Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The dual gang power steering / hydraulic ABC pump failed on me today. Red light on to "visit workshop, drive carefully". STAR das reports -f- Low pressure on Quick Test. At the time, the suspension was holding OK. I then ran Rodeo to observe the pressure readings, and the reported pressure immediately began to drop from 60 to down to 4 psi. Its not a good idea to run rodeo to measure pressure I discovered since it completely dropped my car and it is now stuck in my garage.

My questions are: Has anyone had success with the rebuilt ABC pumps that run for about $650? or a new one for $1100 instead of a dealership version?

Can anyone please help with instructions on how to replace the pump? I have been told that the fan has to come out to gain access to the pump and that apparently is also a pain.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
178 people read this and no one? lol

·
Registered
2003 S600
78 Posts
My dad's best friend is the head of service at Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan. When he saw my S600 he gave me many pieces of advice. One of them was that when, not if, your ABC pump fails do not get a remanufactured or refurbished one. They are simply not as good as the new ones. They fail faster and can cause more damage to the system. When it comes to anything ABC related he insisted that you "not joke around and half ass it by trying to save some money." Based off of that I would go with the new pump simply because it is better than a remanufactured system and will give you less headaches. But that's just mine and his advice. As to the second part of your question, I have absolutely no idea, I have just heard that it is a pain. Best wishes!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
I don't have anything on replacing the ABC pump - but you can join the Mercedes Star TekInfo system for 1 day at minimal cost and download the diagrams and procedures and other information that you might find necessary. See STAR TekInfo and while there, download whatever other instructions you may want.

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
I always buy OEM parts on safety-related components. ABC pumps fail so pony up and visit your local MB dealer and buy the right part.

The car is not a 75 Chevy Nova.

·
Registered
MB S600, Volvo XC70
169 Posts
The dual gang power steering / hydraulic ABC pump failed on me today.
Thanks
Sorry hearing the news my friend.

For sure, don't rodeo when tandem pump failed, you lose a mark this time, :D. You can check ABC pressure without rodeo.
Plus any raise or lower action will pull down the struts since not enough pressure in the hydraulic system.

So here is a general action list when ABC issue happen, not only for your scenario, (for cars with ABC suspension only):
1) Pull over when in traffic, stop the car asap.
This will save your pump if only a hose broke. The ABC pump keeps running when engine is on. It need hydraulic fluid for lubrication. It is safe to run for only a short time, let say 1 min, not guaranteed, with fluid left to lubricate. For any prolonged period it will die for sure without fluid coming in.
2) Write down the warning msg, check for any fluid leakage and struts level. Then check ABC fluid level.
3) Try not to re-start the car hoping it is fine. Only start the car when you have a solution or have to.
4) If you have no idea about what is happening then have the car towed and checked.
5) If car level is fine, no fluid leakage, ABC fluid level is fine and only get white ABC msg. You can drive to have it checked.
6) If any of the above checking failed there is risk keep driving:
- Car level is not good, one or more corner i too low, there is risk for fender damage and car handles poorly. Definitely drive slowly and avoid uneven road.
- Fluid leaking or ABC fluid level is low. You may lose the pump and pressure due to lack of lubrication.
- Any red ABC msg is bad news and should be treated carefully and immediately.
7) If struts level are all fine and in case you insist driving don't raise or lower the car since you may not be able to raise it anymore.

According to choose pump, for DIY, I would buy a good used pump from a low mileage donor to save some money, idealy.

Not sure about the procedure replacing the pump as I have not been there yet. But do remember pre-pressurize your pump through the tank for the first run after replace. The tandem pump can't suck fluid in by itself at the first time. If you don't force fluid in, the new one will burn immediately.

Good luck Jnash.

Howard

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its unfortunate that you are having issues.
Its not hard to replace, the rebuilt pump will work as well.
Typically the pump failure is a secondary problem. Can you check to see if you have enough fluid in the reservoir? Can you check the filter to see if it is cracked (the white paper comes off and you can see the steel wire mesh inside the filter.)

Can you raise the vehicle and remove rear under cover and see if there are leaks at the control valve and at the struts.

seems like you already have WIS and DAS. You need to order the pump, serpentine belt.

I have done it before and its not complicated, but dont have DIY pictures.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
178 people read this and no one? lol
Well here are a few "basic" guidelines that may help but this is not a job for an novice;

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
few notes from my experience

1. gentle with the belt tensioner, I pulled it way too hard to install the new belt and its bent and had to replace it

2. use the right E socket and make sure the pully on the pump is seated properly

3. If you are doing it on the jacks, wear goggles and cover your dolly (creeper). Because the fluid will leak all over your face

4. Remove hoses first then the pump, The clips are easy to come off, you have to wiggle the hoses, I spent an hour just to take them off. Took the pump first hoping there will be more wiggle room and one of the hose cracked for twisting and bending too much.

