Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SLC300 : 2015 GLA250 4Matic : Sold 2005 SL500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2005 SL has only 54500 KMs (33860 Miles), never had any problem with this car.
Last Tuesday for the first time I had the ABC fluid (10 Liters) flushed and the filter changed, also rodeo test, performed by MB dealer, it cost me $788.06.

Now I have a problem:
After 24 hours the left side of the body is sagging and the warning message is displayed "Car is too low stop the car" After I reversed the Car raised to normal height.
I am wondering if the dealer did something wrong with the ABC system? Shall I be concerned with this situation and return the vehicle to the dealer?
Or will it go away by itself after a while?
I checked there is no fluid leak what so ever.

Your feedback and opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 SL 500, mileage 85K
194 Posts
This appears to be a valve block issue. It's possible that some debris lodged in the valve black causing a leak in the ABC system. I would try warming up the fluid by driving for a while and then lower and raise the car fifteen times. This may flush the debris and hopefully the filter will prevent the debris from reentering the system. It doesn't take much to hang up the valve block. Low mileage vehicles can be subject to a variety of problems due to low usage. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2003 SL55 AMG, 1994 Porsche 928 GTS, 2007 Audi A8, 1990 MB 560 SEC
340 Posts
If I were going to do the raise/lower 15 times, I'd do it while driving after the fluid is good and warm, and do it with an engine RPM in the range of 3K+. Higher RPM's 'might' give faster fluid flow to flush through the valve blocks and the struts. Might help, might not. The dealer should 'get it right' for you.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
If I were going to do the raise/lower 15 times, I'd do it while driving after the fluid is good and warm, and do it with an engine RPM in the range of 3K+. Higher RPM's 'might' give faster fluid flow to flush through the valve blocks and the struts. Might help, might not. The dealer should 'get it right' for you.
There is a pressure limiting check valve in the system, idle speed is capable of generating the 180 bar needed by the system to operate, so there is not difference in engine speed, unless the pump is damaged.

I dont think the issue will be covered by the dealer, specially if you requested the service, and they did not suggest it to you.

The cause is open for debate, and the argument can go either way, but either the flush job dislodged some gunk somewhere in the system, and made it stick in the valve(s), or they did a very dirty job, and they introduced derbies at the tank filler...

Considering the cost of the repair, I would think the shop introduced the specs of dirt needed to cause the symptoms...

Good luck...

·
10,293 Posts
it warms the fluid and distributes it thru out the system
The rodeo circulates the fluid through the open plungers of valves, at high pressure, with the hope that sludge and gunk would get disloged, and moved with the flowing fluid, then picked by the filter at the end of the return line.

Granted, if the oring seal is physically damaged, no matter how much you rodeo it, it will not fix the issue...

Even is gunk is caked enough to withstand the 180Bar fluid pressure, then rodeo will not be sufficient, and you need to replace or clean the valve block.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes , I wish I didn't ask the dealer to flush the ABC fluid, it was fine before.
I did it because after reading this forum many recommended that you should flush it to prevent big problem. I should have left it alone, according to the MB service advisor there is no maintenance required for ABC system.

Thank you for all your posting, I did try everything that you suggested the car still sagging within less than 24 hours.
I already call the dealer and they will recheck the car within a week or so. I hope I will not get hit with a big expenses.

·
10,293 Posts
The problem will occur eventually, due to gunk... the flush made it happen sooner... because fluid was already dirty

In theory, you need keep the fluid clear to avoid internal plugers leaking. The latter is practically near impossible economically, thus many dealers will refuse the flush service, because in many cases the fluid has turned into jello already, and symptoms after flushing will open the door to questioning responsibility, "did I break it? did you break it?"

Think of it like blood clot in the system, that you dont want it to overwork the body, and move it to the brain, with the difference that if it does, you can beat the heart at extra pressure, and return it to the filter... doesnt always work, but worth trying...

Assuming the problem is not cause by something physically falling in the tank and floating in fluid, shearing an oring... There is a very good chance a rodeo round or two will resolve the issue...

·
Registered
2011 E 350 4matic
239 Posts
I posted a while back that I wasn't going to do the fluid change because of exactly what happened to you and people jumped all over me. Now, your 800.00 down for a repair that most likely will have to be done again when they fix whatever else is wrong.

I'm really sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
SL500R, 500SL, C230, 560SL, 560SEL, 450SL, 450SLC, 300CD.
146 Posts
I posted a while back that I wasn't going to do the fluid change because of exactly what happened to you and people jumped all over me. Now, your 800.00 down for a repair that most likely will have to be done again when they fix whatever else is wrong.

I'm really sorry this happened to you.
Ditto......
Cheers.

·
10,293 Posts
if it makes you feel better guys, I did all spheres in my car last week, and introduced the sagging after flush...

You cant say the flush caused the problem, instead, not changing the fluid and filter caused the sludge to accumulate...

when does the sagging start to materialize is a secondary product of dirty fluid...

What I am trying to say is: do not walk away from this post with the conclusion that flush is bad.. and WILL cause sagging...

No... DIRTY FLUID is what causes sagging... the effect of sagging can either meterialize over time, or when you extract the fluid out and replace it with new fluid...

·
Registered
2011 E 350 4matic
239 Posts
if it makes you feel better guys, I did all spheres in my car last week, and introduced the sagging after flush...

You cant say the flush caused the problem, instead, not changing the fluid and filter caused the sludge to accumulate...

when does the sagging start to materialize is a secondary product of dirty fluid...

What I am trying to say is: do not walk away from this post with the conclusion that flush is bad.. and WILL cause sagging...

No... DIRTY FLUID is what causes sagging... the effect of sagging can either meterialize over time, or when you extract the fluid out and replace it with new fluid...
Changing the Fluid is good from the standpoint that clean is better than dirty. Changing the fluid can cause a problem that might not have happened had you not touched it. Is it worth the risk? I say no. Mercedes says no.

There are people on here that have helped me a lot. They could be wrong on this one thing, maybe not?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If no problem, shouldn't touch it?

Changing the Fluid is good from the standpoint that clean is better than dirty. Changing the fluid can cause a problem that might not have happened had you not touched it. Is it worth the risk? I say no. Mercedes says no.

There are people on here that have helped me a lot. They could be wrong on this one thing, maybe not?
Agreed.......I wish I have not done it, my car was a perfect car since I bought it from MB dealer in 2007 with only 8000 miles, now I have to deal with this ABC problem and it could be a very expensive mistake.

·
10,293 Posts

Mercedes does not say no, the private dealer you went to does... because they dont want the liability... same idiocy we heard in the mid 90s about 722.6 trannies being sealed for life...

Mercedes does warrant the flushing as a regular maintenance.

Dirty fluid has metal shavings that gunk up the valve... if you flush and the car starts sagging, then you've waited too long... but that does not mean the valves would have ran forever if you didn't flush, it's that simple...

None the less, the valves are getting old at this point, with many being 10+ years old, its a possibly the repeated opening and closing of the rodeo is what broke them, not the fluid...

Truth of the matter is, the car is aging, and its time to clean the valves :p

·
10,293 Posts
since I bought it from MB dealer in 2007 with only 8000 miles
WAIT... WHAT???

You had 8 years old fluid in there and you wonder why you're having problems when you pumped it around the system???

The Pentosin can is not suppose to last on the shelf for more than 5 years (it has an exp date), and that's in a sealed container... not an active system exposed to elements...

·
Registered
2003 SL 500
10 Posts
As for as I know, my 2003 SL has never been changed. That is 12 years. I have had a Dealer and two independent shops tell me not to mess with it, because it will just start problems. I know there are different opinions on this subject. I am not saying they are right, but I am choosing to leave mine alone. I have a friend with a 2004 and has never flushed his. It has 104,000, with no ABC problems, maybe he is just lucky.

·
Registered
2005 SL65
151 Posts
I flushed my ten year old fluid with no problems at all. In fact before the fluid flush the car would sag a little after a couple of days. After flush it takes a couple of weeks to sag 1/2 inch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts