Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since production of the CLK ended in 2009, I've been wondering which MB model will pick up the baton for MBs mid-sized sports coupe with superior road holding.

The C207, introduced in 2010, is an E-Class 2-door coupe/cab. This is larger, more expensive and more refined for a fair comparison with the discontinued CLK.

In 2011 MB released details of the new C-class 2-door coupe/cab. This can be supplied with engines either of two 4-cylinder diesels (C220cdi, C250CDi), a 6-cylinder petrol (C350 AMG) and an 8-cylinder petrol C63 AMG). I am not sure what vehicle identifier number has been reserved for this range, but it is on sale now in Europe.

The size, refinement, and it's slot in the market, suggests that this car really will be the successor to the CLK. Any thoughts?

·
BenzWorld Elitist
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
The C207, introduced in 2010, is an E-Class 2-door coupe/cab. This is larger, more expensive and more refined for a fair comparison with the discontinued CLK.
It's also uglier, inside and out. The price is about the same here btw.

In 2011 MB released details of the new C-class 2-door coupe/cab. This can be supplied with engines either of two 4-cylinder diesels (C220cdi, C250CDi), a 6-cylinder petrol (C350 AMG) and an 8-cylinder petrol C63 AMG). I am not sure what vehicle identifier number has been reserved for this range, but it is on sale now in Europe.

The size, refinement, and it's slot in the market, suggests that this car really will be the successor to the CLK. Any thoughts?
A distinctly lesser car, in configuration and equipment.
It's been on sale in NA for awhile now.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
FYI, the C207 E-Class coupe/cabriolet is based on the W204 C-Class, just as the W209 CLK was based on the W203 C. The C207 is larger than the W209, as is the W204 larger than the W203. While some people may not like the looks or the increased size of the C207, it is the successor to the CLK.

As for the new W204 coupe, it's also available in the USA as of MY2012. I have not heard of a cabriolet option for it, but I suppose it's possible. It is positioned in the model lineup as an equivalent to the old W203 hatchback coupe, although the W204 is not a hatchback. Even though the W203 sedan, coupe and the CLK were all based on the same chassis, the CLK was longer and larger overall. I would assume that if the W204 coupe is offered topless, that it would probably compete with the BMW 1-series, i.e. it would have a nearly useless back seat and a cramped front cockpit. The W203 CLK and the C207 E are really positioned more to compete with he BMW 6-series. There is really no MBZ competition for the BMW 3-series coupes except maybe the C-Class sedan, and definitely not the 3 convertible version.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rechecking the MB literature, I realize that I have jumped the gun referring to a topless C-Class coupe. I'm sure that one will be in the pipeline...it was about a year late on the W209.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts