Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ABC problem, help out a dumb girl will ya :)

Hi Guys, I am new here and have a question. I would like to have an idea before I speak to the shop.

I have a SL550. I got new wheels and tires and had it lowered. Not long after I took it in because of a strange whining noise. They changed some bearings and a belt and I drove away and had the same noise. Not happy I returned to the shop and it was decided the problem was the power steering pump. It was not leaking and was still working so we began with a flush, which did not work and then with a filter change which also did not work. From there we went to purchasing a rebuild kit. The pump was rebuilt and I drove away with the same noise.

Needless to say not happy again and before I got home I lost all power steering for a few minutes, it then came back and the noise was gone and then I lost all ABC and had a warning to stop the car. By the time I got home there was a burning smell and smoke coming from under the hood.

My question is...Is the ABC some how connected to the power steering pump or could this be a new problem related to improper lowering of the car?

I welcome any feedback and thanks in advance,

Ms B

·
Registered
4 Posts
My MB service advisor told me last week that the SL's ABC pump ($4000 here in Toronto) is and the power steering pump are one-in-the-same. As a space-saving measure for the SL these pumps were engineered as one unit - hence the outrageous price. Yes, today my advisor told me I need a new pump, only a day after replacing a $1500 sensor and a week after replacing both rear struts for $5500.

'Best of luck.

T.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
^Correct and the ABC/Steering pump is called a tandem pump for obvious reasons, they do fail and this is common on all models using them. They should NEVER be rebuilt, this achieves nothing.

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Power Steering pump

My MB service advisor told me last week that the SL's ABC pump ($4000 here in Toronto) is and the power steering pump are one-in-the-same. As a space-saving measure for the SL these pumps were engineered as one unit - hence the outrageous price. Yes, today my advisor told me I need a new pump, only a day after replacing a $1500 sensor and a week after replacing both rear struts for $5500.

'Best of luck.

T.
I am in Ottawa and I am sorry you are getting ripped off. A Power Steering pump from Mercedes is $2000 dollars for the SL550. They are the same pump. My guys got the pump from Mercedes for $2000 dollars. Mercedes are taking you for a ride. I had mine rebuilt for $300 dollars and a couple of hundred for labor.

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Correct and the ABC/Steering pump is called a tandem pump for obvious reasons, they do fail and this is common on all models using them. They should NEVER be rebuilt, this achieves nothing.
Sorry Eric, but it the rebuild worked for me:)

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it back and they fixed the rebuild at no cost to me. I am happy now and no more noise :)

·
52,804 Posts
^I am happy to hear that, but do not be too surprised if you have further problems with the ABC, it is a problematic system and has been since it was taken from the formula one side.

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^I am happy to hear that, but do not be too surprised if you have further problems with the ABC, it is a problematic system and has been since it was taken from the formula one side.
They also replaced the ABC hose for me at no cost since the rebuild caused the ABC problem

·
52,804 Posts
The ABC hose is a defect on these and should be changed free of charge if done by a dealer.

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ABC hose is a defect on these and should be changed free of charge if done by a dealer.
lol, I stay away from the dealer because as our poster said everything is double the cost of what it actually is. I have more than 80,000 Km so no more warranty. I don't mind paying but I do mind getting gouged! The hose was $500 dollars but not my $500 dollars. I guess my garage folks should shake down Mercedes :) lol as if.....but maybe :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rebuilt ABC/pwr steering pump

I am in Ottawa and I am sorry you are getting ripped off. A Power Steering pump from Mercedes is $2000 dollars for the SL550. They are the same pump. My guys got the pump from Mercedes for $2000 dollars. Mercedes are taking you for a ride. I had mine rebuilt for $300 dollars and a couple of hundred for labor.

So, two things ...

1. Does MB actually charge far more for a part under one part number (i.e., ABC pump) and a different price for the Exactly the same part (i.e., power steering pump) using purely a different part number??

2. Is there really any good reason not to proceed with a rebuilt pump? After all, the auto industry has done so forever with alternators, A/C pumps, power steering pumps, and so on. ?

Would you be so kind as to refer me to the vendor of your rebuilt pump in Ottawa? I think I should at least speak with such a vendor before proceeding to give MB $4000 ++ for a new pump.

With thanks in advance.

Ted

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, two things ...

1. Does MB actually charge far more for a part under one part number (i.e., ABC pump) and a different price for the Exactly the same part (i.e., power steering pump) using purely a different part number??

2. Is there really any good reason not to proceed with a rebuilt pump? After all, the auto industry has done so forever with alternators, A/C pumps, power steering pumps, and so on. ?

Would you be so kind as to refer me to the vendor of your rebuilt pump in Ottawa? I think I should at least speak with such a vendor before proceeding to give MB $4000 ++ for a new pump.

