Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed and debated in many forums, especially the R230 forum because every one of them has it! What makes this somewhat unique is that the W221 with ABC has a completely different reservoir and return line which makes the flush more challenging. I have done some diligent research and about all I can find is that AGA makes a tool for this procedure, but I find it hard to believe that everyone has that tool and I certainly can't find anyone near he who has that tool and I don't want to pay $140 for something that might only get used once.
So, has anyone performed this operation like the shop manual describes; disconnect the return line (at the bottom of the reservoir), direct it to a container, etc.....?
I would actually like to remove the reservoir and clean it before I perform the service because a lot of the nastiness is sitting at the bottom of it.
I'm sure it's never been done on mine, and it is way overdue. I don't want to invite problems with this system!

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 600SEL
150 Posts
I know this has been discussed and debated in many forums, especially the R230 forum because every one of them has it! What makes this somewhat unique is that the W221 with ABC has a completely different reservoir and return line which makes the flush more challenging. I have done some diligent research and about all I can find is that AGA makes a tool for this procedure, but I find it hard to believe that everyone has that tool and I certainly can't find anyone near he who has that tool and I don't want to pay $140 for something that might only get used once.
So, has anyone performed this operation like the shop manual describes; disconnect the return line (at the bottom of the reservoir), direct it to a container, etc.....?
I would actually like to remove the reservoir and clean it before I perform the service because a lot of the nastiness is sitting at the bottom of it.
I'm sure it's never been done on mine, and it is way overdue. I don't want to invite problems with this system!
Hi Warren.
I have bought many tools, some $140, that I only use once. Sometimes it's a tool that I intend to use, but don't get around to, even. If I was doing a ABC flush, I would go with that AGA tool, just to save the trouble. and mess. I don't have Star Diagnosis, so I would either need that or use the ride height button, and road driving to warm up and actuate the struts. Maybe someday I'll spring for SDS.
Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky for me, I have a friend with SDS. I just get stubborn with these things that may or may not be necessary. I talked to a local shop that specializes in MB, and they said they just disconnect the return line and plug the reservoir. I asked if it was easy to get to, and he wisely said "easy is a relative thing".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts