Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sprayed all the black bits under the bonnet with Autoglym tyre and rubber blackener.Now she's on 6 cylinders - one bank totally shut down!Could it be i've contaminated one of the MAF's?I used this on my previous W140's - albeit not V12's without any problems - so why now on this !.No main stealers open on Sunday so I will have to perform the in-house de-greaser/spray fluid diagnostics!Can I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery after I have degreased all the plugs,sockets and pins? [:(]Only done 400 mile since MAJOR £3000 head gasket (one bank)rebuild and it was running like the cat's nad's!Just my luck![:(!]Any ideas apart from whats been mentioned?[?]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Get in touch via IM.. will try and talk you trough the procedures..Keep trying If I dont reply as soon as.. you will not clear the falt codes by disconnecting the battery.. they will be still in there.. so lets start with the basics like ?? spark..do you have any on the side that has gone down..

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I 'cleaned' and polished the engine bay the engine wasn't running.Also I gave it a good 1 hour with the bonnet fully vertical to dry and a further 3 hours before I started the engine!At the moment I have no idea as to the bank that is shut down and I'm just about to go and unplug and de-grease all the connectors and as its a nice day give them plenty of chance to dry out!Also whilst the engines in this running condition it's 'banging' the gears in with a hell of a delay - just like when I had a bank go down previously so I'm safe in assuming that I have a bank fault![:(!]

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After speaking directly to Merc600sec and trying several options I decided enough is enough and have dropped it off at the main stealers!
One thing I noticed is that the cam position sensor doesn't look too hot and the 'spare' lead in the engine bay has thoughtfully been 'chopped off' by the main dealers!!!!????[xx(]Anyway I will wait and see what they say on Monday morning![:(]

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Let us know what you find. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I hope things are easily and inexpensively fixed. Here's a link that everyone should read, especially the update at the bottom of the web page.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_detail.html

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
I fried one of the ballast cleaning the engine [:(] so be careful about that too next time you do.

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just been in touch with the main stealers and they are unable to find the cause - they know its down on the left-hand bank but there are no fault codes stored !???[:0]Still awaiting further developments[:(]

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes - it sounds all so familiar[:(!]Unfortunately they have a new service manager and it seems he's into changing components until it's fixed!Well not at my bl***y expense he's not!!![:(!]Had to explain what silicon does and how it destroys oxygen sensors!I don't think he's Benz trained and is definately not 'clued-up' on the complexities of a V12[xx(]Just got word from one of the technicians who is a friend of the family,that they managed to pull a fault code - so I will have to phone tomorrow and find out!!![:0]

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank's for that.Well its now been in for 2 day's and all they can tell is the lefthand side is definately in shut-down mode BUT there are no fault codes registered!????With such a complicated computer system how can this be?It must know that one bank is 'dead' as it's been told to stop running and it's shut the fuel and ignition off!All very strange[xx(]Anyway we will see what day 3 brings[:0]In the mean time i'm using my 21 year old series3 Land Rover - NO ECU's,NO FUEL INJECTION,NO CATALYTIC CONVERTORS and most of all - NO PROBLEMS and 100% reliable!!![:D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts