Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked a half day today, so i took the afternoon to go check out some Pinz's for sale at COLD WAR REMARKETING.<br> The guys there were real nice, answered most of my questions, and allowed me to test drive a few Pinz's.<br> I found one that was clean, looked pretty straight, good condition.<br> <br> But then the Sherrif rolled in.<br> <br> Turns out this bunch has been ripping off customers, doing unauthorized repairs, swapping good parts off of customers vehicles. You know, the stuff you see on TV shows like 20/20.<br> <br> There was this poor guy there with his wife. He had brought his UNIMOG in for a tune up on the engine, and a new radiator. Instead it looks like they swapped in a junk radiator, DID A BRAKE OVERHAUL, and never did the tune up. <br> <br> Is this place known to be a 'chop shop'?<br> are there any reputable places to get parts and vehicles like the MOG and PINZ worked on?<br> <br> Just wanted to warn you guys. Be careful of this place. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, that was MY UNIMOG at CWR.<br>
I had emailed Ron at the RMM website, asking if he knew of someone who could who could tune My 404's engine. He suggested Dennis at CWR.<br>
<br>
After dropping the vehicle off, Dennis started asking me a long line of questions about the MOG.<br>
Since the vehicle had just undergone a complete restoration back in San diego (including a complete teardown, complete removal of every bit of paint, rust, replacement of all 'less than perfect parts (thanks Eurotech for the help), I knew the vehicle was in perfect condition. (Minus the miles driven from S.D. to Park City, to Jackson Hole, to Boulder). Dennis then told me that he suspected that my brakes were shot, and that he should take a look at them. I knew the brakes were in perfect order, because i had just done an inspection on them apprx. 3 weeks prior.<br>
Rather, I asked him to go ahead and perform the tune up (the reason for the visit to CWR), replace the radiator and fan, and since he had the blackout lights on special on his website; put a set of those on as well.<br>
<br>
The nightmare really began when i got a phone call from Dennis about 4 days after my last visit to CWR. The phone call was to notify me that they had done the brake job (WHAT?!), and that the brakes were indeed shot.<br>
<br>
I WAS FURIOUS! I have been working on Automobiles for 20 years now, and i can rebuild a brake system blindfolded. I know for a fact that there was nothing wrong with my brakes. NO leaks, no excessive wear, no pulling to either side, no squealing..... no nothing. When I asked him why he did it, he just said he thought he needed to. wait a second...........who authorized this? well, nobody did. After all of that, I asked Dennis if he had done the tuneup yet. His answer was that he had not. I notified him at that point to cease working on the vehicle, and that I would be coming to collect it as soon as I returned to Colorado.<br>
<br>
WEll, I went down to CWR yesterday. Sure enough, all the new powdercoat on my wheels, lug nuts; and brake peices, was torn up by wrenches, and the finish of the wheels is ruined. (ok, I was already expecting that). A used radiator was fitted, but the engine had not been touched.<br>
When I tried to start the vehilce, the batteries were completely flat. (This has never happened since I bought the MOG, it has sat for weeks at a time, and has always had a very strong set of batteries).<br>
<br>
So I go inside, ask for Dennis. I want to pay, and get out of there.<br>
<br>
I am told that Dennis is not there, and he wont be back for three hours. Fine, just give me the bill, I'll pay; and then i will be on my way.<br>
<br>
Nope, Dennis has left specific instructions that I am not to be given the bill, and that if I want my vehicle, I will have to wait for him. I ask the guy at the counter 'why all the subterfuge'?<br>
He becomes very evasive, so I tell him quite frankly: I know the vehicle is done, So give me the bill, cut the nonsense. He refuses.<br>
<br>
It's friday, and I work for a living. I cant waste my time on a power-tripping mechanic. I requested a service, i am here to pay for it. What is the problem?<br>
<br>
At this point I am well aware that we are getting deep into 'civil matters', so I warn the mechanic to produce a bill, and allow me to pay and leave, or i will call the sherrif's department.<br>
<br>
Again, he refuses. So, I am forced to call.<br>
<br>
WEll, the Sherrif arrives about 10 minutes after Dennis miraculously arrives. I am thouroughly disgusted to watch Dennis's theatrics in front of the Sherrif. He even tried to prevent me from paying with my credit card(visa), saying that I would only renig on the charge (?) What a loser!<br>
The Sherrif told him he would have to accept the card as payment, and to let me pay and be on my way. Dennis spent a whole hour trying prevent this from happening. I suspect this is due to the fact that he knows that I can now have the vehicle inspected to determine what was changed, what unauthorized liberties he took with the vehicle, etc.<br>
<br>
AS a warning to all of you who would patronize Cold War Remarketing. I wouldnt entrust your vehicle to them for one second. Stick with reputable companies. I have had excellent service from a number of UNIMOG related companies including Eurotech, and persons like Kai Serrano, and the David Clark.<br>
<br>
CWR is a slick little operation, and Dennis is a very accomplished Con Artist. <br>
<br>
Be very very careful.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rumor and Inuendo

Interesting....<br> <br> As far as I could tell... events are as follows:<br> <br> Customer authorizes repairs (over the phone) at LINDEN ENGINEERING (not COLD WAR), authorized repairs done, customer does not want to pay, Linden refuses to release vehicle without payment. Customer calls Sheriff and Sheriff agrees with Linden. Customer must cough up the dough. He paid his bill, he got his truck.<br> <br> Junk Radiator? You must take that up with Radiator King who rebuilt the Customer's original radiator and Linden reinstalled. No 'brake job' was done. Brake hydraulics were repaird at 'no charge'. Cooling system repairs were done. Customer was advised by Linden and the Sherriff that the vehicle's brakes are not road worthy. He should have them repaired.<br> <br> I have been on my annual spring buying trip for the last month. Just back today.<br> <br> Bring 20/20 on out. We (Linden & Cold War) have nothing to hide. When the lights come on, we do not scurry for the dark like roaches.<br> <br> As far as being a 'bunch' is concerned, I do not catch your meaning. We are here. Authorized repairs were performed. Pament was due. Where is the 'rip off'? These entities are businesses. This is not a hobby. 'Chop Shop' is a clearly derrogatory term that is a) used incorrectly by you and b) wholly not applicable.<br> <br> It would be better if you did not post rumor and inuendo without getting the facts.<br> <br> --Patrick Robb<br> Cold War Remarketing, Inc.<br> (303) 346-8462

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get It Straight...

YOU HAVE HAD NO DEALINGS IN THIS MATTER WITH COLD WAR REMARKETING.<br> <br> YOU DEALT WITH LINDEN ENGINEERING.<br> <br> DENNIS WILLIAMS DOES NOT WORK FOR COLD WAR REMARKETING. HE OWNS LINDEN ENGINEERING.<br> <br> Please stop slandering Cold War. How clued in are you if you don't even know who the hell you are dealing with?<br> <br> Patrick Robb<br> Cold War Remarketing, Inc.<br> (303) 346-8462

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but a warning nevertheless

I didnt post this because i mistook the MBZ forum as a forum for DEBATE. it's not.<br>
Rather, its a format for the exchange of information related to MBZ.<br>
t<br>
You said yourself that you werent even there. Away on a purchasing trip. So, you admit that your information is second hand. fine.<br>
<br>
If I were aligned in business with this Dennis person, i would take the exact same position as you, so i dont fault you in your response.<br>
However,<br>
1. Dennis represented himself as COLD WAR REMARKETING from the onset (hence my speaking to him after the emailed referral from RMM's Ron Depugh (sp?). Perhaps this is something that YOU should look into, if Dennis is misrepresenting himself as an employee of CWR.<br>
2. The facts as stated are true, and verifiable. I have the saved Voicemails from Dennis to accomplish verification.<br>
3. My post, was submitted to clarify the occurences yesterday at (yours, his, or whomevers, but was supposed to be CWR). Mine was posted as informational. It is true and correct. IF it is not, then take legal actions, as is your right. I imagine, though i cannot confirm, that the PINHUNTER post was also informational in intent, not slanderous.<br>
<br>
But the bottom line is this:<br>
<br>
If you are running a legit business, then you have no worries. Go have some coffee, enjoy your day. No need for any worry of any kind.<br>
<br>
IF not, then I would be very very worried. Treating customers improperly, unfairly, etc. will become harder for those who seek to do it.<br>
And those are the people who should worry.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to agree with "Ed's 404s" on that point

