Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'02 CL600
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly, yesterday, my ABC/ ESP and ABS light comes on which causes the speedometer to stop working and my shifting stops in the gear I was driving. The car drives fine but does no longer shift up or down. ABC system works fine as well. ABC is "white" not "red" and continues to work fine.

Upon re-start all systems reset and work fine.

I drive for about 100-200 yards and the system does give the same warning and speedo and shifter stop working again?

When Idling the system has no problems. No ABC, ABS or ESP light comes on.

My pumps is new, system is flushed with new filters. I topped of the mineral oil reservoirs(power steering was bit low).

What is causing this issue?:roll eyes:
And why does the speedo and shifter stop working?

·
Registered
w215 CL500 2002., E320 1999 avantgarde(w210), 2011 E350 w212, Glk 2010
111 Posts
it sounds like you are in limp mode.

its a hard code that needs to be cleared by das, but check whats causing it to go on limp mode, my guess : need a new battery (cls need a very fresh bat if not that happens), connector plate needs to be replaced. but it sound like a batt issue.

good luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
You have a front wheel speed sensor at fault, no speed signal = all your problems, pop the car on STAR and you will know which one, probably the left front

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
You have a front wheel speed sensor at fault, no speed signal = all your problems, pop the car on STAR and you will know which one, probably the left front
Malcolm is correct, this is indeed a classic wheel speed sensor problem, on the W140 it was the front left for speedo, not so sure which with your model. The wheel speed sensor affect a lot of the systems on the car as most of these systems are integrated, SDS will tell you which one it is.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I can follow the logic about failure of (one of) the wheel speed sensors (L6/1 to L6/4) to initiate a fault on the speedo and cause an ESP failure alarm.

But L6/1 to L6/4 are not inputs to the ABC system, so why did that alarm? :confused:

·
52,804 Posts
I can follow the logic about failure of (one of) the wheel speed sensors (L6/1 to L6/4) to initiate a fault on the speedo and cause an ESP failure alarm.

But L6/1 to L6/4 are not inputs to the ABC system, so why did that alarm? :confused:
Go back and check again keyhole, my friend. All these sensors are giving input to the ESP and ABS side, Electronic Stability Program is very important to the running of Active Body Control. You cannot have active body without input from the stability control. Check the wiring diagrams and you will see the connections.

For instance in a very sharp left turn, the esp sensors which include speed will inform the ABC and the ABC will lift the car on the right and lower it on the left. The speed and the amount of Yaw or yaw rate will decide how much to lift one side and lower the other. This is exactly why it is called active body control.

·
6,543 Posts
The ABS is the base system and BAS and ESP ride on top of the ABC, so all the warnings, always the wheel sensor, ignore the other, they cannot work till the ABS is fixed

·
52,804 Posts
The ABS is the base system and BAS and ESP ride on top of the ABC, so all the warnings, always the wheel sensor, ignore the other, they cannot work till the ABS is fixed
Correct Malcolm, the ABS was the base station and the others are add ons if you like.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Go back and check again keyhole, my friend. All these sensors are giving input to the ESP and ABS side, Electronic Stability Program is very important to the running of Active Body Control. You cannot have active body without input from the stability control. Check the wiring diagrams and you will see the connections.
Thanks Eric.. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong circuits for:
ABC control module (N51/2). PE32.50-U-2101-99CA.
ESP,SPS & BAS control module (N47/5) PE42.45-P-2101-99CA.

For instance in a very sharp left turn, the esp sensors which include speed will inform the ABC and the ABC will lift the car on the right and lower it on the left. The speed and the amount of Yaw or yaw rate will decide how much to lift one side and lower the other. This is exactly why it is called active body control.
OK, understood. However, I can find inputs to the ABC (N51/2) from 5 accelerometers covering left/right/front/rear, both lateral and longitudinal, which will meet this dynamic measurement you refer to, but nothing from the wheel speed sensors. These only go to the ESP control module (as far as I am aware), together with 2 additional ESP accelerometers. I cannot see a hardwired link between the ESP control module and the ABC. Could it be via the BUS?

No matter - maybe I am missing something here, and I do not wish to flog this point to death. I was only trying to understand the OPs reported symptoms. You guys have already identified the likely cause of this problem. :)

·
52,804 Posts
Thanks Eric.. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong circuits for:
ABC control module (N51/2). PE32.50-U-2101-99CA.
ESP,SPS & BAS control module (N47/5) PE42.45-P-2101-99CA.

OK, understood. However, I can find inputs to the ABC (N51/2) from 5 accelerometers covering left/right/front/rear, both lateral and longitudinal, which will meet this dynamic measurement you refer to, but nothing from the wheel speed sensors. These only go to the ESP control module (as far as I am aware), together with 2 additional ESP accelerometers. I cannot see a hardwired link between the ESP control module and the ABC. Could it be via the BUS?

No matter - maybe I am missing something here, and I do not wish to flog this point to death. I was only trying to understand the OPs reported symptoms. You guys have already identified the likely cause of this problem. :)
Sorry my friend but I do not have time to dig deeper just now, maybe a little later in the week, off to Hong Kong on Wed to make a new visa and back for my birthday on Sunday, big 60 ya:D

·
52,804 Posts
I decided to check, and it did not take long, it is the front right and left wheel speed sensors, all is connected via Can C. So he will have to have both sensors tested to see which one it is.

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
In this snap I have highlighted the wis reference so you can take a closer look for yourself;

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
I found what I was looking for, the system is very complex and requires input from all 4 wheel speed sensors, but the main stay for the speedo is the front left sensor.

Attachments

·
6,543 Posts
The actual fault here is one of the most common going, Thanks Eric for the diagrams, do have a good break :):)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I decided to check, and it did not take long, it is the front right and left wheel speed sensors, all is connected via Can C. So he will have to have both sensors tested to see which one it is.
Aah - thanks for that drawing Eric. It explains everything.:)

About Hong Kong.

I know that HK used to drive on the left (as UK). But China drives on the right. Has anything changed there? If not, do they switch sides on the 'border'? Last time I went through there in 2008 I didn't leave the airport so couldn't see for myself...

·
52,804 Posts
Aah - thanks for that drawing Eric. It explains everything.:)

About Hong Kong.

I know that HK used to drive on the left (as UK). But China drives on the right. Has anything changed there? If not, do they switch sides on the 'border'? Last time I went through there in 2008 I didn't leave the airport so couldn't see for myself...
Not much has changed, Hong Kong on the left, China on the right. You cannot register a RHD car on the mainland but can license it in HK and duel register it in China, heavy restrictions on this though.

Crossing the border by car is akin to entering UK from Europe by car, just have to remember to drive on the other side.

I will fly to Shenzhen from Ningbo on Wed and cross into honkers on thursday and hopefully back to shenzhen same day, still expensive for hotels in honkers. And Shenzhen is a much nicer place with less blasted tourists LOL.

The tricky part is getting on a flight Fri/Sat to Taizhou, the airport in Taizhou is actually an air force base and only accepts a few civilian flights a day. But come hell or high water I will have to be back for Sunday as the dinner is on my tab for the whole workshop. Just a thought, this is gonna be an expensive week:crybaby2:

·
Registered
'02 CL600
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW, I did not check for a little while and am impressed with the discussion based on my initial problem/question.

You guys were right. I did put the wrong size tires in the rear of the car with a larger radius than the fronts, who were still fine. I thought, I am trading the car anyway so it does not matter.
Well, it sure mattered. I changed the rear tires over to the correct 245-40-18 same as the fronts and all the codes stayed away and the car is running perfect again.

I had no idea that the car was so sensitive to a small radius change. I heard Audi Quattro's
were very sensitive this way but not a rear-drive Mercedes.

Thank you for all your discussions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts