Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320 & 2003 SL500
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my AAM mainly because my remote keys don't work. I have done the re sync Procedure 10x ( No Luck) and the replacement of the AAM was also confirmed by the dealer.

I am trying to save a little money on this considering I can still lock and unlock the truck manually. So, I am in no rush, but do want to get it fixed.
I am not sure what steps to take considering this can't be a 100% DYI project, because "I Think" the dealer at one point has to program the new AAM. I can also buy a new AAM online and save over a $100.00 from what my dealer wants to charge just for the part. Can I install the AAM myself and then just have the dealer program it?

So, after researching - I believe these are the steps I should take.
1- Buy new or used AAM with last 4 part number matching. ( My AAM last 4 #'s are 53-32)
2- Remove old AAM and replace with new or used AAM. After getting to the fuse box and looking at old AAM. It looks like all you have to do is unplug all the plugs off the old AAM and plug them into the AAM you are replacing it with.
3 - Obviously put back all the covers on the fuse box.
4- Start car and go to dealer to have it programed to work with your truck..Wounder how much the dealer is going to charge me just to program??

Am I taking the right steps here?????

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
Its not quite that easy. The new AAM is a blank slate, with none of the options enabled. The car won't start until the AAM is programmed via the Star Diagnostic system, which means the dealer. Programming is an overstatement. All it really means is checking off option boxes on a menu, and mating up the new AAM with all the other controllers on the car. It takes maybe 10 minutes, or it least it did when mine was done.

Bottom line is that you need to take your new AAM to the dealer to have it installed. Frustrating, right?

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Its not quite that easy. The new AAM is a blank slate, with none of the options enabled. The car won't start until the AAM is programmed via the Star Diagnostic system, which means the dealer. Programming is an overstatement. All it really means is checking off option boxes on a menu, and mating up the new AAM with all the other controllers on the car. It takes maybe 10 minutes, or it least it did when mine was done.

Bottom line is that you need to take your new AAM to the dealer to have it installed. Frustrating, right?
You can say that again.:mad:

My ML has just developed a similar problem; the remote control (on both my keys) will not unlock/lock the doors - I can lock the doors manually from the centre console then lock my driver's door with the key. Using the driver's door lock unlocks all the doors with the key.

I have just found the AAM online at MB of Fort Lauderdale for $310 - Not sure if it is the correct one for my 2002 ML55 though.

For me being out here where I am, I am not even sure I can have it fixed especially since after purchasing a new AAM, I don't have a dealer out here to program the new AAM to my truck.

ps.

I'm beginning to wish I could take AC_ML's recent option.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, I exhausted every option before deciding the new AAM was required. In my case, the central lock/unlock from the console worked perfectly, but the remote failed.
Tried a used remote after transplanting the key blade and the RFID chip - no go.

Thanks to a ton of help from 43sqd [a truly remarkable and generous man] I traced the circuits thoroughly to be sure there was not a relay contact or wiring issue. Turns out that the lock/unlock command line from the AAM is common. The console lock switch and the remote both drive that circuit. It was obviously OK because the console locking was OK.
All other AAM functions were normal, so the only thing left was the radio receiver section of the AAM. Even removed the antenna and tried another in case that was the problem. It wasn't.

At this point, I took the car into the local dealer and had the SD run on the AAM. There were some very flaky communication problems which resulted in some AAM functions being inaccessible or intermittent. The tech invited me to watch this entire process, so I was then ready to spring for a new AAM.

I was there for the AAM replacement and programming too. The dealer tech was their 'gun' SD guy, and was kinda surprised that he had a customer interested in seeing him in action. First step is to use SD to dump the option setup on the installed AAM; maybe 15 minutes. Installation is a snap - 10 to 15 minutes to replace the AAM. Programming the new AAM is a simple matter of checking the boxes to match the option setup of the the original AAM, which took maybe 20 minutes. The new AAM immediately synced the two remotes and has operated perfectly since.

Bottom line is that an AAM can be fully functional is every respect except remote locking ops, and the only solution is a new AAM. In my case, given my wife drives the car, remote locking was essential. Had it been my driver, I probably would have settled for manual locking and saved the $600 or so it took to fix the remote locking.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Very well written post APKhaos - It anwers a lot of my unasked and unanswered questions.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Many thanks for the pdf Witek.

I have just discovered that there is a Mercedes outlet here where I live; so now I just have to order the new AAM from the States and then have it shipped/air freighted to where I am.

I see one for sale online at MB of Ft Lauderdale - How do I know it will work for my 2002 ML55?

Is there a particular part number or something?

·
Registered
540 Posts
The only way to be certain is:
- disconnect battery [I didn't, but its probably wise to do this]
- remove both fuse box covers [t30]
- remove fuse box hold-down screws [t30]
- gently lift the fuse box assembly up. There is sufficient cable length to do this with no problem.
- The AAM plugs into the rear of the fuse box assembly. You'll see that the part number is in two parts: 163 545 is moulded into the plastic case. There are two further numbers XX XX on white paper tags on the case. See the pic below. The complete part number is 163 545 53 32. You need to confirm yours.

Once you have the part number confirmed, you can buy one confidently. Might also be a good idea to confirm that the local dealer you found has the MB Star Diagnostic in house. All the US dealers are required to have them, but you live in a less predictable part of the world, my friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,020 Posts
Many thanks for the pdf Witek.

I have just discovered that there is a Mercedes outlet here where I live; so now I just have to order the new AAM from the States and then have it shipped/air freighted to where I am.

I see one for sale online at MB of Ft Lauderdale - How do I know it will work for my 2002 ML55?

Is there a particular part number or something?
Up to VIN A289559 163 545 53 82.
From VIN A289560 163 545 88 32.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, that's a lot simpler than my method. Humbling, really.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 & 2003 SL500
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I am at the mercy of the dealer on this...
Wondering if I can buy a AAM online and bring it to the dealer to have them install it.

Will the dealer do the labor considering I didn't buy the replacement part from them???

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Ive read in WIS that you need to order a new key along with the new AAM. Is it true ? Or maybe just for 2001 ?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
I have to replace my AAM mainly because my remote keys don't work. I have done the re sync Procedure 10x ( No Luck) and the replacement of the AAM was also confirmed by the dealer.
What kind of failure mechanism is involved here ? Is the RF receiver in the AAM physically broken or it this a programming error which causes the AAM to not recognize the keys anymore ?

Oh well, another costly potential repair to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
What kind of failure mechanism is involved here ? Is the RF receiver in the AAM physically broken or it this a programming error which causes the AAM to not recognize the keys anymore ?
Oh well, another costly potential repair to keep in mind.
Very good question!

I mean, can't the existing AAM just be reprogrammed to recognize the key again instead of just changing the entire AAM to fix one function (i.e. the remote function)?

What a bloody annoying contraption!:mad:

·
Registered
540 Posts
In my case it was the remote reciever section of the AAM that was faulty. It was not receiving signals from ANY remote. Once the new AAM went in, it happily synced the old remote and a new one.

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
...can't the existing AAM just be reprogrammed to recognize the key again instead of just changing the entire AAM to fix one function (i.e. the remote function)?QUOTE]

When this problem occurs (remote fonction), you get communication problem thus unable to program specific fonction. At least this is what im living. AAM is a big module that need to be replaced as whole. BTW they recently stop free replacement of these because there was a recall or tsb about it, not valid anymore sadly (specific VIN)

·
Registered
540 Posts
so you had to buy new aam + 1 new remote ?
Back story is that I bought the car with just one beat-up remote. My wife drives the car, so I needed at least one spare key. Got a new case for the old remote, so it now looks new and works perfectly. The new remote is the spare.

·
Registered
02 C32
86 Posts
Ive read in WIS that you need to order a new key along with the new AAM. Is it true ? Or maybe just for 2001 ?
I replaced the AAM and had to buy a new master key (vin specific) in order to program the AAM to the car. This key does not have a remore, but does have an embedded transponder.
Thereafter you can program the old keys to the new AAM.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts