Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mercy-me: Thanks a lot for sharing that!

The new Luk pump came in yesterday evening (see pictures). Given my current lack of access to a proper garage space I decided to suck it up and source the labor part of the job to a local independent mechanic. For $700 I'm having the pump replaced, the system flushed, filter replaced and a rodeo done.

Here is the breakdown of the costs thus far:
$1,060 - Brand New Luk Tandem Pump w/overnight shipping
$239 - 10 liters of Pentasoin fluid @ $23.99/Liter
$60 - OEM 3 micron ABC fluid filter
$700 - Labor to replace pump, flush/replace system fluid/filter and rodeo
$2,059 - Running Total (before tax)

The mechanic has updated me that both the left rear and left front struts are leaking. I'm currently shopping for struts to replace them with (DIY this time!) It seems like a very easy fix. I just need to confirm how to properly bleed the struts once replaced. It will probably take about a week before the struts are changed out. Do you guys think the ABC system will manage until then…? :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I certainly would do it all at once as to not risk a second chance for allowing debris to get into the system. Debris is one of the things that kills these systems in the first place.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mercy-me: Thanks a lot for sharing that!

The new Luk pump came in yesterday evening (see pictures). Given my current lack of access to a proper garage space I decided to suck it up and source the labor part of the job to a local independent mechanic. For $700 I'm having the pump replaced, the system flushed, filter replaced and a rodeo done.

Here is the breakdown of the costs thus far:
$1,060 - Brand New Luk Tandem Pump w/overnight shipping
$239 - 10 liters of Pentasoin fluid @ $23.99/Liter
$60 - OEM 3 micron ABC fluid filter
$700 - Labor to replace pump, flush/replace system fluid/filter and rodeo
$2,059 - Running Total (before tax)

The mechanic has updated me that both the left rear and left front struts are leaking. I'm currently shopping for struts to replace them with (DIY this time!) It seems like a very easy fix. I just need to confirm how to properly bleed the struts once replaced. It will probably take about a week before the struts are changed out. Do you guys think the ABC system will manage until then…? :dunno:

I'll be watching for sure !! My pump goes in next week (takes a bit longer to ship to Canada)

My Indy here in Toronto (that quite a number of Benz folks use) quoted $42 for the filter, $160 for 16L of fluid, $450 labour (5 hours) and $20.00 in misc shop supplies for having the pump replaced, the system flushed, filter replaced and a rodeo done. Total $ 672 but with our dreaded GST tax the total comes to $759

I hope they don't find anything else :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Stclarke: Sorry I fell of the grid and didn't get back to you sooner. Its been a few weeks since the repair/flush and things seem to be running smoothly, no ABC error messages to date! I've attached pictures of the old pump and filter. That filter is suppose to be white, well neon green given the color of the fluid! I still feel like the car should raise up more, but maybe it doesn't because of the strut leaks the mechanic had noted...but I cant say for certain yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Picked up my car today after having the ABC pump replaced. The pump supplied sufficient pressure, but was leaking fluid. I was going to get a rebuilt pump after doing some research and it appears the pumps can be rebuilt back to operating condition. However, I lucked out and found a new pump on Ebay that was being sold by a private person for the same price as a rebuilt. I immediately noticed that the steering was easier and more responsive. so there must have been some pressure loss on the power steering side. Happy to say that "I'm back on the road again" .

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2006 SL500 start giving me the dreaded ABC msg "Visit Workshop" .. so I checked the fluid level and it seems a bit low. I bought a liter of Pentasosin from local MB but my probl now is that I don't know how much to put in... the dipstick seems to have 2 'notches' . I saw on the dip stick the German word MOTOR UN then the 'notch' at the lower end.. the word continue w/ BELADEN then another 'notch' at the upper end. My current fluid level is about 1/2 in below the first notch ..so I decided to fill up to that notch. But the warning light still there. So do I really have a problem somewhere w/this ABC system or I would need to fill up to the 2nd upper notch on the dip stick ? Do appreciate some guidance.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The dipstick has 2 readings Engine On ("Auf") - the lower indentation and Engine Off ("Aus") - the higher indentation.

for Engine off - car has to be left for 5 minutes on level ground at low suspension setting and should be between the top indentation on dipstick.

for Engine on - level should be constant at the lower indentation.

Are you getting white or red warning lights?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks theintelligent1... Right now the msg is in white warning light.. (didn't know if there is Red color as well). But your explanation seems quite logical as when the engine is running, the fluid would be lower due to circulation. So right now I have the fluid level at the lower indentation with engine OFF and the warning light still ON.. let me fill it up closer to the upper notch and give it a try running the engine and see if the warning still there. Will post follow up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Need part number for ABC Pump for 2003 SL500

I need to replace the ABC pump and so need the part number for a 2003 SL500.

Can you please advise?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
479 Posts
I need to replace the ABC pump and so need the part number for a 2003 SL500.

Can you please advise?

Thanks,

Paul
0034665001 is the mercedes part number - you can get them for around $1,100 new - i would not go with a rebuilt pump for a saving of a few hundred bucks.

The Luk/Ixetic sku on my spare pump is 541019010 the one referred to in the merged thread for $1060 is Luk/Ixetic sku: 5410228100

I am merging this thread with another you will see the merged thread for more discussion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So it's been couple weeks and ABC warning light is no longer come on.. I think it was a low fluid level warning... I am quite happy so far that it only took a liter of the Pentosin to make that warning disappear. Anyway, looks like when engine stop and cold and if your ABC fluid level is below the 2nd lower indentation mark on the dip stick, you will need about 1 liter to fill it back up ...

Tonight while driving I briefly see a warning light came on but not sure what that means. The warning light w/ what looks like a Exclamation mark ! Does anyone know what that light is? This light lasted for about 10 mins and I stopped at the gas station.. then after fill up and restarted, it disappeared. I will look into the manual tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's great news but I would be concerned about why the fluid is low in the first place. Hydraulic fluid does not evaporate.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine is leaking fluid underneath the car. Not sure exactly where.
You can call a California psychic. The number is here. It will cost you $10 for 10 minutes.

But I wouldn't do that. Instead I would jack-up the car and place stands or other supports beneath the car for safety. Then I would slide under the car and start looking around. I would remove the under-body paneling to look further as necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You can call a California psychic. The number is here. It will cost you $10 for 10 minutes.

But I wouldn't do that. Instead I would jack-up the car and place stands or other supports beneath the car for safety. Then I would slide under the car and start looking around. I would remove the under-body paneling to look further as necessary.
^ x2, G BOY just take the time to inspect things, chances are you will find the leak quicker than you expected. It may help to turn on the car to build up pressure first, turn it off and then inspect. Psychic may work too...:D

21 - 40 of 94 Posts