Mr. Robb, <br> No mention of your name was ever mad to me yesterday. I suggest you look into some serious Personnel management.<br> <br> I appreciated the follow up post from Ed's 404. It clarified for me what I heard and saw yesterday.<br> I appreciated your post as well (and your position in this matter). It is unfortunate that you werent there. Perhaps this might have never occured. <br> <br> To me it sounds like a common case of: while the cats away............the mice were playin'.<br> <br> I say 'good luck' to Ed's 404, Im glad he stuck his neck out to tell his story. I imagine he's going to get seriously beat up on the forum for his post........which is why you so rarely hear stories like this(nobody wants to take part in the ensuing argument, except the guilty party).<br> <br> Like he said, if nothing 'bad' happened, then dont worry about it. I've learned that reputations that 'should' stay intact, always do.<br> <br> goodbye to this thread.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To Ed's 404s and his molested MoG

Coodos and congratulations on the process of exchanging information related to MBZ. This 'thread' has done just that.<br> <br> This 'thread' may dye of neglect if folks are smart, BUT (the but always comes when folks think the can do no wrong) There is a reason someone said the customer is always right. A good reputation will carry through alot, you must still nurture it as a child, No one is allowed to belittle their customers. The customers are to question the business by nature in hopes if being impressed not B.S.'ed.<br> <br> I am personally in the market for a MAV and was considering visiting CWR this week. I now plan to visit to see how they handle this. I happen to be ,among other things, the purchasing agent for a large outfitter comming into the market for a new fleet of vehicles getting a unimog of my own has been an experience and test for a new fleet and their future service. I consider myself to be a good servey of new purchasers and since I'm able to spend the time to get to know the Vehicles and the people who deal with them, I understand the importance and time folks put into researching and maintaining UniMoG s. This breed of folks have alot in common. This source of information and the way they share information by 'word of mouth' is a tribute to this process the people, and to<br> Ed's 404s<br> 1966 404s<br> Location : San diego <br> my personal thanks to sir. You have done justice to yourself and your family.<br> <br> Please feel free to share your experiences with us in the future. If you would like, I'd be happy to listen, spit'n whittle in person --- [email protected] --- I'll even bring the firewood -- if were within 500 miles at the time. --<br> <br> I will be very interested in the history of CWR for now and the future. See'n Colorado this week.<br> I understand very well how hard good help is to get and keep. As is a good reputation, to all in time. <br> I hope Mr Patrick Robb the best and that he enjoys his choices to work --with-- future customers, employees, and others, for 'No man works --for-- another without great sacrifice and effort'.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Radcliff's black rolling coffin

Gentlemen,<br> Patrick Robb at CWRI passed me a web link today so that I can reply as the guilty party, reference one of the commentators has mentioned in email exchange. <br> <br> As the president of LinDen Engineering we have never either tacitly or deliberately impersonated ourselves as CWRI. If you call our shop line you will get a greeting to that effect and all our cards and stationary have no mention of CWRI on them. We are a totally separate entity as LinDen Engineering Inc. Having made that clear I now wish to add the other side of the story regarding Mr. Radcliff's vehicle. Which is being broadcast to the world. <br> <br> For the record Mr. Radcliff called our shop asking for assistance with a noise emanating from the front of the engine. On the 20th of April, 2002. He left messages on OUR out of hours shop line that clearly has a LinDen Engineering greeting on it mentioning that he was stranded on Highway 36 with a fan through the radiator. I interrupted one of my daughter's birthday parties to arrange a tow truck to recover the unimog to OUR shop. On the following Monday morning an inspection revealed that the fan hub bearings had failed due to lack of lubrication and the fan had torn into the radiator. Mr. Radcliff was informed of that fact on Monday morning. During a cordial conversation he inquired about a M130 engine alternative and told us to cease the repair until we discussed in detail the cost of the modification. Several days later he visited OUR shop and we discussed in detail several points about his unimog but concluded that we reinstated it as it stood. I informed him at that point that the Parts would come to about $400.00 plus labor we received a verbal agreement to continue and also to check the brakes and tune the engine. Our concern at that stage was the amount of pedal pumping that was necessary to get a sufficient brake pedal pressure (no fewer then 3 pumps). <br> <br> To repair the cooling system we used a quality assured radiator, which was recently checked, by a radiator shop for a separate project and our last used fan which was also for the same. (We are also unimog owners) We do not stock captive parts for unimogs although we do have aftermarket new components, which completed the repair on Mr. Radcliff's truck. It is my understanding that CWRI does not have new radiators nor new or used fans available that however was immaterial since Mr. Robb was in Europe. Having reinstated the cooling system a static check revealed that the vehicle attained its correct stabilized operating temperature of 80 degrees Celsius (determined by hand held instrumentation) the dashboard temp. gauge was inoperative. <br> <br> We turned our attention to his braking system as instructed and discovered SERIOUS problems with the wheel cylinders. Unable to make contact with Mr. Radcliff we repaired the system so that the front brakes were at least operative without the need to pump the pedal. We felt at this stage the vehicle needed at least some braking to be safe and as it was the vehicle was NOT safe. No matter who paid for it in good conscience we could not allow nothing to be done to them. Having made contact with the client following the repairs we summarized the cost of the repair to date, he became clearly agitated and mentioned that this would seriously eat into his holiday budget. As a measure of goodwill I waived the cost to fix the brakes both parts and labor and reiterated the cost of the radiator repair only. That being labor $195.00 Parts $457.00 Towing $140.97 and Tax $21.93 for a total of $814.93. He told me to cease work on his vehicle and eventually he would collect it. We in turn informed him that the vehicle was unroadworthy he rejected a FREE inspection of his rear braking system, the speedometer did not work, the turn signals did not work, portions of the lighting circuit were inoperative and the vehicles windshield wipers we all found to be inoperative (it rained on both days we worked on the vehicle as well as today and yesterday) making the vehicle unfit to test on the public highway. Two independent mechanics from other workshops both inspected this vehicle as witnesses and concluded the same unsafe condition. On Friday May 4, 2002 I left the shop in the afternoon to test a vehicle and conduct a short meeting. My lead mechanic had instructions not to release the vehicle until the owner/operator was cautioned about its condition. Strangely a few minutes after I left Mr. Radcliff appeared in OUR shop demanding his vehicle. Upon my return the outstanding sum for the radiator repair was once again explained in detail where he offered $500.00 as a full payment (After all would you have accepted partial payment for full work as well as free brakes, parts and labor). When this was refused he called the local sheriff since I would not accept his credit card or out of state cheque. The reasons for this are simple it is common practice not accept out of state cheques without prior authorization and irate customers can often repudiate a credit card charge after receiving the vehicle. <br> <br> In private with the officer the details were explained and the offer was made to settle the bill with his wife's' debit card. Surprise Surprise when running the card the transaction was declined, I then phoned the bank who informed us this was above the charge authorization and the signature strip was missing from the card rendering it VOID. Following a 45-minute discussion by our clients on the phone with their bank they finally were able to complete payment and the vehicle was released into their custody. I fully expect this individual to contest the billing at a later date even though it was legal and witnessed by a county sheriff and 6 other witnesses. As was the despicable condition of his vehicle. The sheriff cautioned him about the unsafe condition of his vehicle but even to the sheriff he concluded he was above the law. <br> <br> To conclude we at LinDen Engineering pride ourselves on being straightforward with the customer but in this case our client Mr. Radcliff was not reciprocal. We repair many out of state vehicles of all categories including OTR trucks, Mr. Radcliff's posture is typical of customers who have insufficient funds to satisfy the bill, we have seen many like him, the prevarication and theatricals and the unpaid bills left behind in their wake, and doesn't care about the safety of others on OUR Colorado highways. He has mentioned that he has 20 years experience fixing vehicles however if the unimog he owns is a testimony of his work his work excellence leaves MUCH to be desired. <br> <br> Unimog owners I understand it is cool to close ranks and criticize businesses that serve your community but I respectfully suggest that you gain all of the facts before going into print as third part observers and critics not privy to the facts behind the scene. It is also noteworthy to say that we in Colorado have all seen the devastating effects caused when someone lacking good judgment and compassion for others they share the road with and kills innocent families all because they are to cheap to service their vehicles. The life we possibly saved could be yours or your families. Mr. Radcliff operates a rolling coffin, noted by it's black color, and will eventually kill someone, as proved by the accident he almost caused in front of the policeman as he left the shop driving into oncoming traffic and causing a near pileup on an already crowded highway 85. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember correctly CWR a few years back got into trouble something with the state of colorado, cold war somehow got title's for their unimogs in the southern USA somewhere and then would sale them in Colorado. I don’t remember the exact story but I do remember a few unhappy customers trying to get legal titles for their Unimogs and Pinz’s.<br>
<br>
<br>
Wayne<br>
<br>
404 troop

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one of those original 404,s<br> The problem was the State of Colorado, not Cold War.To my knowledge Patrick Robb handled the situation to the best of his abilities.<br> Remember, state officials are scared of gray market vehicles they have never seen or heard of before.<br> For those reasons and others,like making sure your truck is safe, does,nt pollute (remember road side auto pollution checking is coming)and above all tread lightly on public land.You never know who might in the future want to limit you rights to use such vehicles as the Unimog.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to present a little different viewpoint regarding CWR, and LinDen Eng. <br> <br> My dealings with both companies have been clean and above board. I puchased a mog from CWR, and had LinDen Eng. do some work on it before I took delivery. There were no issues with title, and I've been driving and playing with the mog for over two years with any major trouble at all.<br> <br> So while I can't comment on the experiences of others, I can say that my dealings have been fair, honest, and I'd do it again.<br> <br> Warning hell, I send people!<br> <br> Cheers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Titles

On the issue of Titles...<br>
<br>
While it is true that about 4 years ago I (Cold War Remarketing, Inc.) had some Title issuse with the State of Colorado, it is also true that all of these issues were resolved, at Cold War's Expense, as fast as the State of Colorado could process corrected Titles.<br>
<br>
All of the trouble came about when the State of Colorado changed their perspective on just what a Unimog was and what documentation they would accept. They then decided to apply this new perspective to Pinzgauers as well... retroactively!<br>
<br>
I complied on all vehicles sold in the 3.5 years prior to the change... which is no small number of vehicles... and brought ALL Titles from Cold War Remarketing into compliance... at a cost of about $178 per vehicle.<br>
<br>
There were 2 or 3 people out of the 376 customers who had to get new Titles issued who were dissatisfied with the speed at which the State of Colorado turned out new Titles... this was unfortunate and beyond my capabilities to spur the State into more prompt action.<br>
<br>
Cold War is a Licensed and Bonded Colorado Automobile Dealer in Good Standing and has always striven to comply with ALL applicable regulations... even when they change and cause previously 'good' transactions to become flawed... even when great expense is involved... to maintain the quality level of the products I sell and to keep my customers happy.<br>
<br>
I would hope that those reading this material view the 'Title Problem with the State of Colorado' as an indication of how Cold War has, and will continue to, treat customers as I would like to be treated... with courtesy, respect and integrity.<br>
<br>
All the best!<br>
<br>
Patrick T. Robb<br>
President, Cold War Remarketing, Inc.<br>
(303) 346-8462

·
Registered
2 Posts
"USED CAR" business...

Cold War Remarketing is a "USED CAR" place dealing in very specialized merchandise. Patrick Robb (President of CWR) imported/shipped an UNIMOG for me (which I found and purchased myself in Germany) to Denver a good 12 years ago. NO complaints, a little on the pricey side, but my vehicle got here and was Colorado titled without much fanfare http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif (BTW: I still have the 68 MOG and it is running strong).

Since I speak fluently German I offered Patrick my services to find some nice UNIMOGS for him directly from Germany for a little, very modest kick-back. He was very happy about this proposition. As far as I can recall, found a nice UNIMOG 6x6 (rare) with oversized tires and HIAB crane for him which I understand he did purchase. As I recall it was a steal, around DM 10,000.- or so. (The good old Deutsch Mark before the Euro.. yup, this was ~US$6,500 back then) There could have been some other vehicles as well, but I can't recall. Well, I was a lot younger and dumber then. As with all businesses and especially USED CAR dealers the old saying stands: GET IT IN WRITING!!! (This is not specific to CWR, it is just common sense and good practice.) Never saw a dime from Cold War Remarketing for my services, even after attempts to contact him. Patrick was all of a sudden very busy and couldn't somehow get together or settle any of my services. In this regards CWR is just like any other USED CAR place, alas with much cooler "toys"!

And of course Patrick is nice as one of the previous commentators observed. Almost all USED CAR salespeople are extremely nice and helpful... until... Bottom Line: GET THINGS IN WRITING! This is THE Litmus test: If they really stand behind their merchandise they should have no problem putting things in writing for you. If NOT, buyer beware, no matter how logical, how thoughtful, how convincing the oration/explanation of the sales staff.

In my opinion CWR is somewhat on the pricey side. A little due diligence may get you a better deal somewhere else. Of course CWR may rebuttal this comment and explain why their prices are warranted, "you get what you pay for...", etc. or as they actually say on their website, quote: "Not some Silly Registration or a Hand-Full of Confusing & Useless Import Documentation! You get MORE from a REAL DEALER as opposed to some "wholesaler" or "hobbiest" flying under the radar!" Something like that or similar is to be expected from any business dealing with competition!

Nevertheless, make NO mistake. There are some other excellent dealerships around. GOD bless free enterprise and healthy competition, Heaven sent for us consumers.http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

But then, CWR is local and there are not too many used UNIMOG dealers and repair shops in close vicinity. Maybe Patrick will do "pricematching" like big chain retailers, if you find the same UNIMOG or PINZGAUR cheaper somewhere else. LoL

As far as UNIMOG repair facilities are concerned, I never dealt with LinDen Eng. Just too far to drive a 406 diesel conveniently down there from NoCo. There is an alternative for those up North, GUNBARREL MOTORS in Niwot (Between Boulder & Longmont, CO). They are a typical MB dealer/repair shop, but actually had a Gaggenau trained UNIMOG mechanic as part of their staff. Had my MOG serviced there, very pleased! They can be pricey, but boy they know their stuff and always fix things RIGHT the first time... and quickly. Had several of my old clunker MB diesels serviced with GUNBARREL as well.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,608 Posts
WOW, I bet you really had to search to find this thread! it is almost 9 years since anyone posted about it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
YUP!

YES, stumbled across this post by pure coincidences researching some unrelated internet stuff about UNIMOGS. So I used my sleepless night to share my early UNIMOG experiences with CWR. Maybe someone else will find the comments useful.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,978 Posts
Good, glad this post came up. I have a lot of very valuable info to add.

Cold war remark = GOOD!
Linden Eng = BAAAAD!

Sorry if I rambled on a bit!

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,399 Posts
Good, glad this post came up. I have a lot of very valuable info to add.

Cold war remark = GOOD!
Linden Eng = BAAAAD!

Sorry if I rambled on a bit!
<shrug>

Years ago, before I bought my Mog from Zig in Germany, I was looking at one located in the DEN area. The guys I talked to at Linden Eng were very helpful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts