Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a leak from the pump on my 2003 s600. ABC reservoir empty, fluid leaking from bottom of pump and caused my front end to drop to 3 inches of the ground--scrapes on dips in the road--wow. Dealer wants $912 for the pump, looks easy to replace. I was wondering if there is a sealant you can add to fluid to seal the leak w/o buying a new pump. Anyone know? Power steering is still ok, does that mean that the ABC pump is still ok? Anyone? Streetglower?

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
make sure it isnt the ABC line that is leaking. the line that connects to the ABC pump on the S600 goes over the tranny and is known to leak. I dont know of any sealant to keep the pump from leaking. Also the pump looks easy to change but is kind of tricky. easily done if engine is out of the car. the dealer wont charge you that but if they do see that line leaking, the easiest way to do that line is with the engine removed.

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is definitely the pump, it is leaking from the spindle that goes around the front of the pump that is connected to the pulley, it drips pretty fast, epecially when radiator fan is going and after shutting off engine. it shoots fluid off of the spindle as it spins. How do you pressurize the abc, I read your comment in another thread that you hook up an air pressure chuck to pressurize abc, but to what fitting? I guess I need a new pump and maybe front valve block from what dealer said b4 the leak. I need to raise the front end, still almost raking the ground in the front--3 inch off ground.

·
Registered
1996 SL320, 2001 S600
27 Posts
I might have a abc pump available from a 2001 S600.. I swaped out a pump thinking it would solve a low groaning noise radiating through the cabin. Well it did not fix the groaning noise so I think this one is still good. I am not sure if this might help you. let me know if it might work for you..

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
2003 s600 said:
It is definitely the pump, it is leaking from the spindle that goes around the front of the pump that is connected to the pulley, it drips pretty fast, epecially when radiator fan is going and after shutting off engine. it shoots fluid off of the spindle as it spins. How do you pressurize the abc, I read your comment in another thread that you hook up an air pressure chuck to pressurize abc, but to what fitting? I guess I need a new pump and maybe front valve block from what dealer said b4 the leak. I need to raise the front end, still almost raking the ground in the front--3 inch off ground.
to pressurize the pump, you just stick an air hose in the resovoir, cover with a rag to make sure you dont get wet with fluid. but you need a DAS if replacing the pump to see when the pump starts producing pressure.

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it the same as in the 2003 s600? If so, I can use it. Thanks, let me know.

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Streetglower, will a 2001 s600 abc pump fit a 2003 s600? Also, where on the reservoir do you hook up the air hose for pressurizing--dip stick cover, filter cover,etc.?

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<swestbury>, what is the part # for your 2001 s600 abc pump? If it is the same as mine it will work for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
2003 s600 said:
Streetglower, will a 2001 s600 abc pump fit a 2003 s600? Also, where on the reservoir do you hook up the air hose for pressurizing--dip stick cover, filter cover,etc.?
i dont see why it wouldnt be the same, but call to make sure. anyway stick the air hose in the dipstick cover hole.

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i started to remove the abc pump, started with pulley and found the leak, it is a longitudinal slit on the top of the black part of the pump under where that pulley extends onto the pump. I welded the slit to seal the leak, if it is leaking from there is the pump still ok inside--internals? or do i have to replace the pump. also, how do u check if the front valve block is bad? my car is still resting on the front tires and botton lip is 3in off ground.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My car is at the dealer for right front valve of abc to be replaced but they found a repair kit for it total $525, i now need something with the rear axel for a roaring sound they said it is the rear axel $900.

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i started to remove the abc pump, started with pulley and found the leak, it is a longitudinal slit on the top of the black part of the pump under where that pulley extends onto the pump. I welded the slit to seal the leak, if it is leaking from there is the pump still ok inside--internals? or do i have to replace the pump. also, how do u check if the front valve block is bad? my car is still resting on the front tires and botton lip is 3in off ground.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
if there is a cut in the pump, then the internals would still be ok. but if it leaks again you will need to replace it. I cant say whether doing what you did will help, havent been in that situation

as far as the valve block, get the pump running again and fill it to proper level and adjust the height and clear the codes. then retest the system.

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do you clear the codes? If i get pump working will my car raise up again if valve block is bad? which is the valve block? On drivers side behind bumper/headlight, there is a large silver color rectangular block with 5 or 6 lines going to it and there is a smaller block with 2 or 3 lines going to it. Can i test if it is bad somehow myself?

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i put everything back together and the pump is leaking again maybe same place. What is weird is the car raised up almost imediately after starting at all wheels. abc was working again. Then abc warning light came on and both rear sides dropped, the fenders are touching the tires and i get message ABC, stop, car too low. Why would the front stay up in the air and rear is dropped?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
ABC faults can cause the car to do odd things. you are going to have to replace the pump and then clear all the faults somehow.

now to answer your question above, the valve block has about 5 or so lines going to it and 3 electrical connections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem on my SL 500 (R230) last week. It was nothing wrong with the pump. It was just a rubber o-ring seal in the banjo-bolt under the pump which was leaking. This banjo-bolt connects the pump with a hydraulic silencer under the pump. Seems like there could be some tension in the connection between the pump and silencer, causing the oil leak. I just changed the o-rings (3 Euro) and adjusted the upper mount for the silencer, and the leak disappeared. Hope this will work for you as well. KjellH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts