Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

AAM -All Activity Module Replacement Question

200K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  CGL 
#1 ·
I have to replace my AAM mainly because my remote keys don't work. I have done the re sync Procedure 10x ( No Luck) and the replacement of the AAM was also confirmed by the dealer.

I am trying to save a little money on this considering I can still lock and unlock the truck manually. So, I am in no rush, but do want to get it fixed.
I am not sure what steps to take considering this can't be a 100% DYI project, because "I Think" the dealer at one point has to program the new AAM. I can also buy a new AAM online and save over a $100.00 from what my dealer wants to charge just for the part. Can I install the AAM myself and then just have the dealer program it?

So, after researching - I believe these are the steps I should take.
1- Buy new or used AAM with last 4 part number matching. ( My AAM last 4 #'s are 53-32)
2- Remove old AAM and replace with new or used AAM. After getting to the fuse box and looking at old AAM. It looks like all you have to do is unplug all the plugs off the old AAM and plug them into the AAM you are replacing it with.
3 - Obviously put back all the covers on the fuse box.
4- Start car and go to dealer to have it programed to work with your truck..Wounder how much the dealer is going to charge me just to program??

Am I taking the right steps here?????

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

See less See more
#2 ·
Its not quite that easy. The new AAM is a blank slate, with none of the options enabled. The car won't start until the AAM is programmed via the Star Diagnostic system, which means the dealer. Programming is an overstatement. All it really means is checking off option boxes on a menu, and mating up the new AAM with all the other controllers on the car. It takes maybe 10 minutes, or it least it did when mine was done.

Bottom line is that you need to take your new AAM to the dealer to have it installed. Frustrating, right?

#4 ·
Its not quite that easy. The new AAM is a blank slate, with none of the options enabled. The car won't start until the AAM is programmed via the Star Diagnostic system, which means the dealer. Programming is an overstatement. All it really means is checking off option boxes on a menu, and mating up the new AAM with all the other controllers on the car. It takes maybe 10 minutes, or it least it did when mine was done.

Bottom line is that you need to take your new AAM to the dealer to have it installed. Frustrating, right?
You can say that again.:mad:

My ML has just developed a similar problem; the remote control (on both my keys) will not unlock/lock the doors - I can lock the doors manually from the centre console then lock my driver's door with the key. Using the driver's door lock unlocks all the doors with the key.

I have just found the AAM online at MB of Fort Lauderdale for $310 - Not sure if it is the correct one for my 2002 ML55 though.

For me being out here where I am, I am not even sure I can have it fixed especially since after purchasing a new AAM, I don't have a dealer out here to program the new AAM to my truck.

ps.

I'm beginning to wish I could take AC_ML's recent option.

#5 · (Edited)
Well, I exhausted every option before deciding the new AAM was required. In my case, the central lock/unlock from the console worked perfectly, but the remote failed.
Tried a used remote after transplanting the key blade and the RFID chip - no go.

Thanks to a ton of help from 43sqd [a truly remarkable and generous man] I traced the circuits thoroughly to be sure there was not a relay contact or wiring issue. Turns out that the lock/unlock command line from the AAM is common. The console lock switch and the remote both drive that circuit. It was obviously OK because the console locking was OK.
All other AAM functions were normal, so the only thing left was the radio receiver section of the AAM. Even removed the antenna and tried another in case that was the problem. It wasn't.

At this point, I took the car into the local dealer and had the SD run on the AAM. There were some very flaky communication problems which resulted in some AAM functions being inaccessible or intermittent. The tech invited me to watch this entire process, so I was then ready to spring for a new AAM.

I was there for the AAM replacement and programming too. The dealer tech was their 'gun' SD guy, and was kinda surprised that he had a customer interested in seeing him in action. First step is to use SD to dump the option setup on the installed AAM; maybe 15 minutes. Installation is a snap - 10 to 15 minutes to replace the AAM. Programming the new AAM is a simple matter of checking the boxes to match the option setup of the the original AAM, which took maybe 20 minutes. The new AAM immediately synced the two remotes and has operated perfectly since.

Bottom line is that an AAM can be fully functional is every respect except remote locking ops, and the only solution is a new AAM. In my case, given my wife drives the car, remote locking was essential. Had it been my driver, I probably would have settled for manual locking and saved the $600 or so it took to fix the remote locking.

#8 · (Edited)
Many thanks for the pdf Witek.

I have just discovered that there is a Mercedes outlet here where I live; so now I just have to order the new AAM from the States and then have it shipped/air freighted to where I am.

I see one for sale online at MB of Ft Lauderdale - How do I know it will work for my 2002 ML55?

Is there a particular part number or something?

#9 · (Edited)
The only way to be certain is:
- disconnect battery [I didn't, but its probably wise to do this]
- remove both fuse box covers [t30]
- remove fuse box hold-down screws [t30]
- gently lift the fuse box assembly up. There is sufficient cable length to do this with no problem.
- The AAM plugs into the rear of the fuse box assembly. You'll see that the part number is in two parts: 163 545 is moulded into the plastic case. There are two further numbers XX XX on white paper tags on the case. See the pic below. The complete part number is 163 545 53 32. You need to confirm yours.

Once you have the part number confirmed, you can buy one confidently. Might also be a good idea to confirm that the local dealer you found has the MB Star Diagnostic in house. All the US dealers are required to have them, but you live in a less predictable part of the world, my friend.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have to replace my AAM mainly because my remote keys don't work. I have done the re sync Procedure 10x ( No Luck) and the replacement of the AAM was also confirmed by the dealer.
What kind of failure mechanism is involved here ? Is the RF receiver in the AAM physically broken or it this a programming error which causes the AAM to not recognize the keys anymore ?

Oh well, another costly potential repair to keep in mind.

#15 ·
What kind of failure mechanism is involved here ? Is the RF receiver in the AAM physically broken or it this a programming error which causes the AAM to not recognize the keys anymore ?
Oh well, another costly potential repair to keep in mind.
Very good question!

I mean, can't the existing AAM just be reprogrammed to recognize the key again instead of just changing the entire AAM to fix one function (i.e. the remote function)?

What a bloody annoying contraption!:mad:

#25 ·
My old key just stop working. Tried everything, new battery and the resync step many times. Called my SA at the dealer and he told me to order a new key ($125.00) and then bring the truck in to reprogam the key into the AAM.

Well, that's when I was told that I need a new AAM - Part $452.00& Labor $235.00r = $687.00. That's why I am thinking of just buying the part online for less than $300 and just having the dealer program it.

#29 ·
If you really want to understand how the various components of these systems work to gether and the important model year differences, then read this:

The Beginners Guide to DAS, EIS, ECS and more

Its really the only way to understand why things are as they are. It also confirms that the guys who designed the W163 control systems were better suited to space shuttle class projects. This is an unbelievably complex system with multiple points of failure. All they really needed was three levels of redundancy to make it reliable.

#33 ·
I think I am going to live with the fact that I am going to lock and unlock my truck manually, being there is no other way to replace the AAM without bring it to the dealer. Not going to spend $667 + Tax. That's over $700 to open my truck with the remote?
If anyone knows of another way. Please do tell?

Hey...43sqd...That for the heads up. I was just about to buy the AAM online.

#36 ·
Let me tell you my experiance.
First, of course dealer will try to replace the most expensive part of the system first.
Second, I'm electronic engineer and just by logical thinking, something has to back up the program in AAM unless it is burned into e-prom forever but radio transmitter/receiver components don't go bad easy unless made wrong from mfg. or overheated, overvoltaged.
Please, all check if you have the correct resychronization procedure!!!!
I was quoted $160 for remote when I bought my truck 3 years ago.
When I got nice looking used remote from e-bay, opened it up and transplanted my transponder chip and key over. My original remote had also broked off small surface mount IC chip that was loose inside of it. With small heat torch I replaced this chip on donor $28 dollar FOB and I tought I was done.
Found resynchronization procedure in my owner's manual and try over and over with no luck. It would start my truck fine with my original transponder chip and key on it.
Then I looked at other resynchro steps for different year and one of them worked. My new looking remote was finally funktioning fine. I then wrote down into my manual the steps that was correctly working to resynchronize it.
I even pull batteries out for 4 hours to see if I loose synchronization, it was working fine, locking unlocking as before.
I went back to ebay and bought one more good looking FOB and did the surgery again, leaving the swithes and circuit board in it, replacing only transponder and key.
Resynchronized and working nice, hanging in my kitchen cabinet as a spare, using it ones in a while to lock my car from a distance before I go to bed at night.
Remember, enything that man made is also repairable by man!
I wish to see the inside of AAM unit but I'm not going to take apart mine, lol just not yet!
Maybe that day will come but for sure I will not go to dealer with it.
I would rather go to car auction and buy complete (totaled) ML for probably $700 with working key and sell the rest for parts.
$125 all 4 tire change was a good deal at dealer and also recalls for free, other then that, I have no reason to see my MB dealer.
Good luck to all, including guys in Africa.
Bernard

#37 ·
i have an 2001 ml 320 my aam is done! i've just bought an aam used one it has the same (53-32) code on the aam but the thing is the aam it's from a 2001 ml430 i am just wondering if it can be programmed on my 2001 ml320. my car has remote problem that's all nothing else car works fine just need the remote again to work. can any one help me

#38 ·
I just has this problem. My keys are not working. and no alarm.
suspecting AAM. Not sure if it is worth the $700 to lock and unlock my ML..

Anyone has any replacement idea ?

#41 ·
If it's a certainty that the AAM is the cause and if one does not want to and/or unable to afford, then an alternative is to consider going the aftermarket route.
Parts cost starting as low as $35 for a simple keyless entry to $350-ish (higher-end) for a full complete keyless entry + alarm security + remote start features...you'll save on labor if you feel comfortable installing yourself.
Aftermarkets have a vast of options from tilt to motion (proximity) to glass break sensors to 2-way vehicle monitoring to extended range, etc...

To each their own. This would be an alternative.

#40 ·
I was in the same boat when I bought my 2001 ML430 Sport. Everything else was good, but the remote locking didn't work. My wife was going to drive it so it had to be fixed.
- Lots of help from 43sqd helped navigate the problem. [Thanks again J!]
- Swapped in a known good AAM - no change.
- Dealer hooked it up to Star diagnostics - big troubles even reading the current configuration from the AAM. Intermittent comms issues. Finally got a dump of the AAM options that we needed to program a new AAM to match the original settings.
- Bought a new AAM and had it programmed by the dealer - all good. Programming is a misnomer. All it involves is checking the appropriate boxes in the Star Diag config screens for the AAM - 20 minutes and done.

The remotes worked, and have operated without a glitch ever since.
It was an expensive fix, but every alternative I tried including tracing control signals, relay ops, swapping in a known good AAM all failed to fix the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.