·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Mercedes SL500
78k miles
Purchased ~6 months ago
ABC filter and fluid both very dirty upon inspecting

My ABC Drive Carefully notification has been coming off and on since yesterday. The notification has varied between the white and red light. At one point the suspension got bouncy as I tried to drive it back home, however that issue seemed to correct itself and has yet to come back again.

I picked up 6 liters of new fluid and a filter to flush the system the next day and woke up to a pool of fluid under the car this morning (see Photo 1). After some inspection, the leak was pinpointed (see Photo 2 and video). That "clean" sliver of metal surrounded by gunk and grime is where fluid is leaking out from. The same spot is also noted in Photo 3 which was taken after some cleaning of the parts. Once I cleaned up the area, I turned on the car, let it run for a bit, turned it off and more fluid began seeping out (see Photo 4).

The car still seems to lift up and go down, but not in the manner it should and it tends to make noise doing it. I've added fluid to bring the reservoir to the appropriate fill mark in the meantime.

Any thoughts on what to do gentlemen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJWWWW7skU

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
looks like you need a new pump to start with. after you replace a pump everything starts going out due to the new strong pressure from the new pump

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
You do need a new pump, it may need bleeding after you have fitted it and I can give you that info... the pressure will be the same as before as all controlled from valves elsewhere.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Agree with others. New ABC pump is needed. I'm curious as to others opinions on rebuilt vs. new. Pump change is within range of a competent DIY. Given this, may be worth a try with a cheaper rebuilt pump?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was talking to an auto body guy who has always driven MB and was the main auto body guy for a local MB dealership. He's told be Bosch makes the pump and its a lot less expensive for it than the dealer charges...

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was talking to an auto body guy who has always driven MB and was the main auto body guy for a local MB dealership. He's told be Bosch makes the pump and its a lot less expensive for it than the dealer charges...
The ABC pump was originally made by Luk, the company is now called Ixetic but still the same company.

The newer pumps have both company names on them - see pic of a spare pump i have....

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Agree with others. New ABC pump is needed. I'm curious as to others opinions on rebuilt vs. new. Pump change is within range of a competent DIY. Given this, may be worth a try with a cheaper rebuilt pump?
This was discussed here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1833482-another-abc-gremlin.html

I would generally not go with a rebuilt pump for the ABC..........what do they actually mean by rebuilt??

If it is just a seal change then no thanks.........there are a lot of other areas that wear in that pump......

Can get a brand new pump for around $1100 rebuilt are about $700 id rather have the peace of mind for $400.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have an 04 with a new pump going in next week. 003 466 50 01 is the part number. After a months long intensive search I was able to find one for $1060.00. PM me if you wish I can tell you which US parts supplier I got it from.

I'm just hoping after my new pump goes in, I don't blow a hose as has happened to so many others.

-Stephen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You do need a new pump, it may need bleeding after you have fitted it and I can give you that info... the pressure will be the same as before as all controlled from valves elsewhere.
Television, thanks for offering. I would in fact like to see any information you may have about bleeding the ABC pump after it has been installed. Thank you in advance for your time. BTW - your PM box is full.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an 04 with a new pump going in next week. 003 466 50 01 is the part number. After a months long intensive search I was able to find one for $1060.00. PM me if you wish I can tell you which US parts supplier I got it from.

I'm just hoping after my new pump goes in, I don't blow a hose as has happened to so many others.

-Stephen
Stephen, PM sent. Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Television, thanks for offering. I would in fact like to see any information you may have about bleeding the ABC pump after it has been installed. Thank you in advance for your time. BTW - your PM box is full.
I must do something in that PM box :) here is the bleed info

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Television, thanks for sharing those. Having read through the 230_abc_bleed PDF you attached above, I've reach the following steps (in lamans terms):

-evacuate hydraulic fluid from ABC system expansion reservoir
-remove tandem pump
-install new tandem pump
-charge (refill) system with ~4 liters of hydraulic fluid (steps 1-5)
-pressurize tandem pump (step 6.1, see additional attachment below)
-bleed ABC system (steps 7-13)

Does this sound about right gents? Looking at the 230_abc_bleed PDF, I'm a bit confused as to why Mercedes says to charge the system and start the engine in step 3 prior to pressurizing the ABC system manually in step 6.1. Would this not result in air going through the system since you haven't pressurized and bled it yet? Thoughts...?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well gents, thanks to stclarke's help I went ahead and purchased a brand new Luk pump (sku:5410228100) for $1,060, which is scheduled to arrive Thursday.

I also did some due diligence on the ABC system’s high pressure hoses and have decided to replace those as well. I still need to inspect the hoses in more detail, but I do vaguely remember some hoses showing signs of weeping and leakage. It seems as though I can remove the ones that need repair and have them rebuilt at a hydraulic repair shop for relatively cheap.

Since my research so far suggests that the engine needs to be un-mounted and raised in order for one of the high pressure hoses to be replaced, I'll be replacing that specific engine mount at the same time (and the other mount after the ABC repair since both mounts have collapsed).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone happen to have the WIS sheet for removal of the tandem pump? Although I've done enough research to know how to remove it already, I would like to see how Mercedes specifically instructs its technichans to do so.

I thought I'd throw in picture too since I've never posted her on the site. Boy I miss her ;(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Does anyone happen to have the WIS sheet for removal of the tandem pump? Although I've done enough research to know how to remove it already, I would like to see how Mercedes specifically instructs its technichans to do so. ;(
Here you go. Looks like book time is 4.3 Hours for pump only.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 94 Posts