Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yea I know how they function I just never heard of one rupturing the way yours did. I bet that got your attention. I wonder if the heat from exhaust was a factor, did you determine if it was a OEM unit or aftermarket ,maybe a quality control issue. Not like there are any brand markings on them anyway maybe a sticker if we are lucky.

·
W220 Moderator
5,658 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I get a few in that have just gone pop due to Rust, and the Exhaust Heat, as they are right above the RHS Back Exhaust Pipe, so the Water and constant hot /cold extremes seem to make 'em rot more than the others :wink

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
So what happened? The accumulator itself ruptured? Like grenades? Is that a common occurrence or were you the lucky one. Was it OEM or aftermarket. I'm getting ready to replace mine ,they are currently good but I want to catch them before they fail. The corteco brand from fcp euro are my solution. I wonder what's causing these hose failures, both my 55's have all original hoses one has 130k and other is 170k miles.
Yep, like a grenade. Also bent the line coming into the accumulator. Apparently this can happen; I seem to recall reading of a few others grenading like that. It looks like it was the OEM accumulator, and probably the original factory one. I had just bought the car. This was my introduction to the ABC suspension. Lovely, eh? :surrender:

My mechanic buddy, on the other hand, is probably going to keep his ABC system and just go ahead and maintain it. He knows some guys at hydraulic shops who can help him out with making high-pressure hydraulic lines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I finally got around to the ABC maintenence/repair on my wife's s55 I'm replacing the two main accumulators ,replacing rear valve block with a used one due to bad solenoid and having hose made at hydraulic shop ( the one for right front strut that runs across front subframe) so first problem is can't get coupler to budge ,no big deal unless I were replacing hose with new one or replacing strut I went ahead and cut the crimp off the hose to save as much of the hardline as possible for the compression fitting to attach to and much to my surprise and disappointment the factory hose isn't even steel braid reinforced looks like a single fiber braid reinforcement design, really! on a 3000 psi system. The hose I'm having made is double steel braided with twice the pressure rating and im pretty sure it existed in 2005 when this car was made and it's not that expensive so what's your excuse Mercedes Benz. These cars are awesome but crap like this creates doubt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well here's an update , rebuilt my abc line today and it turned out nice ,only 8 or 9 left to do i took alot of photos of the process and I am going to try to upload them here and write up the procedure i used so others here can consider this solution

·
W220 Moderator
5,658 Posts
Hi please do, glad to hear this is working out and a more than viable alternative to MB Hoses which don't seem to be all that good after a period of years ;)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts