cheaper 65dollars for 5 liters don't forget to slowly hand spin the pump until u feel it's taken in enough fluid I've done this twice so far take ur time

·
Registered
33 Posts
On sl600 04 it had 3 bolts for the pump 2 are plain view on the front one in the back took a while to spot I believe it's an 8 mm in the back ratchet wrench was very helpful now depending what model u have the are 4 bolts but I only had three there's pumps on ebay rebuilt no core exchange for 650 free shipping with a 2 year hassle free warranty I'm about to install the same one but tell them to use more packaging material again depending on what model u have u may need to lift the motor on the pump side things that need to be disassembled are power steering tank ABC tank air boxes serpentine belt coolant drained electric fans removed 267 446 5711 if u get lost doing it shoot a text oh also don't crossthread the banjo bolt very easy to do also I was able to do mine without removing ac line or disconnecting only unbolt clamps to allow ac line movmentthere's a metal piece by the ABC tank that must be unbolted just

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the pump out in 3 hours don't forget to block up the front of the car tires off the ground for 30 min no need to depressureize with the nipple at the strut possible they can break off

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Tony,
If I got an honest response from the previous owner, a big if!!! He had to change out a strut that was leaking oil. he thinks he pumped the fluid out of the reservoir and then burnt up the pump. I will change it out just because it is 11 years old and 82,000 miles. The owners manual says the Pentosin CHF llS goes into the power steering portion of the pump and regular Hydraulic oil goes into the ABC system tank. I am aware that starting the pump dry could wreck it. I am hoping the car stands back up after I finish swapping out the pump.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
After reading about all the problems everyone is having, I hope I haven't made a mistake. I just purchased a 2004 SL500 on EBay. The owner stated that the ABC pump is Kaput. I have a rebuilt on order and I will swap it out. Two questions, where is the ABC system filter, I want to change it. I am guessing in the oil tank? Also is commercial Hydraulic fluid ok or do you really need MB hydraulic fluid?
Thanks Dan
In for a penny, in for a pound. No turning back now! :smile I just purchased an '03 Sl500 but I spent 1 1/2 years on the fence on whether or not I was willing to take on the challenge of the ABC system. My other car is a W220 with Airmatic and I have had some typical suspension issues over the last 3 1/2 years of ownership so I was familiar with Mercedes.

What I did before taking the final plunge to make my purchase was read every post that I could find at Benzworld as well as MBworld (both R230 and W220 forums)about the ABC system. I gained enough knowledge to feel confident that I could handle most problems on my own DIY without having to rely on outside help other than the forums and my copy of the WIS (Workshop Information System). My experience so far has been a good one with only the pulsation dampener I posted about earlier in this thread needing replacement.

Before just throwing a pump on it, you need to find out if the pump is really bad. Use the troubleshooting guide in my earlier post to help you isolate the problems and then methodically go through and fix them one by one. I had a broken antenna and ashtray lid wouldn't stay shut to name a couple that I fixed right away. I also have the drivers side lumbar support on order which I plan to post a short DIY repair as soon as the part comes in from Huskers.

Looks like you are in Connecticut so this could be a great winter project if you have access to some space and a heater.

Lastly, you already own a Mercedes so this one will not be much different except a bit more complex. Don't let the naysayers influence you. You are going to love your new acquisition once you get it sorted out!

Good Luck,

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for all that info. Did you use Hydraulic oil in the ABC tank or use the CHF 11S synthetic oil that goes in the power steering?

I have a rebuilt pump coming from Rock auto. It is a Cardone rebuilt. It costs $220.89 plus a $31.50 core charge.

Thanks again, Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chf11s in both ABC and power steering it will only work after pump swap if pressured or hand spun I personally do both just incase

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Thanks for all that info. Did you use Hydraulic oil in the ABC tank or use the CHF 11S synthetic oil that goes in the power steering?

I have a rebuilt pump coming from Rock auto. It is a Cardone rebuilt. It costs $220.89 plus a $31.50 core charge.

Thanks again, Dan
I used CHF11s which is the correct fluid according to Specification 345.0.

I am attaching the filter R&I instruction which references the Specification 345 in instruction 10.

$220 sounds a little light for the pump but really all they do is re-seal it with all new o-rings. You can buy the kit yourself for less than $100 but most people prefer to have someone else do the re-sealing.

Good Luck,

Bob

Attachments

81 - 94 of 94 Posts