With thanks in advance.

Ted
Ted, why do thy say you need to replace it. What are your symptoms?

·
Registered
2003 SL500
41 Posts
ABC Pump Info

I don't know that you are aware that if you buy ABC pump from MB for 2k you are getting no warranty on it. So if your pump goes bad after week or month you are SOL. On the other hand Steering Rack and Steering Box at Wholesale Prices from Car Steering sells rebuilt pumps for like 680$(USD) (200$ core fee) and they have them in stock. They are located in CA and they offer 1 year warranty on it. I think that this is the only company that does that. I don't know if they rebuild them in CA but mine came in Next day, looked like a brand new pump, and it had a German sticker on it. (maybe it was rebuilt in Germany)

That tells me one thing:
MB - No warranty on the pump (you are replacing shitty pump with another shitty pump)
rebuilt - With 12 months warranty (you are replacing shitty pump with shitty pump that was possibly rebuilt to a higher specs than factory, and that's why they offer warranty?)

I took the chance and got the pump from carsteering.com. I Figure after all if the pump fails within a year I can get a another pump from these guys and still have enough money left over to pay my mechanic for the 2nd replacement.

Mine is being installed today...
I was reading so many horror stories on this forum about ABC system in general that i decided to buy the product from a company that stands behind it.

That's my piece of mind about New vs Rebuilt.

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know that you are aware that if you buy ABC pump from MB for 2k you are getting no warranty on it. So if your pump goes bad after week or month you are SOL. On the other hand Steering Rack and Steering Box at Wholesale Prices from Car Steering sells rebuilt pumps for like 680$(USD) (200$ core fee) and they have them in stock. They are located in CA and they offer 1 year warranty on it. I think that this is the only company that does that. I don't know if they rebuild them in CA but mine came in Next day, looked like a brand new pump, and it had a German sticker on it. (maybe it was rebuilt in Germany)

That tells me one thing:
MB - No warranty on the pump (you are replacing shitty pump with another shitty pump)
rebuilt - With 12 months warranty (you are replacing shitty pump with shitty pump that was possibly rebuilt to a higher specs than factory, and that's why they offer warranty?)

I took the chance and got the pump from carsteering.com. I Figure after all if the pump fails within a year I can get a another pump from these guys and still have enough money left over to pay my mechanic for the 2nd replacement.

Mine is being installed today...
I was reading so many horror stories on this forum about ABC system in general that i decided to buy the product from a company that stands behind it.

That's my piece of mind about New vs Rebuilt.
I agree with Sebastian and I think I would have gone that way vs the rebuild just because of the problems I had with the rebuild. Glad they got sorted but not without pain on both my side and my garage's side :) Plus I spent an awful lot of time without my baby while they messed with getting it fixed (priceless)! and Sebastian, I found those pumps could be purchased for $300.00 and $50 core Auto Parts ? Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Volkswagen Parts at theautopartsshop.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Symptoms include intermittent ABC system shut down between starts, floaty ride when red ABC dash lights come on, and that's about it. The car has never sunk or become un-drivable over short distances.

What boggles me is that multiple components are said to have failed and done so all in rapid succession (2 rear struts two weeks ago, a pressure sensor last week, then when the car was released to me on Monday with the new sensor, the red lights came on again when pulling into the driveway! ... where now MB had diagnosed the main pump as needing replacement.

MB has no explanation for either the cause or the rapid succession of parts-failure, so what's to say the the main computer doesn't fail after they replace the pump, or that replacement of struts, sensor and fluid hasn't contaminated or caused damage to the pump?

Can you please recommend your pump vendor to me?

·
52,804 Posts
Symptoms include intermittent ABC system shut down between starts, floaty ride when red ABC dash lights come on, and that's about it. The car has never sunk or become un-drivable over short distances.

What boggles me is that multiple components are said to have failed and done so all in rapid succession (2 rear struts two weeks ago, a pressure sensor last week, then when the car was released to me on Monday with the new sensor, the red lights came on again when pulling into the driveway! ... where now MB had diagnosed the main pump as needing replacement.

MB has no explanation for either the cause or the rapid succession of parts-failure, so what's to say the the main computer doesn't fail after they replace the pump, or that replacement of struts, sensor and fluid hasn't contaminated or caused damage to the pump?

A few years back and at a customers request I changed almost the entire system on a W220 and two days later the computer packed up:eek:

·
Registered
2007 SL550
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Call Robson Racing ask to speak to Rob. Tell him I told you to call him. I am Brenda :) I spoke to him about your issues and he said he would be happy to speak to you about it and to fix you up with reliable service in Toronto. (613) 798-8163

1 - 18 of 18 Posts