(if you haven't done these kind of jobs, it will take 4-6hrs just for the pump removal and install, then few hours for the fillup, rodeo, some more hours to clean the garage)

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone - thank you very much for your help. Stranger things with the system. The day after I posted, I started the car and pressed the up/down on the dash and the suspension popped back to life! Ran the DAS and got a good pressure of 180 bar at idle, (190 bars at 3,000 RPM). I then proceeded to do the Rodeo to stress test the system. Rodeo didn't run smoothly like it has in the past, so something is not right. I also dumped some hydraulic fluid on the floor which happened when I flushed all the fluid over 6 months ago while Rodeoing. Is there a ABC relief valve for over pressure?
I am not sure what caused the low pressure in the first place, other than the car had been idling for a loooong time and very hot while I was chasing mis-fires on cylinders 1,3, and 4 (which ended up being a failed brand new MB 02 sensor of all things). So maybe there is a heat sensor shut-off for the ABC that kicked in. I am still road testing, the suspension feels as good as normal, but the fact that the Rodeo Test is jerky means I have a bad actuator or dirt in the system that I need to figure out.
Once again thanks guys!

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad's best friend is the head of service at Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan. When he saw my S600 he gave me many pieces of advice. One of them was that when, not if, your ABC pump fails do not get a remanufactured or refurbished one. They are simply not as good as the new ones. They fail faster and can cause more damage to the system. When it comes to anything ABC related he insisted that you "not joke around and half ass it by trying to save some money." Based off of that I would go with the new pump simply because it is better than a remanufactured system and will give you less headaches. But that's just mine and his advice. As to the second part of your question, I have absolutely no idea, I have just heard that it is a pain. Best wishes!
Thank you for the information. The brand new or rebuilt pump I was looking at is identical in brand to the OEM one installed. I can see that they are both made by Luk and appear identical in all respects.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
1,582 Posts
Everyone - thank you very much for your help. Stranger things with the system. The day after I posted, I started the car and pressed the up/down on the dash and the suspension popped back to life! Ran the DAS and got a good pressure of 180 bar at idle, (190 bars at 3,000 RPM). I then proceeded to do the Rodeo to stress test the system. Rodeo didn't run smoothly like it has in the past, so something is not right. I also dumped some hydraulic fluid on the floor which happened when I flushed all the fluid over 6 months ago while Rodeoing. Is there a ABC relief valve for over pressure?
I am not sure what caused the low pressure in the first place, other than the car had been idling for a loooong time and very hot while I was chasing mis-fires on cylinders 1,3, and 4 (which ended up being a failed brand new MB 02 sensor of all things). So maybe there is a heat sensor shut-off for the ABC that kicked in. I am still road testing, the suspension feels as good as normal, but the fact that the Rodeo Test is jerky means I have a bad actuator or dirt in the system that I need to figure out.
Once again thanks guys!
I know this is an old topic
When you did the flush were you adding the new fluid via the dipstick opening or through the top of the oil filter? Just wondering were the filling is actually being done. I like the idea of the magnet in the tank

I have seen the post on the CL section http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215-cl-class/1970337-abc-oil-flush-diy-job-yes.html

An many others Ongoing Maintenance and Repair for a 2003 S600. - Page 3 - MBWorld.org Forums #74

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I know this is an old topic
When you did the flush were you adding the new fluid via the dipstick opening or through the top of the oil filter? Just wondering were the filling is actually being done. I like the idea of the magnet in the tank

I have seen the post on the CL section http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215-cl-class/1970337-abc-oil-flush-diy-job-yes.html

An many others Ongoing Maintenance and Repair for a 2003 S600. - Page 3 - MBWorld.org Forums #74
Remove the oil filter and pour straight in, new fluid does not need filtering.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Remove the oil filter and pour straight in, new fluid does not need filtering.
Thanks Eric as always
I picked up a 2003 S55 and just want to start fresh.
I have another issue that I need to sort is the power trunk not working
The PO killed the battery so they used the key to open the trunk and just lifted against the hydraulics so now the right corner is raised. The buttons light up and I hear a relay click behind the side panel(which I need to figure out how to get off)
They put a cheapie battery in and I am so hesitant to change as I do not want all the malfunction Pre Safe SRS and so on

·
Registered
2003 S500
76 Posts
SChalmers, have you checked the fluid reservoir for the trunk. It sits in the same area as the battery and is covered with a foam type material. Check that to make sure you have fluid. If no fluid you can use Pentosin CHF11 to refill (same as you use for your ABC system) to refill.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
SChalmers, have you checked the fluid reservoir for the trunk. It sits in the same area as the battery and is covered with a foam type material. Check that to make sure you have fluid. If no fluid you can use Pentosin CHF11 to refill (same as you use for your ABC system) to refill.
So I removed the side panel to see if anything was off. I noticed how easy it is to disconnect the power to the pump. The pump had all kinds of fluid.
Figured I would put direct power to the pump and see if any thing happens.
Nothing at all. With the ground to the body of the motor tried power to the connections nothing

So I figured 3 zip ties and two bolts the motor can come away from the pump.
Motor would not turn at all. So figure I would use a small wrench it was stuck.
Gave it a bit of pressure it freed up. The bearing at the brush end is toast moves a good 1/8 of an inch. When I removed the black cover from the top of the motor it smelt burnt.
Guess I need a new pump. I might see about just finding the motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts