Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the ABC pump on my '02 CL600. Replaced one of the frame dampers. Replaced the fluid with the updated filters. All done by my Indy Shop.
My Alternator decided to quit working so it got replaced in between.

The car decided today to suddenly "drop" after she runs a few minutes. ABC lights come on and the whole car drops?
When I restart the car comes up right away and will go all the way up. Than idles for a minute and drops on all four?!

She comes right up again after restart. Fluid is topped of. All systems look good, no leaking that I can see.

What is going on?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Since the pump was just replaced, it sounds like you may have air in the system. The way to bleed it is to press the vehicle level control button (on the dash) repeatedly, raising and lowering the car to the 3 positions. This may take 10 times or more to bleed all the air out. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If the air is in the pump wouldn't it be risky to damage the pump?

If it goes down on all 4 corners it is probably a complete pressure drop from the heart of the system, which is the pump. What could be causing this I have no idea, the air in the system seems probable.

Do you know if they did a "rodeo" after installing the pump, this procedure should be done after servicing the ABC to get the air out of the system and verify that it is 100% functional.

I would contact your indi for advice, at least he will not be able to blame you for doing something wrong and charge for more repairs.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Do not drive the car and phone them on this one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car ran fine for 8-9 hours to NM and back. She did start acting up with "codes" like ESP/ABS that would disappear again. Now this ABC light which sometimes causes the car to drop instantly on all four or, like right now, stays up at highest level with the ABC light Red?! What is going on...? May it simply being the computer "thinking" there is an issue?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the ump is the issue. She comes right up when I try the up and down fix. Sometimes 5-6 times and than she'll go Red/ABC and than she'll drop on all four or stays up?
It is not the Valve Block I think or only one side would drop, not all four at the same time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It is not the Valve Block I think or only one side would drop, not all four at the same time.
This is correct

You might have electrical issues if you have all those warnings, you need to get the codes pulled...

Did your car get water inside, They are a lot of stories here about the famous front drain clogged and water in the relay box under the right rear seat after heavy rain. This causes mayhem in all the systems.

Anyways, get it checked by a good indy with the right equipment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is correct

You might have electrical issues if you have all those warnings, you need to get the codes pulled...

Did your car get water inside, They are a lot of stories here about the famous front drain clogged and water in the relay box under the right rear seat after heavy rain. This causes mayhem in all the systems.

Anyways, get it checked by a good indy with the right equipment.
My Indy pulled all the codes just a week ago. Not open until Monday. Good shop. Last one was not.
No water issues here. I am in Denver, Colorado. 70 today and not enough water...!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Been there

Sounds like your mechanic didn't do the RODEO on the car which removes ALL the air in the system. It will damage your struts, if not the pump and maybe blow out the valve in the blocks both front and back. Make sure the system was bleed on the RODEO or you will have trouble that is for sure. One other thing was I had to replace both front and rear blocks within days of each other. They drop front or rear not side to side. If your mechanic did the flush, he might have to back flush the system to remove any of the trash that is in the system which will cause this problem. I read if I had back flushed the system, I might not have had to replace the blocks. Now that I have the new blocks updated blocks and a new filter and new fluid the car is fine. My car when I had a bad transmission computer gave me all the codes you are describing and would come and go the faster I drove the car. Once the valve was replaced the warnings finally went away. If you don't see ANY leaks at any of the four struts you have air in the system or some small deb re in the system. Back flushing might be your answer but make sure they did the RODEO, if not there is your problem in a nut shell. Also during all the malfuntions I had a bad ALT as well. It all seems to take a shit at once I was overwhelmed at the problems

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a "soft reset" by disconnecting the battery. After which other codes came up for a little bit. Including the ABC light. I started to drive the car. Every time I shut of and start the car the ABC light took longer to come up.

All codes are gone right now including the ABC light!!!

When lifting the car up one or two clicks the car never came down. Just drove high. Than set her at normal hight and left here there. Codes have not re-appeared. I am on pins and needles which should not be the case.

I appears you were right "slonar21" that it was simply electrical.
Why it started I don't know. This is very annoying for owning a car of this caliber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts