Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the PD is literally 6 E12 bolts that you remove & replace, it is just they are most inconveniently located. I recommend a good 1/4 fine toot drive or automatic ratchet as there is so little room to rachet.

Now after replacement my car is doing a mini rodeo (lifting and lowering at all 4 corners on its own) while driving or at traffic lights and the white ABC light stays on any ideas? Prior it just made the loud hydraulic noise and it is quiet now..

PS no leaks and fluid level is normal

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
756 Posts
SDS should provide actuations and diagnoses. Run the quick test then click on the fault codes. It should walk you through the problem and repair.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for info as to what causes the car to do this rodeo action BY ITSELF and there are previous posts but no one ever bothered to report back..

·
Registered
30 Posts
One theory that I’ve read somewhere is that debris is preventing the strut control valves in the valve blocks from completely closing. While the car is running, fluid is forced through the partially closed valves and this starts raising the car. Eventually the ABC computer realizes the ride height has risen out of an acceptable range, so it opens the strut control valves to lower the car. After this happens, the process continues to repeat itself because the strut control valves are unable to completely block fluid flow to the struts when they are supposed to be closed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had SDS I wouldn't rely on this forum as much.
That theory is as good as any, I'll try a flush & filter.
BTW when you buy a filter it doesn't come with the necessary top seal p/n
210-997-35-81
I think it is unbelievably cheap of MB not to include it with the $45 filter..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don’t think you will be successful unless you run two rodeos 15 mins apart and therefore need SDS. I’ll admit getting an SDS system up and running is somewhat difficult and intimidating unless you want to pay like $800 for a plug and play system.

I am also having ABC valve issues after replacing all of my accumulators, pulsation damper, and fluid. I’m hoping to fix it by flushing debris out of the valves via rodeo, nothing else has worked. If the rodeo fails I’ll be rebuilding valve blocks...

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
756 Posts
My turn key SDS was less than $500. It has saved me thousands $$$$. “Parts darts” can get very expensive. This forum is most helpful when you provide diagnostic information hence, SDS.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to flushing the fluid then replacing the filter. I emptied the reservoir by siphon since I saw no point in pumping an extra liter of dirty fluid through the system and began this flush with a reservoir of clean Pentosin. Once I collected 4 liters of old fluid I shut off car and put in the new filter and filled reservoir to proper mark on the AUS/AN line. It seems now to be acting normally & the weird "Self mini rodeo" seems to have stopped and the White ABC warning has stayed away. VERY STRANGE ! Fingers crossed it stays this way..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts