Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crack in ABC Tandem Pump Casing

I've had the same problem with my 2003 sl500 ABC pump. It seamed to work fine (go up and down) when cold, but once I turned the car off and restarted the red light "Stop Car Too Low" comes on. But after I wait a while for the car to cool off, the ABC will operate again lifting the car so I can drive it home. Once home I noticed fluid all over the driveway coming from the ABC pump. I investigate where the leak is coming from by removing the pulley only after I had the car running for a bit to get the fluids warm and moving a bit. Once I removed the pulley I noticed a hairline crack in the casing, (Please see photo). I have no idea why and how this could happen where it did. I'm wondering is this a aluminum casing and can this be repaired, i.e (welding soldering, other)? or maybe at worse replace the casing? I would hate to go through the whole new pump replacement thing if I do not need to.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I successfully repaired a major crack in the aluminum oil pan of a 1990 Mercedes SL using J-B Weld.
Awesome, I just bought some earlier today to try it, I mean I have nothing to loose at this point. I will let everyone know how it goes

·
Registered
107 Posts
I successfully repaired a major crack in the aluminum oil pan of a 1990 Mercedes SL using J-B Weld.
As crazy as this may sound to some people it is a very viable alternative to the costly process of removing and replacing or, welding a pan.

I worked in Rally Racing (off road racing) for many years for a factory sponsored team. Even with 1/4" aluminum skid plates we would occasionally get a crack in the oil pan. We did not have time to replace the pan during the event so we would repair with JB weld and never had a failure. We would change the pan after the event but I can't imagine the repair not holding so long as the repair area is thoroughly cleaned.

I once bought a Peugeot 405 MI16 from a guy who went off the road, got stuck and was pissed so he shot the car with his 9mm. Aside from broken glass etc he put a bullet through the intake manifold. Repaired with JB weld and it held for years. The car had 6,000 miles and was only a year old!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome, I just bought some earlier today to try it, I mean I have nothing to loose at this point. I will let everyone know how it goes
Cleanliness is going to be the key. Brake Clean works fantastic.

Good Luck let us know how you make out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Process has been successful so far. getting & keeping this clean was a challenge. As I was trying to sand the area clean fluid was oozing out so I applied a thin coat waited 1/2 hour the JB weld was still sticky and oil was pouring through it so I dabbed it with a rag and applied aluminum tape. Let it dry over night and sanded the area again, applied a 2nd coat of jb weld and 1/2 hour I applied another layer of the aluminum tape and let dry for 5 hours. After that sanded the area and applied the 3rd and final coat over the aluminum tape and let dry overnight. Put some more fluid in the reservoir and started it. The ABC malfunction light turned itself off and I'm good to go for less than $20.00. Saved a lot of money and work. I've included some photos.

Thanks everyone....

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
^ x2, G BOY just take the time to inspect things, chances are you will find the leak quicker than you expected. It may help to turn on the car to build up pressure first, turn it off and then inspect. Psychic may work too...:D
Looked and looked and looked, local mechanic is saying the pump. That's what I suspected anyway. Can I have him install it or does it require MB expertise?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looked and looked and looked, local mechanic is saying the pump. That's what I suspected anyway. Can I have him install it or does it require MB expertise?
dont need mb expertise as such any competent mechanic should be able to change the pump - the question is though does he have sds - as you will need that to run rodeo, codes etc.........

·
Registered
75 Posts
dont need mb expertise as such any competent mechanic should be able to change the pump - the question is though does he have sds - as you will need that to run rodeo, codes etc.........
Doubt it. I will ask him though, Thanks.
Q: Will it be drivable – after the installation– to a nearby local private mini stealer for the rodeo or should I just get it installed there? Don't trust that guy either, tried to charge me 1k for my –close trunk separator– which i fixed myself for $67. But I'll have no choice. Or could I tow it there?

·
Registered
364 Posts
If this mechanic can read instructions, then he can install the pump. Star Diagnosis is not necessary for this procedure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
So I can get the Rodeo done after that, no problem right?
A Rodeo is not part of the procedure. If for some reason you desire to perform one, I agree with the above post and suggest you invest $300 or so in your own Star Diagnosis System. There are countless vendors on alibaba.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have SL500 2004 my ABC pump was leaking and was noisy is well. Found local shop they rebuild my pump now it’s all great. No Noise, no drips of oil in the garage. Definitely save me a lot old money and grief by not going to the dealer. 858 271-6700 is the # for the repair shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a leaky hose It's the one that comes off the pump takes 180 and then seems to dead end and one have a oert number also I'm trying it myself any insight would be great

41 - 60 of 94 Posts