Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading here for months, I now have a reason to post an issue.
2002 CL500 75k mi.
I have noticed that hyd fluid is seeping out of the dip stick hole past the rubber cover on the ABS tank. I have tied a rag to see how much is coming out and it seems to be consistant. I have not added fluid for 2 months and this started 2 weeks ago.
Now I'm getting the dredded ABC (red) drive carefully warning on a frequent yet intermittent bases. I have seached yet unable to find a thread similar to this problem.
I'm thinking a possible clogging, or maybe the pump can't handle the volume or pressure any longer.
Does any one have any experience, or thoughts with this problem.
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on Hyd fluid,

It seems that the volume of fluid returning to the tank is more than the pump is pumping out of the tank. I add fluid and its ok, then I'll drive for about 30 min. and I get the ABC warning. I the check the fluid and its mid range on the upper and lower mark, and the rag is soaked in fluid, I add a little fluid, turn on the engine and the ABC warning is off. I drive the car and this cycle continues.

·
Registered
CL500
18 Posts
I had a similar problem with my CL500. I changed the accumulater without bleeding the system afterwards. This caused an air pocket in the system which led to the flued seeping out of the reservoir. I suggest that you take it to a workshop and ask them to bleed the system to get rid of any air pockets.

·
Registered
W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
641 Posts
After topping up the ABC fluid, keep the cap off and then raise and lower the car a total of six times.
Any air will then be bled off and the fluid will have circulated fully thru out the ABC system.
You should hear the sound of expelled air after raising and lowering the suspension. After the 6 suspension raises are done replace the cap and then test drive the car.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No problem.

Top up the ABC fluid to the upper detent on the dip stick with the engine off.

Then start the motor and do the 6 raises (by pushing the lift button twice each time to lift to the highest setting and pushing twice to lower to the lowest setting) with the engine running.

Afterwards check the fluid level again before replacing the cap.

I personally check and keep my fluid level right up to the top end of the upper detent.

The pin hole in the cap is for pressure relief of excess fluid, or fluid expansion when hot and even if there is excess it will not harm the system.

Best wishes.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Update on Hyd fluid,

It seems that the volume of fluid returning to the tank is more than the pump is pumping out of the tank. I add fluid and its ok, then I'll drive for about 30 min. and I get the ABC warning. I the check the fluid and its mid range on the upper and lower mark, and the rag is soaked in fluid, I add a little fluid, turn on the engine and the ABC warning is off. I drive the car and this cycle continues.
Fluid should never be mid range, at the upper detent with engine off, lower detent with engine on. If mid range with engine on then there is too much fluid.

·
Registered
2001 CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
609 Posts
After topping up the ABC fluid, keep the cap off and then raise and lower the car a total of six times.
Any air will then be bled off and the fluid will have circulated fully thru out the ABC system.
You should hear the sound of expelled air after raising and lowering the suspension. After the 6 suspension raises are done replace the cap and then test drive the car.[/QUOTE

Can the above procedure replace the mandatory "rodeo" ride ??

·
Registered
641 Posts
You should hear the sound of expelled air after raising and lowering the suspension. After the 6 suspension raises are done replace the cap and then test drive the car.[/QUOTE

Can the above procedure replace the mandatory "rodeo" ride ??
The RODEO procedure is done after an ABC Flush and Fill according to the MBZ STAR SERVICE Service Manual Library DVD.

The multiple 'raises' are done after a Fill and Vent of ABC fluid or a Tandem pump replacement.

The Tandem pump must not draw in air under any circumstances otherwise it can be damaged in advance due to a shortage of lubrication.

When replacing the Tandem pump, with motor ON, the multiple raises must be done a total of at LEAST 3x to bleed the system according to the DVD.

After removing, installing or replacing Suspension Struts or Valve Units -- the suspension must be raised and lowered at least 10x - 20x with the engine ON.

After a stabilisation period of approx. 5 minutes, with the engine OFF, the ABC fluid level should be checked again and corrected if necessary.

Response to whistling noises in the front or rear Valve body: Switch off engine and lift car until suspension stuts are relieved of load. Open the bleed screws (found in hydraulic lines) carefully until fluid flows out carefully. Then repeat above precedures and close bleed screws.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
609 Posts
Thank You for explaining it all.....Hope the dealerships follow those instructions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on ABC.

I raised and lowered the car 7X. Then checked the fluid w/car runnung just above the lower mark. And when engine off the fluid is at the top mark.

After driving the With the ABC warning off I shut off the engine and let it sit for about 30 min.. When I turned on engine I again get the ABC warning drive carefully. I again checked the fluid, and because I tie a rag around the dip stick neck I can see that fluid has seeped out again. So when the engine is running the fluid is just above the lower mark, and when turned off it is just a bit below the upper mark.
What I can tell you is that there is some consistancy.
After sitting for a while approx 2hrs, I don't get the ABC warning (as long as the fluid level is ok). But when its turned off is when the seepage happens, and not while its running. It seems that the system is pushing out the fluid when the level is good, and only after driving the car. The when I start it up I get the ABC warning because the fluid is lower, but not below the lower mark??? Very odd.
Also the pump might be on its way out because it make a lower frequency groweling noise. but it dose not make the noise when the ABC warning msg is on.
I appreciate every ones input.
Also , I have another question. Is it OK to drive with the ABC warning drive carefully on?? I of course, drive carefully..... Will driving cause any damage to the system?

Thank you,

·
52,804 Posts
What we normally do at this stage is to flush the system and do the rodeo but it does sound like you will need a new pump first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, I thought the same. Does any one have any leads on a good ABC pump?

Also will I cause any damage to the system if I drive (carefully) with the ABC warning on?

It seems that as long as I keep adding fluid I can drive initially with out the ABC warning on.

·
52,804 Posts
As long as there is fluid in the system and the pump does not fail altogether then it should be ok to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank for the response,

I would think thats true regarding the fluid level.

As far as an update goes, I drove today for about an hour with out shutting of the engine, no problem, but when I did, and restarted it the ABC warning came on again. So I once again checked the fluid level (running), and the level was on the lower side of mid range, which is good.. I'm just stumped.
1. Why does the system push out fluid.
2. Why does the system give me a ABC warning when the level is good.
3. There are no other issues that are obvious yet Re: ABC
4. Today the pump made no noise out of the ordinary.

I guess I'll just check the fluid every day, and replace the rags as needed, and just drive the car....

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
One of your Valve blocks is bad. It should close when the pressure comes down. Its not closing. So when the car stops. The fluid runs back into the system
and the car drops. This is how everyone kills their pumps. The fluid gets low and and then dead pump. Take it to a good independent and get it fixed. As long as he has SDS and knows how to work on the ABC you should be OK. Stealership=Twice as much $$. They have rebuilt ABC Pumps on E-bay now. Like under $ 600.00

Get this fixed or your going to finish off that pump quick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks bltserv,

Just as a point of interest, The car never drops, (so far) even if it sits for a few days.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The fluid coming back into the reservoir is coming from someplace. Try measuring the ride height after driving it with it still running. Then measure it again after its sits for a day or 2.
Bet you find an Inch or 2 your not noticing. Measure from the ground to the top lip of the fender on all 4 sides. See what you get. My SL55 loses about a Half an inch on the left rear after a couple days. Been that way since I got the car 4 years ago. Goes right back up at start up. But never has pushed the fluid level up dramatically in the reservoir.
Still does it after I changed fluid/rodeo and filters last month too. My indy says its perfectly normal to drop a tiny bit when it sits. But pushing fluid out the top is a definite problem that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was talking with my Indy about this very subject the other day since I posted. I had a little fluid get pushed out the top on my SL55 after he did a fluid/filter change on my ABC.
He mentioned the same Valve Block issue. "Sometimes the Valve Block sticks". I personally think he didnt bleed all the air from the system. I got the "drive carefully" message and filled it back to the correct level right away. Seems to be back to normal now. And its great when you can see the green tinge of the fluid in your rag instead of brown dirty fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you once again bltserv,

Did your indy happen to mention which vavle block it was?
And is there a fix, or just replace it?

I have no new symtoms, same issue, I just keep adding fluid, but I would like to fix it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts