Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive my car over speed bumps or big pot holes, the ABC Drive carefully red light flashes for a couple of seconds then goes off. Is this normal? its a 2003 sl500

·
Registered
2003 SL500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reservoir is full, I can drive over pot holes and it wont happen most of the time. But when I drive over a speed bump or a slope dip in the road it will. Light comes on for 3 seconds then cuts off. And it does not show as a malfunction. Also happens if I corner fast on the Hwy. Its been doing this for 4 months ever since I had the front ABC valve block changed, I thought it was because i had a leak in the rear strut, but I just replaced that 2 days ago, and it still does it???

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Sounds like there is some air in the system. Did they bleed the system and do the "Rodeo" when they repaired it ? I have 2 ABC cars. I have seen the Red Warning light come on in my CL500 when its parked at an EXTREME angle. But otherwise never on bumps.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mechanic says it could be the Acceleration sensor? because the car goes up and down when in park while started? what do you think? Yes he did rodeo the car.

·
Registered
2002 S55 2004SL55
5 Posts
When I drive my car over speed bumps or big pot holes, the ABC Drive carefully red light flashes for a couple of seconds then goes off. Is this normal? its a 2003 sl500
I also got this problem on my sl55 04. I took it to mechanic who said need to change pump damper and flash the system + rodeo tests.
I will wait a little and do some mo resarch

·
Registered
2002 S55 2004SL55
5 Posts
The mechanic says it could be the Acceleration sensor? because the car goes up and down when in park while started? what do you think? Yes he did rodeo the car.

if the acceleration sensor is in gas pedal, it is not. I changed my gas pedal due to some other problem I had (car would lose power til a restart) but still have ABC flashing red sometimes for few secs.

·
Registered
2003 CL600
455 Posts
if the acceleration sensor is in gas pedal, it is not. I changed my gas pedal due to some other problem I had (car would lose power til a restart) but still have ABC flashing red sometimes for few secs.
Not the accelerator pedal, they are 3 or 4 accelerometers for the ABC system that is probably what he was talking about, normally a good benz mechanic will know alot by just pulling out the codes (plug the car via the star diag system) You need a good Benz indie or go to the stealer.

I personally don't think it is an accelerometer, usually a bad accelerometer unit causes the car to go up and down erratically and randomly, you probably have a pressure problem so it could be the ABC pump or one of the accumulators IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey
sorry for my words. but all replies are just bullshit, especially ur mechanic, I wont trust a mechanic such him to fix my nephew's scooter.

I have the same issue but it happened only when I drive over a slop or hole on high speed. 1st, u have to identify exactly is the abc red light flash after the front wheels hit the speed hump, or after the rear wheels hit the speed hump?

if its the front, so the front abc oil distributor (I dunno exactly what u call it, but its function is to distribute hydraulic oil to front wheels) is weak & dying

if its the rear, so its the rear one

btw, abc pump (the one on engine side) can cause these issues

if u want my advice, just leave it until it get worse, no need to spend the money now. use the pump in question until the last breath. cheers

·
Registered
2006 SL65 AMG, 2003 S55 AMG, 2003 S600, 1979 450SLC (and many other 107's)
299 Posts
Abc pump. He probably didn't use MB ABC fluid after he changed the front valve block. A dynamic test would tell you for sure...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
sl 55 2004
25 Posts
Not the accelerator pedal, they are 3 or 4 accelerometers for the ABC system that is probably what he was talking about, normally a good benz mechanic will know alot by just pulling out the codes (plug the car via the star diag system) You need a good Benz indie or go to the stealer.

I personally don't think it is an accelerometer, usually a bad accelerometer unit causes the car to go up and down erratically and randomly, you probably have a pressure problem so it could be the ABC pump or one of the accumulators IMO.
So that could be my problem(accelerometer)when Im at a red light for a few seconds sometimes the car goes up and down if i let the brake pedal!!is it an expensive repair??thanks verry much for the info!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I havethe same problem with our 2003 SL500. took it to the shop following a complete ABC pump and line replacement. Shop indicated it is the REAR accelerometer sensor. it's a $250 repair for a $85 part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts