Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
W168 A160 - Unidentified Part and Slipping Clutch

Hi there,

The auto-clutch in my semi-manual (ACS) W168 1999 A160 starting slipping a while back, most noticably on gears 3, 4, and 5.

I know this is a massive job, but before I undertook any work (or sell it off), I wanted a part identified just in case it is related to the slipping clutch.

I understand (thanks to Lofty!) that the clutch and brakes share brake fluid from the same resevoir (1), however I noticed there is another similar looking resevoir with identical cap (2), just behind and to the right of the washer-fluid resevoir (3). From what I can tell, it looks empty.

Can someone please identify this second resevoir at position (2) for me? It's not mentioned in the car manual. If it is related to the clutch problem, I'd also like to know where and how I can bleed that particular resevoir, in the event it needs topping up.

Image IDs:
1. Brake/Clutch Fluid Resevoir.
2. Unknown.
3. Washer Fluid Resevoir.
4. Novelty Horn - ignore (thought I'd label it, in case people started asking)

Many thanks,

Yves

edit: just realised a mistake with the subject title; should read W168 A160 (not A168) - I got ahead of myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Yves,

The Brake reservoir only serves the brakes on a semi automatic. The reservoir behind the washer bottle is just for the semi automatic clutch.

Top it up and follow Loftys bleeding instructions. I think it's more likely the friction/pressure plate is worn out.

Steve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Steve; things are starting to look up!

I've scoured Lofty's site and can't seem to find anything on bleeding the ACS fluid. There's an extensive description of bleeding the auto, and the full-manual fluids however. Both say there is a different procedure for the ACS.

Any ideas where I can find info on bleeding the ACS fluid once it has been topped up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I may have found the line you're referring to from Lofty's site: it's about 8/10 of the way down page 59a, in reference to the ACS pump, just before the 'Gear Selector Reset Procedure' section.

" If like me, you remove the pump completely and let all the hydraulic fluid out, a simple way of bleeding the system once the pump was re attached is as follows. Switch the ignition on with the bleed valve open, close the valve and switch ignition off, repeat a few times. "
(thank-you again Lofty!!!)

I'll check it out. If anyone has anything further to add, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts